“THE DREWS - disappointed”

and 1 more site!
St Giles House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
King's Lynn
“THE DREWS - disappointed”
Reviewed 5 October 2009

Very good location, very nice reception area, breakfast good, but thats where it ends - we found the room we had was extremely noisy due to being at the front of the hotel (avoid room no 21), unless you like road traffic all night long!
There was also a nasty smell coming from the bathroom and as a plumber, this was becuase there was no trap on the basin - did report this on check out.
The plug sockets for kettle and hairdryer meant you had to go under the dressing table to plug in.
We really did not think the hotel was good value for money. More a 3 star hotel than 4

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
norfolk
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Booked for a Friday night dinner with partner as first & second choice restaurants full. On calling was told they could squeeze us in at 8.3 so assumed on this quote that they were going be busy - not the case 23 covers !!
Bread , not homemade or if it was very poor , starter of Mackeral , full of bones and I mean full !! Fish main course uncooked in middle !! veg cold. Pudding , hmmm is all I can say. To cap it off , older gentlemen presumed either Owner /manager arived to help set up for breakfast and obvioulsy did'nt want us there any more to enjoy the evening , with the slamming around and tutting !! All in all an aawful night ! and not to be repeated

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank happyeaterNorfolk
London
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I booked this hotel as a treat for my boyfriend's birthday. The location is great right in the centre of Norwich with the car park at the rear. I had booked a suite - room 7 and was plesantly surprised. The room was well furnished but not large enough really to be a suite. There was only a single armchair in the corner of the room. It was also extremely dark - we had to have the lights on even during the middle of the day. There is no air con which was badly needed during this hot summer's weekend. We had the windows open but as we were at the front of the hotel this was extremely noisy. God job we remembered the ear plugs!!
We had a few drinks in the bar and also breakfast the next morning. Good service and the cooked breakfast was great.

Just one thing that could be improved upon, the hotel supposedly prides itself on its personal service yet when checking out no one asked if I had enjoyed my stay. A small thing I know.
That said I would definately recommend this hotel and stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LondonMeandU
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2009

Glossy front of house, accommodation was at the back of the building, reached via long corridor and lift and another corridor. Room 10 was not as clean as I would have liked, a good vacuuming would not go a miss, walls need re-painting.
Our breakfast table was wobbly, I had to stick pieces of cardboard under it to keep it steady, several of the bowls of preserved fruit were empty so we could not help our selves to them if we had wanted to, my daughter asked for soya milk, the waiter was pleasant enough but said they had none, the cooked breakfast was only okay.

I suppose we had been spoilt because we had stayed at a bed and breakfast in Hindringham the previous night which was 5*, everything just perfect, so felt disappointment with St Giles House and do not feel the accommodation, service or food justified the £130 we paid for each room!

I would say that this hotel was not value for money as far as I was concerned and I would not go back.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Mavromatis
Coventry
Reviewed 28 June 2009

A nice comfortable hotel.Very clean , good room enjoyed our stay here

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Newmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Stayed on the sunday night of the bank holiday weekend for just 1 night. Only booked on the Friday night through Late Rooms so got a good deal. Printed the map off from St Giles own web site for instructions for the car park which worked very well - just a few steps from car to door with lift straight up to reception.
Receptionist very pleasant and told us that we had been upgraded from normal king room to a suite - she claimed this was her favourite room of the hotel. Considering we had paid so little we were surprised - she took us up to the room herself via bar and restaurant.
I think she expected us to be ecstatic when she opened the door to the room but frankly we were underwhelmed. The fact that there was a chandelier in the bathroon was of no importance to me and if that was a suite then I dread to think how small the usual rooms were.
We had booked the restaurant as we didn't want to be wandering around Norwich that night and when we went down at 8 found it empty. Given menus straight away but because we didn;t want a starter were told we would have to wait a while - 45 minutes before taken to table. Only 3 couples in room and we had all been put together in one corner with tables all jammed next to each other - not very nice having to listen to two conversations at once. Food nothing very exciting for the price and wine and drinks expensive.
Our room at front and very noisy through the night from the street - not much sleep. Lights also left on in the corridor all night so had to stuff cushions against bottom of door to keep out the light as big gap at the bottom.
No-one at breakfast the next morning which was included in the price.
Not sure I will stay there again particularly not at full price and wouldn't eat there unless I had to.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sootycat1
UK
Reviewed 9 May 2009

I stayed at this beautiful hotel with my husband on our honeymoon in Norwich. We arrived late after a long drive from London and were pleasantly surprised when we found the staff very welcoming and accommodating at this late hour. The toilets close to the reception area were the first places we visited-we were very impressed; they were clean and modern and highly decorated. We were then shown to our room-room 14- and I was so thrilled that the room looked exactly as it did in the photos. The rooms are a great size-maybe not as huge as the hotel's photos show-but definitely larger than the average in London. It was nicely decorated, very cozy and romantic. The bed was to die for! It was huge and comfortable, very warm and inviting and yes, very romantic. We had a small balcony in our room which really didn't provide much of an exciting view-but that was fine. The shower was lovely and the bathroom very clean. The location really cannot be beat. It's less than a minute away from Norwich's famous Cathedral and in the heart of everything. The streets are narrow little cobbled stoned ones-very reminiscent of France to me! The breakfast was fantastic. We spent 4 nights at this hotel and every day was a great, very filling breakfast. We really loved staying at St. Giles House Hotel! From the secured car park to the breakfast, to the staff-who took the time to write down directions for places of interest and other things for us, to the plush, huge beds. It was all very much worth it for me and my husband. I think the only 2 things I would change if I could would be: the restaurant stopped room service orders at 930pm-seemed too early especially for late arrivals, and I really hoped that since we let them know it was our honeymoon, that they would have done something a little bit special for us-a room upgrade or even some wine would have really sealed the deal.
No worries. We would DEFINITELY return to this hotel!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple