“Fantastic period hotel and excellent service”

and 1 more site!
St Giles House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 3 November 2009

Me and my husband went to stay here on one of their Sunday Break offers, which was excellent value. The hotel is near enough to the town centre to be convenient but on one of the quieter roads into town so it feels out of the way. It was lovely and quiet when we arrived there so the receptionist showed us around the hotel and then to our room, which was one of the King rooms. The room and the hotel are decorated with amazing 1930's furniture which really give it character. We got dinner and breakfast with the room, and dinner especially was gorgeous! We also used the bar and the lounge which were lovely, it felt like our own it was so quiet! Would recommend staying there on a Sunday because of it being quieter, and the Sunday offer of course. We normally stay in 4 star hotels but this is probably the best we've ever been to.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for St Giles House Hotel

Reviewed 7 October 2009

Mum and stayed one night at this hotel and thoroughly enjoyed. I chose this hotel for it's central location, and I loved the look of the Grade II listed building. The price of the room also included breakfast. The flat screen TV contained a DVD player and you are able to borrow DVD's from Reception. Free wi-fi was also included, but I didn't get a particularly good connection - didn't worry me as I had my modem stick with me. We had a delicious evening meal at the hotel restaurant, and a locely breakfast the next morning.

The only issue we had with the hotel room was that the toilet roll holder fell off the bathroom wall - and this can't have been the first time it occurred given how easily fell off.

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed 5 October 2009

Very good location, very nice reception area, breakfast good, but thats where it ends - we found the room we had was extremely noisy due to being at the front of the hotel (avoid room no 21), unless you like road traffic all night long!
There was also a nasty smell coming from the bathroom and as a plumber, this was becuase there was no trap on the basin - did report this on check out.
The plug sockets for kettle and hairdryer meant you had to go under the dressing table to plug in.
We really did not think the hotel was good value for money. More a 3 star hotel than 4

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Booked for a Friday night dinner with partner as first & second choice restaurants full. On calling was told they could squeeze us in at 8.3 so assumed on this quote that they were going be busy - not the case 23 covers !!
Bread , not homemade or if it was very poor , starter of Mackeral , full of bones and I mean full !! Fish main course uncooked in middle !! veg cold. Pudding , hmmm is all I can say. To cap it off , older gentlemen presumed either Owner /manager arived to help set up for breakfast and obvioulsy did'nt want us there any more to enjoy the evening , with the slamming around and tutting !! All in all an aawful night ! and not to be repeated

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank happyeaterNorfolk
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I booked this hotel as a treat for my boyfriend's birthday. The location is great right in the centre of Norwich with the car park at the rear. I had booked a suite - room 7 and was plesantly surprised. The room was well furnished but not large enough really to be a suite. There was only a single armchair in the corner of the room. It was also extremely dark - we had to have the lights on even during the middle of the day. There is no air con which was badly needed during this hot summer's weekend. We had the windows open but as we were at the front of the hotel this was extremely noisy. God job we remembered the ear plugs!!
We had a few drinks in the bar and also breakfast the next morning. Good service and the cooked breakfast was great.

Just one thing that could be improved upon, the hotel supposedly prides itself on its personal service yet when checking out no one asked if I had enjoyed my stay. A small thing I know.
That said I would definately recommend this hotel and stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LondonMeandU
Reviewed 16 July 2009

Glossy front of house, accommodation was at the back of the building, reached via long corridor and lift and another corridor. Room 10 was not as clean as I would have liked, a good vacuuming would not go a miss, walls need re-painting.
Our breakfast table was wobbly, I had to stick pieces of cardboard under it to keep it steady, several of the bowls of preserved fruit were empty so we could not help our selves to them if we had wanted to, my daughter asked for soya milk, the waiter was pleasant enough but said they had none, the cooked breakfast was only okay.

I suppose we had been spoilt because we had stayed at a bed and breakfast in Hindringham the previous night which was 5*, everything just perfect, so felt disappointment with St Giles House and do not feel the accommodation, service or food justified the £130 we paid for each room!

I would say that this hotel was not value for money as far as I was concerned and I would not go back.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Mavromatis
Reviewed 28 June 2009

A nice comfortable hotel.Very clean , good room enjoyed our stay here

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple