“I like it!!”

Holiday Inn Norwich City
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Stay here a lot for work - staff excellent, rooms good. The night porter is a big darts fan so if you fancy tales of Eric Bristow and Keithj Dellar, have a chat with him, he is a really nice guy.

Reception staff always helpful and great views of Carrow Road pitch from back of hotel.Would always stay here when visting Norwich

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Thank you very much for your review about our hotel and about our darts fan, he is really pleased that you have mentioned him.

The recetion team recently won Front Office Team of the year so I'm really pleased that you also recognised them in your review they certainly deserve it as do all of the team at the hotel as we also won Hotel of the Year.

Great to hear you'll be staying again the next time you're in Norwich and thanks again for taking the time to tell us what you think.

Reviewed 6 June 2012

I've stayed at this hotel now for a few weeks on business. If you're looking for something clean and practical at a reasonable price then the Holiday Inn in Norwich is a good option.

On the plus side, the staff are really nice, the rooms are a good size, have never had any issues with noisy neighbors, the gym (while small) rarely has anyone in it, there's free wi-fi in the lobby, and it's close to the newly developed Riverside attractions including chain restaurants and a large cinema.

While the location is reasonable, it's also not ideal. Norwich is a nice city, but other than the Riverside attractions above it's a solid 15 - 20 minute walk to the nice, old part of town.

My main issue with this hotel is that the channel selection on the TV is terrible. I don't watch much TV, but when I do I at least want to have the basic channel options which have presumably been blocked to increase the liklihood of guests paying for movies. Temperature control also leaves something to be desired.

Room Tip: If you want to get a room with a view of the footbal pitch, pretend that you're in Norwich on bu...
2  Thank champignonMCMXLVII

Thank you for your review about our hotel and for the very positive feedback about the rooms and the team here.

It is about 15 minutes to Tombland but as you can walk along the riverside many people enjoy that experience, there is a bus service available from Morrison's supermarket which as you know is across the road from the hotel and this runs every 10 minutes depending on traffic in the city!

The TV channel situation is an ongoing issue if you look back at previous reviews and one I am trying to resolve. The TV's when installed 5 years ago were not Freeview sets as this was not a standard fitting back then. Trying to get new channels added has become a real bug bear of mine and it is in the process of being resolved so please be assured we are working on it.

Thanks again for your review and I hope the TV issue does not put you off returning to us again.

Reviewed 3 June 2012

Just returned from a one-night stay at the Holiday Inn Norwich City and we were absolutely delighted with the hotel and the level of customer service. This place has really got its act together and it is clear that all of the staff have been excellently trained on how to make customers feel cared for! We had Room 401, with 2 double beds, which directly overlooks the Norwich City football pitch and although we don't follow football, it looked very nice! Just a short walk away is a Leisure Park including an Odeon cinema, Wetherspoons Pub, Frankie & Bennys, Pizza Hut, Fitness First, Morrisons, etc etc and from here you can walk all along the river into the city in about 20 minutes. The Riverside Walk is lovely, you feel as if you have gone out into the country, you pass (or dont pass!) a lovely alehouse called the Red Lion and a 14th-century defensive tower, always with the Cathedral spire to your left. Eventually you come to a road bridge and take a left into the city through medieval Tombland. Norwich is a super city and the Holiday Inn a great place to stay!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Thank you very much for your review following your recent stay with us. I'm delighted you enjoyed the hotel so much and that the team looked after you so well.

We recently won hotel of the year, front office team of the year and contract cleaning team of the year so I'm not surprised that you found everybody so helpful and enthusiastic.

The pitch view rooms are superb and people cannot believe it when they see them for the first time, they constantly amaze me and I see them everyday.

Norwich is a beatiful city full of history and used to have a pub for everyday of the year, unfortunately they have dwindled somewhat but the ones that are left are all well worth a visit and it sounds like you found a few of them, look out for the "Fat Cat" on your next trip it's won every award going for real ale and is a must for any real ale drinkers.

The riverside opened about ten years ago and as you said has everything there for everybody plus we are only a short walk away from the old part of the city and the cathedral.

I hope you get an opportunity to visit the city again soon and thank you very much for your really kind comments.

Reviewed 3 June 2012

A three night stay, literally overlooking Norwich City football ground proved the excellent inner city stay. The overall experience was very comfortable indeed and the staff all go that extra mile to be helpful and friendly. I can't think of a single criticism - breakfast offered an excellent selection and equally excellent quality. Well done Holiday Inn - a great benchmark for the whole chain.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the ground - good fun and fascinating
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your great review of our hotel. The team are delighted you had such a good stay with us and that you've taken time out to review us on TA.

The pitch view rooms are superb and on a match day the atmosphere is electric and always worth paying that bit extra to watch the match in comfort, style and warmth!

I hope you get the chance to visit Norwich again soon and thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed 25 May 2012

I am a regular visitor to this hotel through business and it is a fantastic place. The staff are friendly, polite and always willing to help. The quality of the rooms and amenities are fantastic. The hotel opened five years ago but everything looks as new such is the great standard of maintenance and cleanliness. I've said all that because I love the hotel and for anyone staying in Norwich I would say stay here. however, for me there is a big negative and that is the food in the bar /restaurant. As a business traveller I often eat in the bar/ restaurant just because it is easy but I am constantly disappointed by what I receive. The food is not cheap so is it reasonable to expect to receive dishes which are what they say on the menu. I could probably give 20 examples of meals which aren't't as promised but here are a couple: Greek style pizza supposedly with feta cheese served with cubes of mozzarella instead, last week a special chicken dish with pine nuts replaced with peanuts! I am sorry but that us just rubbish....Basically when an ingredient is missing it is being replaced by the next nearest thing but come on!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

Thank you for your review about our hotel. I am really disappointed to read your feedback about the food you have been getting as I am sure you are aware we have been working hard to offer variety to our guests, particularly people like yourself who stays often.

I am having a meeting with the kitchen team regarding your comments and I would ask that on your next visit you call in and see me in my office which is directly next to the reception desk so that I can discuss this with you further. The issues you are encountering should not be happening and I'm really sorry you've had to put up with this during your stays with us.

On a lighter note I was delighted to read your comments about the hotel's quality rooms and amenities and the excellent staff, thank you. Food quality will be improved we promise!

Reviewed 20 May 2012

Just returned from a one night stay here at this hotel. A new, stylish place to stay in the middle of this lovely city. At a very reasonable price with breakfast this hotel is the only place to stay in Norwich.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a superior room or pitch view :)
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

Thank you very much for your review it really is appreciated by all of us at the hotel. It has a huge impact on all of the team when people take the time and effort to place a review on TA as it really makes all of the hard work we put in worthwhile.

Thanks again and we hope that you can come back again soon.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

Just returned from a 3 night stay here. Overall it was ok, the front of house staff on reception were very helpful and friendly as was Nimrit in the bar.They all went out of their way to show me what to see and do in the town. Thank you. The room was comfortable, spacious and clean. My only criticism is the lack of choice on the tv. There wasn't even the usual selection of free to air channels that is available generally. Breakfast at £11 was expensive.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

Thank you for your review and for your great comments regarding the team here particularly Nimrit who was delighted to be mentioned by name.

We are currently adding Sky Sports one, two, three and four to our system and you are totally right we do need more channels which I am also trying to organise. This is a bit of a process but I am getting there albeit slowly and I do understand your frustrations at the lack of channels. I would certainly hope if you are visiting again I will be able to offer at least another seven channels maybe more!

It was good to see you found the rooms comfortable and clean as this is something we also pride ourselves upon.

I do hope you will not be put off staying with us again due to the television channels and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.