“Recent stay”

Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Cromer, United Kingdom
“Recent stay”
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Stayed recently as a christmas present from our son, lovely room with pitchside view. All good until very noisy from a party above the Jarrold stand then noisy people coming in and banging doors, hardly slept, then next morning, long queues to get into the restaurant, the food in the cold buffett was curled up and dried out cheese and meat. The plates were hot alongside. I think maybe someone had turned on the heat lights above the buffett. Tables much much too close together, a complaint I had read from a few months ago said the same thing and was informed that it was a temporary measure!!!! still the same.

Room Tip: Not sure what I can say as the room was lovely but the noise was dreadful and the breakfast awful, s...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Thank you for your TA review your guest questionnaire and your letter regarding your recent stay at our hotel all of which we received and were in the process of answering. I was pleased to read that that you enjoyed your "Pitch view" room and your evening meal in our restaurant.

I was sorry however to hear that noise from the football club disturbed your evening later on. The football club is not part of the hotel as the hotel is not part of the football club and therefore we have no control over noise that may come from the club during an evening function.

The football club has many function rooms and restaurants and as I'm sure you can appreciate on a match day they have many functions that run through into the evenings, a win I'm sure encourages more celebrations so I would imagine this is what disturbed you. It's very rare this happens and not something I've really had complaints about in the past.

Noise on the way to bed does sometimes happen again it was a Saturday night after a win, I'm certainly not condoning this but I did not get any other complaints so it seems it was a couple of rooms close to yours that were the culprits, if anybody calls down to reception we always take action as we did when you called down. My understanding is you only called once.

The hotel has 150 bedrooms and we can sleep over 300 people so whilst we do our upmost to ensure there are no delays at breakfast sometimes if everybody comes down together this will happen and "Yes" we will get a que of people. To try and avoid this we utilise the bar area, the tables are not as close together as the restaurant ones although your's is only the second comment stating this out of the 1000's of guests we have staying with us each month, so I was surprised that after reading a previous review regarding this you still chose to sit in the restaurant and not the bar area. Perhaps you did not see these tables.

Our breakfast is usually very well received as I'm sure you've read from the previous reviews so I was disappointed to read your comments about the cold buffet which I have addressed with my head chef.

Thank you again for your review, your questionnaire (They are not read and binned we just need time to respond) and your letter and rather than now reply to all three I hope I have covered all of your comments in one go via this public forum!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
London
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I dont normally write reviews however I thought I would in this case! This was our 3rd visit to the hotel as Our team was in town and for a 0-0 result it was best all round. Norwich is fantastic and this hotel stands out from the rest! The staff is what makes this place our only disapointment was to learn Ashleigh the front desk guy has moved on, not the same without him, but still the very high standard. Thnk you Holiday Inn Norwich see you next time we are in town!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Andy B
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this review, 11 February 2013
Thank you for your review of the hotel and its great to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us again. It's so important that we get it right time after time and your review proves to me and the team that we are!

Ashleigh went back to cars his true passion and we do miss him, however the team have continued to grow and develop and his leaving gives others a chance to try new roles which is working very well for everybody.

I'm sure that you'll enjoy your next visit just as much as this one and we look forward to welcoming you back when Fulham come to play again.

Thanks again for your review its greatly appreciated by us all.
London
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Upon our arrival we received a warm welcome from the General Manager who suggested we might like a room on the sixth floor over looking the football pitch. The view was fantastic and I could only think this would be sold out well in advance if football scheduled. The room was well appointed and reasonably spacious. Don't be fooled by the location of the hotel. Granted it is not in the city centre, however please bear in mind Norwich is a small city. The hotel is no more than a pleasant 15 minute walk to the centre of town. It is well placed for the train station too, which is a 7 minute walk. Breakfast was the usual fayre with the added bonus of being able to order freshly cooked items from the kitchen such as an omlette or smoked fish. We would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: For something diffrent opt for a room on a high floor over looking the football pitch!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
Thank you very much for your review about our hotel. I'm really pleased you liked the hotel, the rooms on the 6th floor are lovely and the views from either side of the hotel are fantastic. In the summer the city facing ones are my favourite as you can see the mass of trees which surround our city and Whitlingham Broad which is only a ten minute walk away but well worth a visit in the summer.

The walk into the city is really simple and as you stated only a ten/fifthteen stroll and as the walk is along the riverside it's a lovely way to start your visit to our great city.

Breakfast is good value for money and I'm pleased you tried one of our "specials" off the menu, they are freshly made and well worth the wait, my favourite scrambled eggs and smoked salmon!

We always appreciate a guests review as it allows us to monitor how we are performing and the fact you'll return is always a good indication we're getting it right.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
wirral
Reviewed 30 January 2013

2 nights in fab Norwich,Ate at Delias restaurant which was superb. We stayed in a deluxe room 607 with a view of pitch,Watched football saturday afternoon from room!![ Newcastle turned up but never played] went back into city , had a great night at cuban restaurant with halfprice cocktails!! . What a great location, you can walk in to town via Morrisons/entertainment complex then across river only 10 to 15 mins. We are coming back .

Room Tip: Worth paying a bit extra for deluxe.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank debed
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Thank you very much for your review about our hotel and of the course our great city. I'm delighted you had such a good time and the rooms as you say are fabulous with the pitch views well worth that little bit extra, shame about Newcastle it really was not the best game we've seen here!

Our location is perfect far enough away from the city centre to avoid the noise but close enough to walk in 10/15 minutes depending on which river crossing you take.

We have some superb restaurants in the city and you can get just about any type of cuisine, add in the history, the night life, the Broads in the summer and you just about have the perfect location I know why you want to come back!

We all really appreciate your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future for you next visit. Thanks again.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2013

On January 15th 2013 around lunch time in the center of Norwich very heavy snowfall. Checked the local weather forecast snow would last approx 1 hour. After 2 hours of heavy snow,roads were becoming gridlocked,road closures every few minutes it was not looking good. Living in Cambridge it became evident that it would be very difficult to get home. So around 2.30 pm I called the Holiday In in Norwich to check availability. Only a few rooms remained I explained the problem I was faced with and asked if I could call back later hoping for a break in the weather. The receptionist was very understanding and would hold the room until I called back. By 4.00 pm situation even worse recalled the Hotel now down to the last 2 rooms and confirmed booking.
My sincere thanks to the Holiday Inn and a special mention to Jess & Kirsty for their help.
Steve.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Stephen P
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this review, 25 January 2013
Thank you for your review and I'm delighted that Jess and Kirsty looked after you so well.

It was a crazy day and I'm certain you made the right decision staying as it took some of my colleagues 6 hours to get home and they only live 9 miles away.

Jess and Kirsty both send their thanks for your kind comments and as always we look forward to seeing you here again in the future hopefully without the snow and ice that accompanied you on this visit.

Thanks very much again for your comments they are very much appreciated.
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and I was overwhelmed by the service I received. It was very clean,warm with friendly staff. I asked in advance about a restaurant which could be recommended and was not let down. Had a fantastic experience and will be visiting again.keep up the good work and I've raved about it. Thanks again x

• Stayed January 2013
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel all of the team are delighted you had such a great stay with us it's so important to all of us that our guests leave us having had a stay to remember and we have clearly achieved that with yourselves.

Norwich is such a beautiful city and the choice of restaurants is totally cosmopolitan so it' s really good to hear we were able to recommend somewhere that was perfect for your night out.

I look forward to being able to clone you back again in the future and thanks again for your really kind comments.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2013

second visit and again it was clean, tidy and comfortable. Checking in was a little slow but it was near christmas with people using the hotel as a base for the party at the football ground. Rooms were clean and well equiped, tv signal was poor though. Food was good and good choice, served quickly. Children were welcomed and enjoyed the food too. Parking is next to the football ground car park so make sure of times that Norwich are playing at home!! We got a car parking ticket from hotel security but once they realised we had provided our registration the evening before they soon sorted it out with a friendly manner. I would definately go there again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank claire a
Thank you for your review about our hotel and we are really pleased to hear that on your second visit you found us just as good as the first.

We strive to ensure every guest has a stay to remember for all of the right reasons and as you can see from previous reviews we seem to be getting it just right.

Sorry about the car park a new company has taken over and we did experience some teething problems in the first few weeks of operation but I'm glad the confusion with the ticket was dealt with quickly and efficiently.

I'd like to thank you again for your kind comments every review is shared with all of the team and we really do appreciate every piece of feedback we get as it enables us to continue offering Great Service that our Guests Love, thanks again.