We stayed in a suite at this hotel on a Saturday night (not a match day) in April, for about £100. As a price per square foot, that's extremely good value. The bedroom was perfectly adequate, and large enough to take the cot we had asked to be provided. I suppose the standard of accommodation is above a typical budget chain (HI Express, or Premier Inn) but it's still furnished with cheap furniture and fittings, and the large floor space doesn't automatically translate into a feeling of luxury.
The second room of the suite was configured as a lounge/office/dining room, and was accessed by double connecting doors from the bedroom, or directly from the corridor outside using its own door. This gave us a little concern, as we were putting our child in that room, and hadn't anticipated that there would be outside access to the room. As the suite was at the end of the corridor, there was little/no passing traffic in the corridor, so it was only of small concern. There was also a tiny empty fridge, which was handy for small drinks bottles.
There was a fairly large TV in both rooms, with a selection of channels and fairly poor reception. There were also separate air-conditioning controllers in both rooms, which we found difficult to get to comfortable temperatures. I assume they're not thermostatically controlled, as the rooms would either get too hot or too cold, unless you switched the fan off every now and then. Still, for £100, we were glad to have air-con at all.
The parking situation at the hotel is less than ideal, as you need to park in the football club's car park round the back of the hotel. The hotel uses a small corner of this vast, seemingly unsecured car park, though later in the evening, many guests were parking their cars round the front of the hotel.
The bar was surprisingly expensive, and not particularly relaxed, mainly containing furniture best suited to people eating meals, rather than lounging. However it is fairly nicely decorated. There were also some vending machines between the bar and the reception desk, offering various drinks and snacks.
A couple of minutes's walk away, there's a Morrisons supermarket, which is a better value source for bottled water, snacks, etc. A little beyond the supermarket, you get to an area with a number of pubs, restaurants, a cinema, etc. We found it to be a bit grim, but might have liked it if we'd been in our late teens or early twenties, like most of the people filling the streets in the evening.
In fairness, this should be a 3.5 star review. The hotel was perfectly adequate, and we had no real cause for complaint. It's not great, but it's cheap and it's fairly fresh and clean. Considering the absence of high quality hotels in and around Norwich, it's a decent option if you need to stay in Norwich.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This contemporary, stylish, award winning hotel (Hotel of the Year 2011) is the perfect property for business and leisure guests visiting historic Norwich. Holiday Inn Norwich City is the newest full service property in the city and has 150 air conditioned, light, modern bedrooms all of which are non smoking. Many of the rooms offer a pitch view of Norwich City's premier league ground and with a mix of executive, suites, standard, twin and accessible rooms we can offer something for everybody. The hotels atmospheric bar is a meeting place for everybody and serves a superb selection of wines, beers, bar snacks or full meals from our dine anywhere menu, or dine in style in our superb restaurant, the choice is always yours. Thinking of exploring? The hotel is in walking distance of Norwich's two cathedrals, its stunning Castle dating back to the Norman Conquest and the superb Norwich Lanes for individual bespoke shops. Alternatively head for the Chapelfield Shopping Centre with over 90 well known outlets making it a shopping paradise and placing Norwich in the top 10 of UK shopping destinations. With only a 5 minute walk to Norwich station leave the car at the hotel and let the train take the strain and visit the beautiful North Norfolk coast, the delightful Norfolk Broads or the seaside resort of Great Yarmouth what could be easier? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Norwich City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Norwich City Hotel Norwich
- Norwich Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Norwich City Norfolk