“Nice hotel, good location, excellent staff”

Holiday Inn Norwich City
Ranked #4 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Nice clean hotel, rooms are modern and comfy. Restaurant and bar are nice and the food is lovely. Staff are excellent. Breakfast is really lovely with lots on offer. Good location close to a big retail park and only a 5 minute walk to riverside which has lots of bars, restaurants and a cinema and bowling and a little further walk to the town centre. overall a good place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Hiren V V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Jennine B, I'm delighted that overall you had an excellent stay with us at Holiday Inn Norwich City and thanks for your kind words about out team - I will pass this on and I know they will be made up.

Everyone will be disappointed that we missed out on getting 5*s, however we all look forward to your next visit and hopefully get 5*s.

Kind regards

Hiren Varvadekar

Write a ReviewReviews (1,025)

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed at the Holiday Inn over the weekend with my boyfriend, it was booked quite late so I thought we would get a better deal than what we did. The staff were very friendly on reception, they told us where the night life was and it was a 2 minute (5 minute in heels) walk from the hotel. The downfalls of the stay was one of the staff for breakfast wasn't very welcoming although I understand with it being a Sunday morning, and that the hot food wasn't particularly great. Otherwise I would recommend it for a short city break completely! Enjoyed the stay very much and would go back just would have made the booking without breakfast included.

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear DLemming,

I'm delighted that overall you had an excellent stay with us at Holiday Inn Norwich City and thanks for your kind words about our reception team - I will pass this on and I know they will be made up.

I will have a quiet word with restaurant staff and share your feedback.

Please do contact us direct for your future stay as we will guarantee you best price and hope to see you soon on your next visit.

Kind regards

Reviewed 2 June 2014

So we went away for a romantic weekend and wanted to go somewhere different - neither of us had ever properly been to Norwich before and thought it would be fun to explore.
Well. What a Hotel to choose. It was brilliantly clean, the staff were all absolutely lovely and helpful and when my Bank put a stop on my card because I was paying a large sum for the room they did everything to could to help get it resolved.
I have few to zero criticisms of this place - getting the executive room was definitely worth it, absolutely stuinning! I'll pick out my top 3 good and top 3 bad (although the bad will be clutching at straws)

Top 3 Good:
-Fantastic Staff
-Perfect Location to see the City
-Stunning Rooms

Top 3 Bad:
- Try and avoid going when there's something going on in the stadium, the room wasn't hugely noise proof and we could hear all the shouting from the training down on the pitch (this wasn't a problem though as it didn't go on late at all)
- Bar closes a little early, we got in at 1:25am on the friday night hoping we might be able to grab a nightcap at the bar, but it was shut (though we still managed to get wine on room service so not really a problem)
-There was no BBC3 on the TV in the room (I told you I was clutching at straws!)

Overall, I owuld say that this hotel is perfect for any traveller for any occation at any time of the year (jusat maybe not always when the football is on! =] ) Thank you Holiday Inn!

Room Tip: Pick an Executive Room if you can, and if you don't like noise from football training tec. ask f...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hiren V V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear FuriousMouse91,

Thank you for the wonderful feedback following your recent stay. Each and every member of my team is trained to ensure all guests have an excellent stay and I’m delighted to hear the staff looked after you so well. I will be sharing your comments with the team.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of looking after you again when you are next in the area.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Great Location and easy to find, just follow signs to the football club. Not central but close. A good amount of parking, £5 extra though. Large comfortable rooms. Spotlessly clean and a choice of pillows. I slept well even though I was next to the lifts. Mine overlooked the stadium. I had an excellent view of the pitch from room 315. Bar looked OK but we did not use it. If you want a late drink make sure you allow a credit card to be used when you arrive or else they will not serve you, Oh well, their loss.

We went elsewhere for breakfast. £9 is a bit steep

Room Tip: Contact them early if you want a room facing the pitch.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Mike P,

Many thanks for your review. I'm very happy that you found your room clean and comfortable.

The rooms that overlook the stadium do give an amazing view which I’m glad you enjoyed.

I hope you will be staying with us on your next visit to Norwich.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

In reading the recent reviews of this hotel, I do wonder whether we stayed in the same hotel or perhaps our expectations were different. I am an IHG Gold Card holder which would ordinarily result in an upgrade to an Executive Room, subject to availability, along with breakfast and wifi which are also benefits that come with an Executive Room. However, as this was a 2 night stay with my wife, I thought that I would, in any event, book an Executive Room in the off-chance that there might not be an upgrade available and in the belief that an Executive Room would be superior to a Standard Room. It transpires that there is, in fact, no difference - the rooms are the same - tired and tatty if our Room was anything to go by. It's the benefits that make the difference - the aforementioned breakfast and wifi, which we would have got anyway, a robe each (there was only one), slippers (there were none) and a kit-kit each (we got those!).

However, what really made me angry was that after the first night, I noticed a stain on the pillow-case - happy to accept that I may have spilt something - but I expected that this would be changed when the room was made up that day. When we returned for the second night, I was pleased to note that the pillowcase appeared to have been changed - wrong, it had merely been turned over so that the side stained was hidden. This is unacceptable and the sort of thing you might expect in some third world country low level hotel.

Finally, the bed had clearly seen better days - you would have a better night in a Travelodge or Premier Inn.

The upsides were that the breakfast was generally good but as someone else on this forum has said, you shouldn't really be able to go wrong with that - and the staff appeared to be genuinely keen to please.

I spend about 40% of each year in hotels around the world - IHG is my default chain and it is generally Intercons and Crowne Plazas that I stay in although Holiday Inns do feature also and I have stayed in some very good Holiday Inns. However, unfortunately Holiday Inn Norwich City is not one of them - this is a Budget Hotel at non-Budget prices.

Room Tip: I don't believe there are any - money needs to be spent upgrading these - I was told by Receptio...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hiren V V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear BTravEssex,

Thank you for you recent review on TripAdvisor. I was disappointed to read your experience was not to the usual high standards. I am sorry that you were not given an apology or even an acknowledgement of the issue, this is certainly not the way we treat any of our guests. Please be assured that I will investigate this matter personally to try to ensure that this experience is not repeated.

The hotel was built in year 2007 and generally receives extremely positive feedback for all our bedrooms. All our bedrooms are modern and contemporary with all the facilities you would expect from a Holiday Inn brand. Our executive rooms also benefits from a minibar, a safe, bathrobes, premium toiletries, better view, higher floor etc. and I am sorry to read that you felt the rooms were tired and tatty. Having discussed with head housekeeper - please accept my apologies that your pillow case was not changed however this was an oversight and had you bought this to our attention we would have certainly resolved this.

I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to be of service to you again in the future, to restore your faith in us that this is not the usual standard.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Very polite staff that make you feel welcome as soon as you walk in the door. The rooms are a decent size, clean and kept in good condition. The rooms over looking the football ground have a nice view, even more so when there's not actually a game playing. Definitely worth the price and a good hotel to stay in the centre of Norwich!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jamie-LeighRoehrig,

Thank you for your wonderful 5 star review. I am delighted that you had such a pleasant stay.

The hotel staff always aims to exceed guest expectations and I will certainly be sharing your kind comments with the team.

I look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We've stayed here the last 3 years for the Norwich Bike event and this hotel is always well presented, with pleasant and knowledgeable staff and comfortable rooms. On site Parking until 12 for only £4.95 means you're not worried about your car in a public car park. Lovely riverside walk into the city centre takes about 15 minutes. Highly recommended.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear MaisieMaz,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review. I am thrilled to hear that you have continued to stay with us for 3 years and have always had an excellent stay. Parking is certainly very reasonable and convenient for our guests.

I do hope it will not be too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back.