“The Best of the Best” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“The Best of the Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I booked a midweek break away with my partner and we were both completely blown away by this hotel, it is without a doubt one of the best hotels you can imagine, the whole experience is utterly perfect and Holiday Inn should be proud of this hotel and its staff.

The hotel is in a very good location close to Norwich city centre and easy to drive to, this would also be a very good place to stay if you were planning on watching a match at the adjacent Norwich City football ground. The walk in Norwich city centre is around 10-15 minutes up a slight hill, with the Riverside area about 5-10 minutes away which is good for meals and drinks out.

Inside the hotel is very modern, stylish and spotlessly clean. The staff obviously take utmost pride in the appearance of the hotel. There was not one fault we could find.

The room was large in size, with high quality fittings and fixtures all round including the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable with a choice of firm or soft pillows, added to this the window kept out any traffic noise, we heard no noise from the hallway and the air conditioning unit was minimal in noise and all contributed to a perfect nights sleep. The room comes with the usual supply of tea and coffee, with shower gel also provided and a non-slip mat to place in the bath.

I can recommend the breakfast which was a buffet service offering a Full English, salad, cereals and pastries. Much more than what I was expecting but still to the same high standards offered at this hotel.

I must end by saying that the biggest highlight of this hotel is the staff. From the moment we arrived and until we left all were polite, smart and gave the impression nothing was too much trouble for the guest.

We will definitely return to this hotel soon and will recommend it to anyone who is thinking of staying in Norwich. You will stay nowhere better than this Holiday Inn!

Room Tip: Room 112 was larger due to being on the corner of the hotel. So I'd guess any room number ending...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hiren V V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Hello Xp132476, I am always glad to hear that we have helped make someone's stay so very special. I am very pleased you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and it is always very rewarding to receive positive feedback about the staff and the service they delivered. Thank you for your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Hiren Varvadekar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Canvey Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was the first time me and my partner had stayed in a Holiday Inn and can say we were very impressed with the room, service well pretty much everything! Two days before we stayed at a Best western in a different location and is safe to say the standards at this Hotel were miles better than the place we stayed. The staff were very friendly and met our needs and made sure we had the best nights stay we could. The air con worked so well the room was cool just the way we liked. Its in a perfect location for all needs! Morrisons over the road, ten minute walk down the river (at night well lit and romantic! Well if your a helpless romantic like me im sure you would think so) to find many restaraunts, and about a twenty minute walk up hill to the city center and to see the stunning castle which i truly recommend going to if you love history! Breakfast in the morning was a help yourself and was wonderful. Evening meal i couldn't comment on as we met up with a friend for a meal. All in all a wonderful stay and will look forward to going again in the near future!

Dear Karaannej,

Thank you for your great 5 star review. The team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon. Please feel free to contact us direct for your next stay and we will make sure your time with is memorable.

Driffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights last weekend and was really impressed. Modern and clean throughout. Very nice fresh rooms, and two double beds! Overlooked the football pitch. Good location for station and riverside area and just a short walk to the city centre. Would def stay here again.

Stayed July 2014
Hi Johnatdriff, thank you for your kind words. Our rooms are indeed very spacious and modern with all the amenities you would expect. I am pleased to hear that your stay was enjoyable and please feel free to give me a call direct when to you are ready to visit us again.

Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

This hotel is great. We went up to watch Norwich vs. Man City and you could've watched the game from our room!

View apart the hotel is a decent holiday inn nothing wrong at all, decent car parking and check inn. Breakfast was adequate and not too far from the city centre.

Room Tip: Get a pitch view on a High Floor... especially on match day.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hiren V V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Hello ChrisDerbyUk, you are absolutely right, the view of Norwich City's pitch from the bedrooms is truly amazing and certainly one of its kind. I am extremely pleased to hear that your stay was enjoyable and I am sure we will get to see you soon.

Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Wow! I'm bowled over- a room which looks over the stands & pitch of the compact Carrow Road ground in Norwich.
(The bards amongst you would probably say I was lucky Norwich weren't playing at the time)
The room was a good size & was spotless. Breakfast in the morning was a DIY affair but was truly outstanding.
I can't comment on evening dining but, on every other level, this hotel scored a "home win"!

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hiren V V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Fantastic comment Hearts5Hibs1, I am bowled over too!! Thank you for your lovely review. Our rooms do really have excellent view of Norwich City stadium and the pitch view rooms are amazing - home supporter or not.

I am sure we will do doubt see you soon in future and please contact us direct, to guarantee you get your fabulous pitch view room and indeed we can book a table for you in our restaurant to experience our evening meals.

Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

For our one night stay in Norwich the Carrow Road Holiday Inn was excellent. We chose the hotel for its location as part of the Norwich City Football Stadium complex and were delighted to be given a room that looked out onto the football stadium. Our room was spotless, spacious and very comfortable. The decor is very modern and business-like. The staff were welcoming and keen to please.
We had hoped to have dinner at the Delia Smith Restaurant which is around the corner and part of the football ground, as this has had great reviews. Unfortunately at the time of our visit it was only open on a Saturday evening, possibly due to our visit being outside the football season !
The hotel location was quiet in the evening yet handy for shopping during the day as several retail outlets are nearby, including a huge Morrisons supermarket.
The slightly uphill walk to the City Centre takes about 15 minutes.
A nice, modern hotel in a handy location.

Room Tip: You might ask for a room overlooking the Norwich City Football ground !
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hiren V V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay Pookymusic. You are absolute right the pitch view rooms are a real delight, great views of the Norwich City Football pitch certainly on a match day!!

I will share your comments with the team and I am sure they will be delighted too. Please let me know when you are planning for your next visit to Holiday Inn Norwich City and we will make sure we assist you with your table booking at Delia's restaurant.

Thank you for your feedback.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel. It is well located. We walked from the station in about 10 mins. It is very close to a picturesque area with a river and bridge that gives lots of options for meals and entertainment. Also quite close to the city centre if you walk through the shopping centre.

We had a fantastic welcome. The reception staff told us about the Mayor's parade, fireworks and celebrations over the weekend which we did not know about in advance and have us a map to help us get around.

We were in room 503 which was a very inviting and comfortable room (double twin) on the 5th floor overlooking the football pitch which was a beautiful view. Everything was clean, contemporary and modern. The bath was particularly fresh and inviting and seemed newly done.

We had a very light evening meal there on our first night. It was just edible - nothing special. Breakfast was also standard and adequate. I don't rate either meal highly, but nothing to complain about either.

I have an IHG Rewards card and so Internet was free for me. And was a great speed - strong enough to stream with. If you don't have the rewards card it will cost you extra so look out for that.

Overall a very pleasant stay. So why haven't I rated it 5 stars?
- Trip Advisor says this hotel has a pool. It doesn't. What it does have is a small fitness centre. I suggest the management corrects this with urgency as it is misleading and sets incorrect expectations.
- They don't have the tiny takeaway toiletries that other hotels in the IHG brand seem to. There is soap attached to the face basin and in the shower which was adequate - but no shampoo and conditioner, shower cap, q-tips etc. And as it turned out on the 2nd day I could really have used a needle and thread. Normally those little sewing kits are provided. I had to nip out to Morissons (conveniently next door)
- Our room had a single sanitary bag which was not replaced the next day after I had used it - the container stood empty. Are they rationing?
- As mentioned above our room was twin doubles. We went out came back and the room had been made up, but just 1 bed (not the bed we slept in). Then there was a knock asking us if we were happy with the room's servicing, which was a bit strange - but ok especially as we had an issue. And the bed was then made. However the cleaner didn't seem pleased and said to us and the supervisor "I wasn't sure which bed was slept in". Well if both beds are rumpled, surely you just make both beds up then and leave the room fully serviced instead of halfway done? I mean it only took 2 minutes and is something I think is in the remit of the job.
- Finally on the second night I wanted room service. So I called to room service - no one answered. So then I called reception - no one answered. I kept alternating over 30 mins and no one answered in all that time on either reception and room service. So I went downstairs. Reception had a line 4 deep being serviced by 1 person. The restaurant had their phone on silent, for which they apologised profusely - but seriously who does that? It's a business! How can people place orders if your phone is silent? Then they didn't have what I ordered available and had to call me in my room 10 mins later. Sigh!

I would stay here again definitely, but I think they could work on the niggles above as it takes away from the overall experience.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Dana J
Hiren V V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Dana J,

Please accept my sincere apologises regarding your recent stay. You are absolutely right that the small details make the world of difference. Normally we are very good at this but unfortunately we had taken our eye of the ball and this impacted on your stay which we are terribly sorry for . I would like to get in touch with you, so if you could forward some contact details at hiren.varvadekar@kewgreen.co.uk that would be lovely. I have already addressed the issues you have raised with the team and ensured these should not happen again.

Many thanks for your feedback and hope on your next visit to Holiday Inn Norwich City you will give us full 5* stars.