“Better than I thought!”

Holiday Inn Norwich City
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We booked this as the hotel we wanted to stay in was fully booked, I was initially put off by the "Holiday Inn" title which I know is wrong but they're not what I usually associate with the nicer hotels. But I was wrong, this is a nice clean hotel with a great location. Both the rooms and bathrooms were modern and very clean. A mini fridge might have been useful for someone staying longer and I think a safe is a necessity in any hotel room these days, both of which you don't get. We had a view over the pitch of the football club on the fourth floor, I'd request one of these in the future as there's not much to see from any other rooms. Rooms had air con which is a god send in the warmth weather. Good choice of food for breakfast. Stall friendly and check in and out was quick and easy. There is car parking available should you need it. Public areas also clean and tidy. Couldn't really fault it and would definitely use it again if in Norwich and would recommend to friends. I've given the hotel an average on sleep quality but that's only because I find it very difficult to sleep anywhere else other than my own bed, both my husband and daughter slept well and there is a pillow menu if you'd like to request a different pillow. Just one thing to say to manager if reading this, don't use part used toilet rolls in guests bathrooms. The loo roll in our bathroom had a tiny bit of paper on it obviously from previous users stay, not a nice touch! If you're trying to reduce waste put things like this in staff toilets or somewhere else, not in the bathroom for the next guest!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that over looks the pitch.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Hiren V V, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Lindsey69_10

It’s great to hear that we have changed your view of Holiday Inn for the better. We are very fortunate with our hotel and location, and the team who work here with us.

I am pleased that you found the staff friendly, check in efficient and your room modern and clean The air-con certainly is an asset in this warm weather! Whilst our standard rooms do not include a mini fridge or safe, these do feature in our Executive Rooms and Suites, If you should be staying with us again please do contact us direct so we can guarantee you the best price for one of these rooms.

As we are an IHG ‘Green Engage’ property we are always looking at ways to save on energy and consumables, I do however take your comment about the loo roll on board. I will discuss this with the Head Housekeeper and see whether this can be used in a different area.

Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you, and your friends, to the hotel in the future.

Nick Huggins
Reception Manager

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We visited this hotel as part of a package which is not something we usually do, so this would not necessarily have been my first choice of hotel. It's comfortable and clean but I like an in-room fridge and a safe. The room we had did not have either and provision of these would have been appreciated, the fridge particularly, as we visited during hot weather. Greeting at the front desk is understated but the staff are helpful if you ask a question. Restaurant staff & bar staff were very pleasant & seemed eager to please. Their efforts were recognised at the end of our stay (they have a hotel tip-box which is shared between all the staff, an idea I like!). Meals were also part of the package. Breakfasts were excellent but dinners were a bit "pub-style" on a couple of occasions. The hotel is situated next to the football stadium and is about 10 minutes walk from the station. Norwich is a very walk-able city and I'm ashamed to say this is the first time I've been there. If you go too, the Holiday Inn would be a good choice if you don't want to go over the top price-wise!

Room Tip: I suspect that rooms are all very similar although there is an executive top floor. Position is not...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Corrie14

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Our guest’s views really do mean a lot to the team.

I’m glad you found the staff pleasant and the hotel clean and comfortable. Whilst our standard rooms do not include a mini fridge or safe, these do feature in our Executive Rooms and Suites. If you should be staying with us again we are more that happy to store valuables or perishables at Reception where we do have a guest safe and a small fridge. I am pleased you enjoyed breakfast but sorry to hear the evening meals were not always to your liking. We do offer our tour groups a more traditional style menu but should you be staying with us again independently I can highly recommend our main restaurant menu for more international flavours.

I do hope that now you have discovered Norwich you will visit us again. Norwich has so much to explore and with the Norfolk Broads and the beautiful coast being only a short distance away, definitely worth a return visit!

Kind Regards

Nick Huggins
Reception Manager

Reviewed 30 July 2014

stayed here for 3 nights for a wedding party and visit to the city.
very comfortable room , good service and very helpful staff.
had room over looking road but good double glazing meant it was very quiet.
Very convenient to visit the city - walking distance even with our wheelchair

Room Tip: try to get a pitch view
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hiren V V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Hi tcauUkVulcan thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel you received great service. It's something our staff
takes great pride in, so we value your feedback. I will be sure to pass your kind words along to our staff.

Next time you return to our hotel, be sure to ask for a pitch view rooms, which are certainly very popular! Thanks again for staying with us. I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Thoroughly recommend this hotel for Norwich city centre (just a short walk away) & friendly excellent service throughout. Very clean with lovely comfortable beds. Our room on 4th floor was pitch facing & although no match on when we stayed, my husband just kept looking at the pitch in awe! Thank you to all the staff for making our stay so lovely.

Room Tip: Pitch facing is away from road & great to look out to. 4th floor was quiet & air con not noi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Hiren V V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review amandrew91.

We do have many different room types, but on match days the four corner pitch views rooms are always recommended and can be booked direct through the hotel. The uniqueness of our location make this an ideal choice as you really cannot get any closer to the pitch and ideal if you are a football fan. These rooms allow our guests to watch the game in the warmth of their room and still soak up the atmosphere, these rooms are definitely recommended for families too as kids just love the fabulous pitch view, including the big kids!!

You are absolutely correct, our location is in easy access to the Norwich City and only a short stroll away. I am delighted that you found the team to be so friendly and helpful, they will be thrilled by your kind words as they do work hard to try and ensure all our guests are made to feel welcome and valued and it does make a real difference when this is acknowledged, thank you.

I trust we will be seeing you again the next time you are visiting the area and once again many thanks.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Enjoyed our stay here. Room a bit dated. We had hoped for a fridge in our room but none unfortunately. Bathroom nice but grouting quite badly stained. We visited during Wimbledon but that channel was not working during tennis games and reception couldn't fix for either of people in our two rooms. That's the negatives.
Positives are that the ac works brilliantly although it doesn't help if housekeeping take out room key when out for the day so the room heats right back up and one comes back to boiling room. Beds are very comfy. Staff are very nice. Terry in the restaurant was absolutely lovely and could not do enough for us. Lifts are efficient. Rooms are quiet. Car park was full so they organised to let us park next door.
Overall good stay but not perfect. Would return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Hiren V V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Dear Kate,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good points of your stay. Our rooms have been designed to be contemporary and includes Italian fitted bathroom fittings to the highest quality for our brand and I am sorry to hear that you felt our room was dated.

Please be assured that all the points highlighted in your review have been rectified. In regards to air con begin turned off by housekeeping, as we are part of a IHG Green Engage hotel we participate in an advanced, worldwide sustainability effort and play an active role in protecting our environment.

Meeting and exceeding guest expectations is key to our success and each and every member of my team is trained to ensure all guests have a great stay and I am glad to hear that Terry made it little bit more special for you.

The team will be disappointed that we could not make your overall stay extra special however as you will be back with us I am certain that we will make your stay perfect and you could give us well deserved 5 stars!!

Thank you and we await your return.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

On entering the air conditioned hotel I knew we had made the right choice. Lovely lobby, friendly receptionists (Tatanya & Emma). Pitch view room, with two double beds, we were spoilt!
Fab dinner (try the mixed grill), great breakfast and very good service from all the bar/restaurant staff especially Noemi. Will be back for longer next time. Oh and good location for restaurants. Recommend "Thai On The River". It was excellent. City centre within easy reach by bus. Free entry to Leisure Centre but only had two days so didn't get a chance to use it this time. Have booked a return trip for longer in 6 week's time. Can't wait to return! Many thanks guys x

Room Tip: Pitch view room was awesome.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hiren V V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Hi Diane,

Thank you for your great feedback, I will ensure I share your comments with the team and know that Tatiana, Emma and Noemi will be thrilled that they were able to make your stay that little bit more special.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Norwich City in six weeks' time!!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Booked a double bed room for me and my man horse and was delighted to hear we were given TWO doubles beds and an awesome view of the football stadium. We are not into football but it was nice to watch seagulls go around and around.
Prices were a bit high but for what we got it was great. Room was big, clean, well ventilated (it was hot as ever yet we never got too hot in the room itself) and the bath was lovely and very big.
Did spot a big fat spider above one of the doors down the hallway, as someone who is deadly afraid of spiders I did an amusing dancing leap past it. But I am sure that is just a fluke caused by having windows open due to the heat. Room itself was spider free.
TV was weird to work with but fine. One channel was fuzzy but we still watched it because Star Wars was on.

Breakfast was like 8/10. Could of done with more cereal selections and other baked goods (I ran to the muffins only to find blueberry on offer. :C ) but as it was eat as much as you like we stuffed our little faces. Your bacon is sad but the sausages were very tasty. One thing I hated was the tiny thimble glasses for juice, I had to go back and forth like squirrel burying nuts about 5 times to get a proper drink. But still, there was apple, cranberry and orange on offer and there was milk too (for cereal) which I took a mug full.

Nights were very quite and we slept well despite the heat. Beds are comfy and we had lots of pillows. Staff were all great and helpful even though the heat was making other customers a bit ratty or excitable.
Probably will be back sometime soon for other events in Norwich as its a prime location just next to the Train station and super market just down the road. Odeon is next door too. Nice.

Room Tip: We were on floor 2 and right at the end (201) which is where the ice machine was just outside our do...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hiren V V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Hi Katie,

Thanks for your review, I'm delighted you had a great stay at Holiday Inn Norwich City. Thank you for your observation in the hallway and I will certainly discuss with my head housekeeper. I was pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your breakfast, however sorry to read that you felt the bacon was not to your liking and I have asked my chef to review this with the supplier.

I do place a huge emphasis on exceeding guest expectations and delivering individual, friendly but professional service and I am pleased the staff looked after you so well.

Many thanks once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel!