“Outstanding hotel”

Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Marlborough, United Kingdom
“Outstanding hotel”
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

Started here for one night, Saturday, fire a family get together. Mrarch day so thought it would be congested but service was excellent, staff helpful and smiling, rooms tidy and well fitted. Breakfast was fantastic with great staff! Really good hotel, not just our view - the lady checking out before us told the reception staff it's the best Holiday Inn she's stayed at!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Hiren V V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Hello Mr_Kipper, I am always glad to hear that we have helped make your stay so very special. I am very pleased you enjoyed all aspects of your stay including the match day atmosphere which is really buzzing and it is always very rewarding to receive positive feedback about the staff and the service they delivered of course with a smile!! Thank you for your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Hiren Varvadekar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

I found this hotel OK, probably not quite up to the price for the area anymore.
The room really looked like one that football fans use, which is to be expected, but I probably expected more for what I got.. It was more budget travel lodge than nearly 140 a night standard.

The staff were attentive, and it's in a great position.

The very worst thing was that there tables for breakfast are very close together. Maybe it's just be, but I was seated, collected my breakfast, and another guy was seated almost at my table. I don't feel comfortable with that really.. I left quite quickly and it somewhat spoilt the experience.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Hiren V V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Hi PaulJM1976,
Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I appreciate and wish to thank you for the kind words for the staff. On the other hand, please accept my sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay, rest assured that these issues will be looked into.

We generally received extremely positive feedback for our bedrooms as they are modern, spacious and contemporary, however I am very sorry to hear that it was below your expectation.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The big thing to watch for is the cost for car parking. Norwich City must be saving up for a new player, or just a player, because they are charging for day parking not Holiday Inn! That said we got a place out in front that was free! Big saving! The hotel was excellent. I was warned off Holiday Inn as a brand but this is my second experience of the chain and it remains very favourable. I don't eat a large breakfast but the only option here is a somewhat pricey gut bash and nothing else, so we were told (not the gut bash bit – I put that in). The No. 25 bus into town stops nearby (200 yards) and is regular but very slow. Walking is fun and you see more. Hotel was quiet, smoothly run and the staff friendly and patient. If the breakfast and parking were not issues I would happily give this hotel five stars for value.

Room Tip: Ours was pre-booked a about a month ahead and we had a choice. I expect had we just 'turned up...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback Barry L. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and thank you so much for your feedback.

Please accept our apologies for falling short of your expectations particularly with the breakfast rates. Our breakfast buffet is the highlight of the day with over 60 items to choose from, there is something for all including our Chef’s Specials which is all include in the breakfast price. It is sometimes worth looking at Bed and Breakfast rates as they can offer excellent value. Our breakfast rate is very competitive with all other hotels in the area.

The car parking charge is a nightly rate, which has been consistent over the years and very competitive for a city centre location. I do hope we will get opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Norwich.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Norwich City for one night on business. I am a IHG Club member but wasn't recognised as such when I arrived, so I had to make a trip to reception for WiFi details later on. A small point to improve, but no biggie. I ate in the restaurant due to my late arrival, and the food and wine were both very good, breakfast was also good the next morning.

The room was well appointed and contained the normal Holiday Inn contents. It was a nice touch that the iron and ironing board were in the room. The room was quiet and I wasn't disturbed by road noise overnight. The bed was comfy as I had a good night's sleep!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Hiren V V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Hello James H, thank you for your recent review. I’m sorry to hear that we missed the opportunity to recognise you as a loyal IHG Rewards Club member. I have spoken to my reception manager who also passes on his apologies. I’m glad that you enjoyed the food and time spent in our restaurant and will pass your comments on to all involved. Our beds are very comfy and I’m glad you had a good night’s sleep.

We hope to welcome you back soon,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I stayed in this holiday inn from Saturday leaving Monday.

The hotel wasn't bad overall -just certain elements.

Saturday - arrived and placed in a disabled room. Asked to be moved - told fully booked so could not move. No apology -night reception customer service guy wasn't the friendliest! Told me I must have selected it or ticked a box online saying I didn't mind being allocated - I can assure you I did not!

Sunday - Asked the daytime staff whether there was any chance of changing -apologised and was atleast a lot more polite. Again was told I must have selected something online - I booked through hotels.com prepaid for a standard double.

I wouldn't have minded but a) was looking forward to a nice bath and b) I chose this hotel over others because I thought I would get a good experience.

Certainly not worth the money spent.

• Stayed August 2014
Hiren V V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you for your review jaigu and sharing your recent experience.

I am naturally disappointed about your comments with regards to your overall experience. As you may have noticed from other reviews on Tripadvisor this is far from the norm and generally receive extremely positive feedback for our bedrooms and certainly the staff.

I will however have a quiet word with the night staff member and I have already discussed this with the reception manager and do trust you will give us another opportunity for you to experience our high standards.

I am glad to hear that the team was able to accommodate you in a room with double bed as per your request, like other hotels throughout the country we do have a small number of rooms which have walk in shower for our disabled guests and I am sorry that you did not get a room with a bath.

Please do contact me direct if you wish to book a room for your future stay and we will certainly ensure that your experience is second to none.

Regards,
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Excellent hotel in which our room overlooked Norwich City Football pitch. The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for us. We only stayed one night so cannot comment on location for amenities, but it served our visit very well and would definitely return. The breakfast was very good and as we ate quite early there wasn't a rush for food.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hiren V V, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear MicheleR36

Many thanks for your kind words about the hotel and the staff. The team here genuinely love the hotel and put the satisfaction of our guests at the heart of everything they do. A review like yours really does mean a lot and I will be sure to share your comments.

We are very fortunate with the location of the hotel and I hope you get the chance to stay with us again. The Riverside area is excellent for bars and restaurants and only a 5 minute walk from the hotel, whilst the city centre is in easy reach being a 15 minute walk away. If you have time to venture further afield, the Norfolk Broads really are beautiful and only 8 miles from us and I can recommend a visit to the North Norfolk Coast.

Kind Regards

Nick Huggins
Reception Manager
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

I was very impressed by this Holiday Inn, a chain I am not really fond of.
Service was excellent throughout my stay, very natural and not OTT which you can get at a lot of hotels. My room was spacious, clean, modern and well appointed. The bathroom had a good powerful shower too.
I ate in the bar and the food was good and reasonable value, as far as hotels go.
Breakfast was also good, plenty of choice and the hot food was fresh. Only issue was that the toaster didn't actually toast the bread, just warmed it up. They could also look into the seating plan, it was busy and the layout was such that there were banks of 3 'tables for 2' separated by a couple of inches, making it more like a long table for 6. This didn't afford much privacy or allow you to have a relaxing breakfast and was rather awkward.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear bsnsjone

It’s great to hear that we have changed your view of Holiday Inn for the better. We are very fortunate with our hotel and location, and the team who work here with us. I’m pleased you found your room clean and spacious and a good powerful shower certainly helps wake you up in the morning!

Thank you for your comments about the toaster and the restaurant layout. We really do value our guests feedback and I will discuss this with the Restaurant Manager.

Thank you for leaving us a review and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Nick Huggins