“excellent value for money with very friendly staff”

Holiday Inn Norwich City
Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
London
“excellent value for money with very friendly staff”
Reviewed 22 October 2010

very nice, clean welcoming hotel. The bar area is nice but the suprising bit was the breakfast. there is so much choice from fruit to pastries to a full english. The cooked breakfast portions are huge so don't book lunch that day as you won't need it! Also, this hotel is the only hotel I have ever been in that put soya milk out by the cereal. That was a great suprise.
We used this hotel to visit our child at nearby UEA and we will definately stay here again next time.

Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
GeneralManagerNWICR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this review, 6 November 2010
I’m pleased that our facilities and service has met with your satisfaction, and more importantly your recognition of our greatest assest, my colleagues.
Thank you for committing to stay again with us whilst visiting the UEA in the future, and I trust we will be able to again to confirm your decision to visit the Holiday Inn Norwich City.
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Leominster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2010

You may be excused for thinking that Holiday Inns are impersonal and cold, with off-hand staff, but if this is what you find, the Holiday Inn, Norwich City certainly bucks the trend. As soon as we arrived the reception manager, Lucy, greeted us with a warm smile and our room keys. She was very helpful throughout our stay, as were the rest of the staff.

This HI is only c.3 years old and as such is in a good state of decoration, trendy, but cosy. It is part of the stadium of Norwich City FC and on home fixtures the restaurant and reception gets very busy and it is not advisable to leave the hotel when the crowds are dispersing. But ... if you are lucky enough to get a room facing the pitch and enjoy football, then your ship has come home! If not, you can just see the pitch from the end of the corridor!

The rooms are large, big beds, spacious bathrooms with shower above the bath. Lovely white linen and towels and all the usual accompanyments. Walls are solid block, so it is very quiet at night. Air con/room temp. is controlled by setting the desired temperature on a rather too small display near the door.

We had a restricted, tourist, menu, which was rather disappointing, but nonetheless the food was excellent. Breakfasts are buffet style with everything from continental to full English, four fruit juices, etc. No complaints here! Our waiter was exceptional, James, I think. He spent time with us, explaining Norwich and even provided maps! Top man, well done.

The location is not inner city and is a reasonable walk, up-hill, into the town. A bus service does pass nearby, though and is also very close to the railway station. A pleasant walk along the river Wensum will bring you close to the Cathedral.

Top marks to all concerned at the Holiday Inn, Norwich City!

• Stayed September 2010
Thank you for your recent review, I’m pleased that both James and Lucy received recognition for their efforts. I know this will both please and motivate them further.
I’m grateful for your comprehensive review which will be I trust help to guests in the future. Our Breakfast product is currently being rolled out through our Kewgreen Hotels and has been met with good reviews to date.
Naturally with the location of the Hotel pre and post matches are busy, with a renowned reputation of hospitality the atmosphere on match days is both welcoming and positive.
I trust it will not be too long before we can welcome you back to Norwich in the future.
Shrewsbury
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Hotel very good and clean. The bed was very comfortable as was the room. Staff were very friendly and also very helpful.
The hotel was very busy and so breakfast was very hectic. I was disappointed at breakfast to have to make and get my own tea. Seemed to have to walk a lot to get breakfast as ate it in the bar area as was so busy. Also disappointed that there was no orange juice one morning. Feel that as it is such a popular drink and easily available it should never be allowed to run out. Also the breakfast was very nice apart from the fried eggs which were hard and due to this not being eaten and therefore left to get harder and not replaced with fresh. This was the case on both days we stayed.
All in all I would stay again especially if got a good rate.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
GeneralManagerNWICR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this review, 11 October 2010
Thank you completing your review following your recent stay, on Trip Advisor.
I’m pleased you found my colleagues both attentive and friendly, and the hotels cleanliness up to a high standard, I’m glad our endeavours have been recognised.
I was encouraged to read that you found the breakfast appealing although I regret and apologise that replenishment did not keep pace with demand at your time of breakfasting. I have today ensured that my team have a copy of your review, to ensure we avoid any future repetition, I am sure we could have avoided those missing items irrespective of demand.
Currently we are also running a ‘Sparkle Breakfast’, served in a separate area for an additional charge, one can expect personal service in a quiet environment with goodies such as Bucks Fizz, a carafe of juice and fruit platter per couple, not forgetting the full English, it is proving popular for those who wish to indulge, and add to their stay.
Thank you for committing to a return visit I trust we’ll be able to welcome you back to enjoy the delights of Norwich and Norfolk in the near future.
Best regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2010

We had to pay £289 to share bedroom with my husband's ageing parents, whereas if they were fit enough to have had a room of their own, we would have only paid £89 per room. IHG Head Offices, in UK & USA, were totally inflexible. Having booked room for 4 people, after ongoing correspondence with them, there were still only supplies in room for 2. Car damaged overnight, in car park, attached to football stadium

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for posting your review to Trip advisor and your choice in choosing Trip advisor to detail your dissatisfaction with the customer service department, of the IHG. However this does enable ourselves the opportunity to inform future guests for which I thank you.
It is unlikely that one can purchase a stay at our property for the value £89.00 for four adults, one could as stated have bought two rooms for £89.00 each, this being the discounted terms apply rate of that day.
We do have several interconnecting rooms which may have suited your purpose, a room with two double beds and the other with a further double bed. These are ideal as the sleeping configuration could suit in turn several needs. These have been praised by carers and the cared for alike in the past. Naturally should both you and you husband have needed to be in the room of your parents in law at the same time, we could not have met your need at a lesser cost.
Your reservation for a standard twin room, which includes two double beds, would not have been assigned until your arrival as there 81 standard rooms of this type included in this hotel, I’m pleased we able to provide an extra two cups, tea, coffee and extra towels, every room naturally has four towels. I’m thankful that in past communications you were able to praise the team in meeting your needs similar to other reviews on Trip advisor.
I note that we supplied a complimentary electrical extension lead vital to the running of apparatus required during your stay; it may be helpful for other future guests to note that the supply of such equipment cannot be guaranteed and advance notification would be highly recommended.
Our License to operate this hotel in this location is governed by authorities outside of our business, and instruction is to limit room occupancy at every opportunity to two adults per room, however our brand will not permit the deletion of the extra person criteria, hence it is set at as value to dissuade multiple occupancy. Your booking criteria to occupy the same room were met, following advance notification of price and communication to IHG Customer Service.
Once again thank you for allowing ourselves the opportunity of comment, many Holiday Inns and associated brands throughout the UK welcome multiple occupancy of rooms and in turn can be purchased at prices which represent great value.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 5 October 2010

THis is the second time I have stayed in this hotel in the past few months as my son is studying at the nearby University of East Anglia. On both ocassions the hotel staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. The rooms were most comfortable. During this last visit we had, by chance, a room with the view of the Norwich City pitch and were able to watch the game - a great bonus. As we booked early we got the lowest rate around 70 pounds for a family room which accommodated me and my wife and my 17 year old son. The breakfast was OK and if you book it the night before it costs around ten pounds, so not bad value. Just around the corner, and part of the ground, is Delia Smith's excellent upmarket Delia's restaurant as well as her American themed Yellows, which I can highly recommend. The other great thing about this hotel is it's location..you can enjoy a ten minute walk into the city or a two minute drive to the Castle Mall car park and there you are in the centre of a great shopping city. For those with youngsters at UEA..it's a ten minute drive to the university and perhaps 15 minutes at the most to Norwich International Airport. Only downside is that you have to pay 4 pounds fifty for use of the car park - there again the car park attendants are the most friendly I've ever come across. Full marks to the Holiday Inn and their staff.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
GeneralManagerNWICR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this review, 7 October 2010
Thank you for your review, I’m pleased that my colleagues were able to meet your needs on both this and past occasions.
I understand that the cost of parking can cause issue, we only pass on a small proportion of our cost, further charges would be inappropriate in our current climate, I’m pleased however that everyone you came into contact with were friendly and attentive, I will take the opportunity to pass on your comments to our neighbours.
The Holiday Inn Norwich City, does provide an excellent base for visiting the UEA and the attraction of Norwich, the ease of finding the hotel and it’s location within easy reach of the outer ring road allows in turn easy access to the east and west of the city avoiding City centre traffic.
I trust we will be able to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Norwich City in the near future to once again visit your son during his studies.
Best regards
Wiltshire
Reviewed 5 October 2010

We stayed in this hotel last minute as we had booked in another hotel in Norwich but left early. The staff were very friendly and extremely professional. They allowed us to go into our room at 10am so we could use the shower. The rooms were exceptionally clean and spacious. We had a brilliant view of Norwich Football Club's pitch.

The whole hotel felt and smelt brand new. The beds were very comfortable and clean. The bathroom again, like new and exceptionally clean.

The food in the breakfast buffet was lovely - no powdered eggs and canned mushrooms! It was all fresh and hot.

I can not speak highly enough of this hotel. Truely value for money. Everything is as expected and better. Staff are very professional.

I would recommed this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
GeneralManagerNWICR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this review, 6 October 2010
Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay, I’m pleased that we were able to contribute to your enjoyment of the weekend.
I’ve taken the opportunity to thank personally my colleague on the front desk who braved the rain to come to your assistance, as parking is split either at the front or rear of the property.
I welcome your detailed descriptions of our breakfast offering, bedroom and bar service; I trust these will be of benefit to other potential guests in the future.
I have shared your comments with my colleagues, who I’m sure will take heart from your positive comments from the welcome arrival through to the cleanliness of your room.
I trust it will not be too long before we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2010

Ideally situated within a 5 minute walk from Norwich railway station. Friendly and swift check-in, staff friendly and helpful, room spacious, clean and more than adequate-not too sure about the carpet though! Spacious bathroom, plenty of complimentary items and as much hot water as you'll ever need. Good place for meetings, bar spacious and clean, food menu, including room service selection excellent. A good place to stay, a good place to conduct business. Thankyou.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind words and positive review of The Holiday Inn Norwich City.
For the business user or leisure guest alike The Holiday Inn Norwich City provides as said an excellent base of operations.
I have ensured that my colleagues have had the opportunity to review your posting a share your positive comments.
I trust it will not be too long before we are able to welcome you back to the hotel should your needs bring you back to Norwich.