“There's only one Delia's...” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Delia's Restaurant & Bar

Delia's Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #168 of 812 Restaurants in Norwich
Price range: US$44 - US$44
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Delia's Restaurant and Bar Enjoy Delia’s recipes cooked to her exacting standards in our beautiful restaurant. Warm, friendly service and a relaxed atmosphere. Make us the place to celebrate the weekend. Delia’s Restaurant and Bar is open every Friday and Saturday from 7pm until late; a three-course dinner followed by coffee and something sweet is just £35.75 per person. Delia’s Restaurant and Bar is committed to supporting local produce. We have a large, free on-site car park.
UK
“There's only one Delia's...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

I've been a fan of Delia for years and thought I was in for a real treat when I ate at her restaurant at the Norwich Football Ground last night. I couldn't have been more wrong! It was absolutely atrocious. The smoked mackerel pate starter was really more of a purée...over salted and runny. This was served with what appear to be toasted brown sliced supermarket bread. We had Coq au Vin as the main...flavourless and over salted. The desert was a lemon tart which was so tart that it was inedible. It was served with creme fraiche...which enacted oddly with the sharpness of the lemon. The was also a strangely synthetic flavour as an aftertaste. Only the chocolates served with the coffee were decent. A I seem to be out of sync with other reviewers I hope that this was a one off...perhaps the chef was unwell?

I'm so disappointed ... I feel as if I've lost a favourite fluffy pet...come on Delia you can do better than that!

Visited April 2014
4 Thank Grogleydog
Melanie O, Public Relations Manager at Delia's Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I understand that you attended one of our private events in one of our function rooms rather than Delia’s Restaurant and Bar and would like to discuss the issues you experienced. I would therefore be very grateful if you could contact Emma on 01603 218704 to discuss in further detail.

Northampton, United Kingdom
“A real treat.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent a weekend in Norwich staying at the Holiday Inn. Delia's is just round the corner and she taught me to cook with her 1970's Cookery Course book, so I was beyond excited at the thought of eating at her restaurant. From the greeting, the gruyere bread sticks, through to the chocolates at the end the whole experience was really special. Loved my chicken liver pate, Thai curry and lemon meringue. My husband had watercress soup and steak, not adventurous but he was very happy. The staff were attentive and friendly without being being obtrusive. Loved the whole experience.

Visited April 2014
Halifax, United Kingdom
“It really is that good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

I booked a table at Delia's restaurant to have a meal with my wife on our fist time visit to Norwich.
We were staying at the Holiday Inn which is on the other side of the football ground from Delia's restaurant. During the walk round my wife started to feel really ill and it was touch and go whether we went into the restaurant. Are we glad we did.

In truth we are very fussy restaurant eaters because we can both cook well at home and sometimes ( a lot of times), we are left disappointed about some aspect of the meal. (The previous night we had eaten at the Spice Lounge in Norwich (reviewed later on here) and it was an appallingly poor Indian restaurant, all flash and no substance).

On entering Delia's restaurant we were immediately welcomed and shown to our table. A lovely touch was that the lady maitre d' noticed that my wife was having a problem with her back, so she brought a rolled up blanket to fit on the chair to support my wife's back. This helped my wife feel so much better and contributed to an excellent evening.

Overall we found staff to be very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.

The food was of a high standard and quite delicious. Every course was just excellent, tasty, good presentation and very importantly the time between the courses was just spot on, enough time to savour what you just eaten and enough time to anticipate what was coming next.

(I pinched this from the previous reviewer)

If I was to put numbers to this review, they would be as follows:
Welcoming and attentive staff 10/10
Quality of food 10/10
Ambience 10/10
Knowledge of staff of the food they were serving 10/10

It was without doubt a thoroughly enjoyable evening and we cannot recommend this restaurant enough. It is not cheap but in life, when you get what you pay for, really get what you pay for, it was worth every penny.

When made the booking the young lady asked me two questions:
1) Is it a special celebration? My answer was the fact that we were both still alive was cause for celebration.
2) Why had we chosen the Delia Smith restaurant? The answer was, we had both cooked hundreds of Delia's recipes with great success and wanted to see how the professionals did. (Very good).

Just an excellent (very memorable) evening.

Visited March 2014

• Visited April 2014
Warwickshire
“Nice meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Visited the restaurant after a very enjoyable football match - sorry Delia but we won. Lovely meal with very friendly and helpful staff - gluten free meal no problem at all. Good value for money - would visit again if we play Norwich next season

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Excellent and very nearly perfect in every way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

I booked a table at Delia's restaurant to have a meal with my family. It was the second time we had visited, so it is clear that we must have enjoyed our first visit.
On entering the restaurant we were immediately welcomed and shown to our table. We found staff to be helpful and knowledgeable.

The food was of a high standard and quite delicious (just as we had expected it would be). I had the Steak au Poivre and thoroughly enjoyed it. My wife told me that the Coq au Vin was equally tasty.

With a little trepidation I ordered the Queen of Puddings. I was concerned that it would be a little sweet and too much for my palate, but my resulting clean plate proved I had little to be concerned about - it was delicious. Again I believe the Pavlova was equally good. Okay I should have said that I know the Pavlova was equally as good, as I stole a forkful from my daughter's plate.
If I was to put numbers to this review, they would be as follows:
Welcoming and attentive staff 10/10
Quality of food 10/10
Ambience 10/10
Knowledge of staff of the food they were serving 9.5/10

This last item would have also been a 10 but I had to include a knowledge of the drink being served and unfortunately the waitress pouring my son's bottled beer didn't seem to realise that the bottles of that particular beer actually contain a little yeast sediment and therefore require careful pouring (as stated on the bottle label). Three quarters of the bottle was poured into the glass and the bottle then returned to the upright position. Then when his glass became a little emptier, the helpful waitress tipped the rest of the bottle into his glass draining every drop from the bottle including the sediment, which made his beer rather cloudy. I pointed out the error to the waitress concerned and she was most apologetic. I should point out that it didn't spoil our evening in any way and I do feel that my feedback would have been pretty boring if it was perfect in every sense.

As mentioned, the slip up did not taint our evening in any way. It was thoroughly enjoyable and you can be sure that if we get to make the 5 hour journey from North Wales to see our son at Norwich University again, we will be sure to pay this restaurant another visit.

• Visited March 2014