“Gem of a Bar!”

Cuisines: Belgian
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Only ever been here for drinks; I would like to think the food is more of a supplement to the beer rather than this being a dedicated restaurant.

Atmosphere is buzzing, and the staff are knowledgeable about the beer and offer great reccommendations.

The beer selection is the primary reason you should be visiting The Belgian Monk; I've genuinely been to Bars in Belgium with LESS choice than here. I've been told their beers are handpicked, and it shows as the variety and quality of the beers is noticeable.

The pricing is very reasonable considering the quality of the drinks available and the specialised nature of what they sell.

The rear garden is nicely laid out, and kept tidy - always an enjoyable evening!

There are newer reviews for The Belgian Monk

Reviewed 13 August 2014

If you are looking for a bar with a great beer menu, cheap and filling food and lots of options for vegetarians look no further. The Belgian Monk as all of these things and more.

Comfortable, cozy and centrally located we couldn't have been happier.

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I visited the Belgian Monk by chance for a quick pint and finished up staying in there most of the evening. Very welcoming with a great selection of weird and wonderful Belgian beers to try. Not the cheapest but if you want to try something different very rewarding. I particularly enjoyed the Kwak in it's mini yard glass.

The staff were all very helpful and able to advise on beer choice, and the food (had the Tarteflete) perfect to go with the drink. I look forward to visiting again when I am next in Norwich.

1  Thank Rooster81
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Tasty food, my husband loved the beers and meat food, for me it was refreshing that the restaurant had such a extensive choice for vegetarians & vegan and very accommodating with kids menu
Would recommend

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We both really enjoyed our visit to the Belgian Monk. It's unique. We both had mussels to start which were plump and full of flavour with a lovely sauce. I then had duck and my partner had a hock of ham. OMG it was huge and both meals were delicious. I'm not a beer drinker but the friendly waitress suggested I tried cherry beer and I couldn't believe that I loved it!! The Belgian Monk is in a charming old building with a lovely outside area. All in all couldn't fault the lovely food, beer! and excellent service. Would highly recommend this place.