“Rave on”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

When we arrived we faced the immediate confusion of where do we go to be seated!?! We walked into the middle of the restaurant and when I asked where do we sit we were informed anywhere! After sitting down in the first section we noticed that when a heavy sett man decided to bound past us every couple of seconds in what seemed his mid dinner workout, our table began to shake like something out of Jurassic park. Cause either extremely heavy sett man or knackered floorboards! After said man had done his laps we tried to decipher the menu, the font, colour and layout of the menu was not great and after several minutes squinting we decided on our dishes. During this time I noticed that in the backround there was a Mexican rave going on. Nope it was the restaurants chosen dinner music, crack out the whistle and the shapes. Now on to the food.....the food was in short alright. That is not a negative nor is it a positive. The starters were deep fried jalepenos with creme cheese, I would not recommend this option as the cheese was flavourless and the peppers had shrunk, so I was basically eating deep fried breadcrumbs. The main I had the mambos combo, the meat was flavourless and not seasoned enough the scampi was the usual pub/Zak's esque the goujons were frozen I think as the breadcrumbs slipped off like they were afraid of the chicken. The positive is you had enough to fill you up, however if not going to do a proper salad, DO NOT BOTHER!!! Pointless salad on the plate. Straight out of a mixed salad bag the missus had the cheeseburger....you'd have to be pretty inept to balls that up.
Onto desert. It was nice butterscotch and honeycomb were lovely, only criticism was it was like an arctic expedition to find the ice cream.
So to sum up, venue poor, food bland, uninventive and poor quality price a little bit overpriced.
As we left our instant opinion was we will not be returning.

Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Called in to Mambo Jambo for the 1st time in over 2 years last night, I'd been avoiding it as I'd heard the food standards had slipped but was pleasantly surprised with a tasty, well cooked meal!

I had the Mambo's Combo which is ribs, chicken and a bowl of chilli. The chilli was delicious with just the right amount of heat, the chicken goujons were tender and the ribs literally just melted away from the bones.

My only criticism would be that the fries were a little under flavoured or over cooked, but that's being picky really. Some seasoned curly fries would have been the perfect accompaniment to an otherwise great meal.

My bill was £23 for the combo & 2 soft drinks so not bad price either for a city centre restaurant.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Have been looking forward to going for ages. Me and my housemate went and were sat under a speaker. I'm a bit deaf so asked if it was ok to move (restaurant was empty) the waitress rolled her eyes and said nothing but moved the menus into another table. We just sort of followed. Another waitress took our drinks order and was very lovely. The first one kind of put us off a bit however.
Saying that the food was lovely and portion sizes large.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

To be honest if you want burger and chips you would be better off at mucky d's, at least your food will be hot, not the dry tastless rubbish served up to you in this surprisingly busy eatery. Avoid it !! ly

1  Thank Helen S
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We went here for a family meal for my son's 21st birthday, service was speedy considering we had a table for 10, portion sizes were very generous.
We took a birthday cake and they provided plates etc for us to cut it up and also played happy birthday when they brought the cake out.
conversation on a large table was a bit difficult at times as the music is quite loud and the restaurant was completely full, I would recommend booking a table as they were only just able to squeeze us in and we booked three weeks in advance. The only small complaint I would have is that the drinks are quite expensive, over £5 for a large glass of wine!