“2nd review for this restaurant”

Zaks Waterside Grill & Bar
Ranked #179 of 880 Restaurants in Norwich
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Prices: A new menu was good to see, although I noticed that the recession has pushed up prices quite a bit. I recommend getting hold of a Spree book (you can google those) to get some good offers at this restaurant. For families, this is a good place to eat, but bear in mind that the cost of drinks can easily push up the bill - with the milkshakes (although delicious) being almost £4 each.

As I have said before, this is a good representation of an American Diner with a vibrant atmosphere and reasonably loud background music. Do not expect fine dining, and you won't be disappointed. Expect fine dining and an intimate meal, then you have come to the wrong place.

Our food was cooked exactly to order and there was plenty of it.

We had:-
A total of 4 maple milkshakes
1 x rib eye steak (medium) with fries and onion rings
1 x Salmon with seared veg and rice
1 x Kiddies chicken nugget meal, but made into an adult sized portion (for my fussy 14 year old!)

It doesnt say so on the menu, but you can swap veg for fries or salad etc - just ask the serving staff and they are happy to oblige.

The bill was just shy of £60

Service was very good.

Access - there is a steep step and those with mobility issues will struggle - however, if you call ahead and ask, they will open a side door for easier access. However, bear in mind that the small carpark is gravel and not easy for a wheelchair to traverse.
There is also outside seating by the river when weather permits.

Toilets - clean and tidy - no complaints.

ZaksNorwich, Manager at Zaks Waterside Grill & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thanks for taking the time giving us a good review. Spree book is a great idea. Thanks.
We are happy to do swops on your meals. ;-)

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Lunch time or evening the food and service are always great. The portions are very generous with good choice and good atmosphere. A fantastic venue for a group but equally good for two. I've lost count of the amount of times I've visited (that includes the caravan on Cattle Market) and my favorite has to be the Godfather. If you like 'proper' burgers this is the place for you.

ZaksNorwich, Manager at Zaks Waterside Grill & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thanks for taking the time to give us brilliant review. Hope you have a loyalty card. Our burgers are 100% beef. 'Proper''!!! Thanks.. ;-)

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Went here recently for the birthday of a fifteen year old who had expressed an interest in going to Zaks for a birthday treat. All in all we all wished we had gone somewhere else. The interior is fun but the food is not worth what you pay for. The meatballs and pasta on the children's menu was particularly unappetising. Much better burgers and food to be had elsewhere in Norwich - Cinema City for example does a great burger!

ZaksNorwich, Manager at Zaks Waterside Grill & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review us, sorry we didn't satisfy you. I will look into the Meatballs as we make them with our own sauce made from fresh vegetables. ;-(

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We visited after work on a rainy Monday night to to celebrate my boyfriend passing his driving theory test.

Service as usual was excellent, we found the staff friendly and welcoming. They even put a sparkler in my boyfriend dessert to mark our special occasion which was a lovely touch.

I had Surf & Turf burger with fries and curly fries and my boyfriend had the Cheese & Bacon & Fried Egg burger with fries. Both were delicious, nicely presented and big platefuls.

Dessert was just as good, we had a Bubblegum Sundae (with sparkler!) and a Banana Split, both lovely.

We like the diner themed decor inside and found the food reasonably priced. We will definitely go back, I fact my boyfriend has already requested to go back in June for his birthday!

ZaksNorwich, Manager at Zaks Waterside Grill & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Abbey W thanks for taking the time give us a brilliant review. Make sure you get a Loyalty Card. ;-)

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We were in Norwich for the weekend at was wondering where to eat. We decided on an American style place and I must say this was perfect. Generous portions , Not over priced and very nice too. I had the garlic bread followed by the Sirloin steak and curly fries. The Milkshakes were delicious and we had Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry. Nice and thick just like they should be. For desert I had the Raspberry and White Chocolate ice cream cake. Lovely . We always play a game at the end of guess the bill and nobody got it right! For a lovely meal and great service ( not to pushy like some places ) it was well worth the money

Thanks Chris J for your fabulous review. ;-)