“Spoilt birthday treat!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Really don't like to have to write this, but I gave looked on every Zaks site to contact them and only addresses are shown. We returned earlier from Zaks Riverside ( our first visit there after having visited for many years family, grand kids etc to Mousehold. We arrived around 6.40 received our food at 8pm very simple no side salad etc? My middle sons birthday so took him there for a treat, he was dressed in shirt with American cars and flicked hair, looked great he is 5. He had kids meal and at the end I mentioned it was his birthday and was there a chance that he could have brownie instead of ice cream which he does not like, the waiter said yeah sure, it came and I paid the bill, on the wAy out my husband said that was a bit steep, I checked and they had charged extra for the brownie???? Not a very nice birthday treat eh? Doubt we will go there again?

ZaksNorwich, General Manager at Zaks Waterside Grill & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

I am sorry to read this please see your in box. ;-(

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We have been visiting Zaks since the caravan (1976?). Used to be very good but on this occasion, apart from the chicken wings, which were pretty good, the food was grim. The girl on the bar had not got a clue about the drinks even though, according to her, she had been at Zaks 5+ years. My burger was cooked, as ordered, medium, but was very, very dry. I complained and my meal was not charged for but that's not the point: our son had chosen a visit to Zaks as part of his birthday celebrations. Others in our party were reluctant to complain at the time but did so afterwards. Staff listened to my complaints but I got the impression that they did not really care. And when I asked if the cheesecake was baked or unbaked they had to 'look on the packet'! A real Fawlty Towers 'chef's just opened the tin' moment. Really very disappointing; I've had far better burgers at McDonald's.

ZaksNorwich, General Manager at Zaks Waterside Grill & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

My word. Not a good experience. I will be investigation this. Howkey please see you in box. ;-(

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Spending one night in Norwich and fancied somewhere by the river to eat. Found there seemed little choice. Google maps offered Zaks. Didn't sound quite our type of place but decided to give it a try. Good location right by the river. The staff were friendly and helpful and the food good. We had a good time. Thanks

ZaksNorwich, Manager at Zaks Waterside Grill & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Lovely thank you for as lovely review. So glad you enjoyed your visit. ;-)

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Prices: A new menu was good to see, although I noticed that the recession has pushed up prices quite a bit. I recommend getting hold of a Spree book (you can google those) to get some good offers at this restaurant. For families, this is a good place to eat, but bear in mind that the cost of drinks can easily push up the bill - with the milkshakes (although delicious) being almost £4 each.

As I have said before, this is a good representation of an American Diner with a vibrant atmosphere and reasonably loud background music. Do not expect fine dining, and you won't be disappointed. Expect fine dining and an intimate meal, then you have come to the wrong place.

Our food was cooked exactly to order and there was plenty of it.

We had:-
A total of 4 maple milkshakes
1 x rib eye steak (medium) with fries and onion rings
1 x Salmon with seared veg and rice
1 x Kiddies chicken nugget meal, but made into an adult sized portion (for my fussy 14 year old!)

It doesnt say so on the menu, but you can swap veg for fries or salad etc - just ask the serving staff and they are happy to oblige.

The bill was just shy of £60

Service was very good.

Access - there is a steep step and those with mobility issues will struggle - however, if you call ahead and ask, they will open a side door for easier access. However, bear in mind that the small carpark is gravel and not easy for a wheelchair to traverse.
There is also outside seating by the river when weather permits.

Toilets - clean and tidy - no complaints.

Thanks for taking the time giving us a good review. Spree book is a great idea. Thanks.
We are happy to do swops on your meals. ;-)

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Lunch time or evening the food and service are always great. The portions are very generous with good choice and good atmosphere. A fantastic venue for a group but equally good for two. I've lost count of the amount of times I've visited (that includes the caravan on Cattle Market) and my favorite has to be the Godfather. If you like 'proper' burgers this is the place for you.

ZaksNorwich, Manager at Zaks Waterside Grill & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thanks for taking the time to give us brilliant review. Hope you have a loyalty card. Our burgers are 100% beef. 'Proper''!!! Thanks.. ;-)