“a nice little surprise”
Review of Mackintosh's Canteen - CLOSED

Mackintosh's Canteen
Price range: US$30 - US$40
Cuisines: British
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: St Stephans Street and Theatre Street.
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I just wanted to say what a lovely little place this is. Popped in on a shopping trip, with our niece and nephew, and were welcomed very pleasantly by a lovely girl. She offered us a brasserie menu, or a more reasonable lunch menu. We opted for the latter. Service was swift, professional and with a smile! and the food was really good, The place was buzzing and it was a really good to see an independent restaurant keeping up with the mainstream! A tall gentlemen, one of the managers, came and spoke to us, and gave us some great local knowledge on where to shop. A good experience with lots of friendly staff, and we are looking forward to our next visit.

Reviewed 23 November 2012 via mobile

We had a table booked for three people, a pre theatre meal. We were made vey welcome and the staff were very pleasant. We ordered our food which came fairly promptly, having ordered an additional glass of wine and waited what seemed like an age and the staff were not rushed off their feet, I eventually managed to attract the attention of a waitress to find the whereabouts of my wine and she apologised and said she had forgotten to order it, she came back with a large glass and only charged for a small as an apology, which was good. We then waited for ages once we had finished our main course, again I had to attract the attention of a waitress and ask whether we might order some dessert. Clearly having finished our meals she asked whether she should clear the plates, doh! No we want to sit and look at them until you bring our dessert! We mentioned again that we were on a tight shedule because of the theatre. We ordered our desserts which to be fair did arrive fairly quickly, they were set down in front of us, we waited assuming maybe incorrectly that we might be given some cutlery, no that was far too simple. I had to get up myself, having tried to attract the attention of someone, walk to the serving hatch and ask for some. One of the desserts had been sent without the icecream it had specified on the menu, yet another delay. Overall the food was excellent and I suppose if we hadn't been in such a hurry we wouldn't have minded so much, but a pre show dinner sitting should be a bit more slick I suggest. Am not sure whether I shall return.

Reviewed 18 November 2012

As a Nowich resident I have been using Macks for years. The last two times have been awful. They have recently changed ownership and standards have really slipped. The breakfast on the past two occasions have been terrible, grey eggs, cold beans, cold toast and it goes on, The restaurant has also become dirty, the kitchen, which is on show, I saw the chef moving food around the plates by hand, ok may be if out of site, but I saw it and I could not eat it! The service has also gone downhill recently, a real shame as used to be great, this restauant needs some TLC...

1  Thank Jamese317
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Had a very nice meal with very good waiting staff, on the first floor. I sat in full view of the kitchen and was disturbed to sea the blonde female chef constantly wipe hear mouth and nose with the back of her hand and arm and then continue to serve, this seemed to be a habit! Waitress was using toilet with her apron still on and young blonde girl refilling plates bowls etc need not bother with her hat as all her long hair hangs out of the sides, she passes through the kitchen every time she fills up. If you are going to have your staff on show they really must comply with these health issues.

Reviewed 1 November 2012

Fab city centre food outlet. Burgers are to die for and the Sunday Roasts, well, all i can say is try for yourself. You will not be dissapointed.