“Really good quality food”
Review of Mackintosh's Canteen - CLOSED

Mackintosh's Canteen
Price range: US$30 - US$40
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: St Stephans Street and Theatre Street.
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Really good quality food”
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Top notch food, have been here several times and the food has always been top quality. The service is usually good but can get bad during busy periods

Visited November 2012

“Taken a terrible turn for the worse”
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Been coming to this restaurant for a long time as its located very conveniently for shopping in the city. Unfortunately never again. Visited 4th January 2013 for lunch. Started with bread which came quick enough, had to ask for side plates and a children's menu. One plus was water was readily available, probably a good thing with the amount of salt in the food!
Brasserie and downstairs were virtually empty aside from another couple who had their order spectacularly screwed up...the soup they ordered seemed to change every five minutes.
Anyway, 4 mains and a children's meal ordered in a virtually empty restaurant.....28 minutes later and the food had not arrived but had been plated up and sat there for I don't know how long. 3 meals then delivered, front of house girl then proceeded to go off and do something else before bringing the final meal. Food is normally above average in here, nothing special but a decent lunch with good service. This was awful with no apology from front of house for how long we had waited, we were wondering if the reason it took so long was because the kitchen was looking for even more salt to add to the food.

Always enjoyed eating here. Not again. Avoid at all costs, there are far better places to eat in the city that offer better value for money and far better service.

Gone downhill drastically, a real loss.

1 Thank Sophieelizabeth2013
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“New Year's Eve.”
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I used to be a regular at Macks and stopped going after the employment of a truly awful manager.... However we decided to give the NYE menu and entertainment a go. It was brilliant. The menu was well thought out and beautifully cooked. I had the pheasant which is tricky to get right because it can be dry, but it was moist and delicious. The taster puddings were gorgeous.

After the meal we adjourned downstairs where one of the Macks staff DJ'd. It was apparent that this young man is talented and quite clearly knew what he was doing. We all danced and saw in the New Year together with a glass of champagne.

Many congratulations to the staff who worked that evening. The 3 girls upstairs ran a friendly, professional and efficient shift that night and are worthy of great praise. The chefs too deserve a mention.

This was the Macks of old and reminded me of the days when the very efficient Kelly was in charge and it is to be hoped that 2013 will see them prosper once more. Whoever makes the decisions should recognise that experience, whether in the kitchen or on the floor is what creates good business and should never be undervalued. The team on NYE should serve as a blueprint. Well done.

• Visited December 2012
Hales, Norwich
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Always good, comfortable food”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Whenever I visit the food is good, the cost reasonable, it's central and the service is brilliant. The last time I went I was on my own but felt entirely comfortable.

Visited November 2012
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Wow! What a hidden gem. Recommend!”
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I went here a couple of years back and didn't think much of it. Then on monday I decided I would give it another go as I heard from a friend it had new owners. I sat upstairs by the window and recieved a wonderful meal. The staff were quick, helpful and ever so friendly and the food was also quite delicious. I thought for the food quality and presentation the value for money was spot on. I will be going there in the near future and will be taking my friends with me, hopefully they can keep up my expectations!!

• Visited December 2012