“Very average... or maybe below average...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rare Grill & Steakhouse - CLOSED

Rare Grill & Steakhouse
Price range: US$23 - US$79
Cuisines: British, Steakhouse, Grill
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Experience the buzz at Rare Grill & Steakhouse. Unwind with a relaxed dining experience in an opulent but elegant restaurant. Enjoy the simplest of food, cooked well, in a room with great decor, great sounds and great ambience.Located opposite the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Norwich, Rare Grill & Steakhouse offers a fantastic selection of delicious steaks and grills. Rare also showcases a fabulous choice of vegetarian, fish and meat dishes designed to suit every palate.The fabulous Mirror Bar can be found at Rare and makes the perfect place to indulge in a pre-dinner aperitif, a late cocktail or simply a pick me up in the middle of the day whilst unwinding. The terrace overlooks the gorgeous landscaped garden. Rare Grill & Steakhouse – exceptionally tailored, unusually complicated, extraordinarily delicious.Opening times:Monday to Friday : 5pm to 10pmSaturday : 12 noon to 10pmSunday : 12 noon to 9pmThe Mirror Bar : 2pm till late daily.
London
“Very average... or maybe below average...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

My wife and I stayed for one night at the adjoining Georgian House Hotel (see separate review) for a visit to the theatre.
Initially, I had booked for a late lunch, intending then to have just a light snack later before the theatre. The helpful lady on the hotel desk pointed out that (a) we would be the only people lunching! and (b) they could do a pre-theatre meal for us at 6pm or even 5:30pm. We opted for 5:30.
When we arrived at the restaurant, we were told where to sit - on the basis that it was fully booked and would fill up quickly from 6pm (which it certainly did not).
We both ordered soup for our starter - which took about 20 minutes to arrive. It may have been freshly made - and to give it some credit, it did taste good. However, by the time it arrived at the table it had a good skin on it, which made me think it had been kept hot for a while. It was served with a small piece of bread - but no butter was offered.
My wife's main course (after another long wait) was an Italian salad of mozzarella, tomato and green salad - but contained a very high proportion of red onion, which swamped the delicate flavour of the cheese.
My main was a smoked salmon and prawn salad. The salmon tasted OK, but was chopped quite small and mixed with green leaves, so it was hard to tell how much there was. The prawn and marie rose sauce tasted slightly odd, so I left most of it. Ditto the pile of coleslaw in the other corner of the plate, which was very poor (worse than supermarket "basic").

All in all - not a great meal and not cheap.

Norwich, United Kingdom
“Waste of time!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

I booked a table at Rare four days in advance, when we arrived they had no record of our booking. They managed to squeeze us in (as though they were doing us a favor!!!). We were asked to sit in the bar and they would bring us our menus......20mins later, they then took a further 20mins to take our orders. Shortly after receiving our order they showed us to our table where we waited nearly half an hour for our starters which I could only rate as average. A waitress then came to our table and her exact words were "you realise we haven't got the ribs you ordered don't you" well no why would we if we haven't been told??? Why weren't we told when we ordered the ribs? But it was ok because they had pork ribs instead!!!! When the meal came, again all I could rate it as was average, I've had better, cheaper steaks in other establishments. So to sum up our Rare experience I would say, disappointing. I think we will stick to Mambo Jambos in future.

“Dreadful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Have visited Rare before, and no complaints, this time no management direction whatsoever, booked for meal at 19:15 hours arrived at 18:45 with friends, told staff ready to order at 19:00 hours, completely ignored had to chase a waitress to order, when finally directed to table was not asked if we required drinks or water, just left for thirty minutes with no drinks, then two meals arrived, as we were a party of four this seemed pretty awful, chased the other meals, finally arrived ten minutes later.

When we had finished our meal, again ignored, not asked if we required any pudding, just presented with the bill, nobody bothered to ask if anything was satisfactory.

It was the worst experience of a restaurant in the fine city of Norwich I have ever had to endured. I would suggest they employ more staff to manage customers with a more professional attitude.

The food that we received was reasonable, but nothing special, remember we were not given the chance to try the pudding!

I would not recommend this restaurant to my worse enemy, and will never darker their doors again, as Norwich has a vast selection of great eating houses

Visited October 2013
Cheshire, United Kingdom
“Relaxed atmosphere and good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

Joined friends for supper and thought the evening would be just average having read previous reviews. However from our arrival until the end of the evening everything was just perfect. Comfortable area for pre-dinner drinks. Restaurant itself is beautifully furnished and both the service and the food were excellent. Having eaten out in many restaurants in and around Norwich, I feel that this is certainly one of the best. Customer service was excellent.

england
“What service?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

Table was booked for 7.45 - we were shown to the bar,served a drink and gave our orders for two rib eye steaks. We took our drinks through to the table and were given water we had ordered and that was the last of the service. Spent a while trying to flag someone down to ask for another drink as we had sat with empty glasses for some time. The food appeared one hour after arrival but they forgot to bring the sauce for the steak so we had to ask for that. The steaks were thin, dry and looked as though they had been tenderised or just mashed in some way. We have far better ones at home from the local butcher. No tenderising required. Our plates were removed and we asked for the dessert menu. This never appeared. Bored by now we asked for the bill. This did appear but nobody seemed to want to pick it up and process the card. We wished we had cash and could go home. Eventually someone came and I pointed out that she hadn't given us the dessert menu. She said sorry and hoped I had a good evening. I said there hadn't been any service. We went home and had dessert. Would we go again? No!

• 1 of 5 bubbles