“items on menu they didnt have”
Review of Rare Grill & Steakhouse - CLOSED

Rare Grill & Steakhouse
Price range: US$23 - US$79
Cuisines: Grill
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Experience the buzz at Rare Grill & Steakhouse. Unwind with a relaxed dining experience in an opulent but elegant restaurant. Enjoy the simplest of food, cooked well, in a room with great decor, great sounds and great ambience.Located opposite the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Norwich, Rare Grill & Steakhouse offers a fantastic selection of delicious steaks and grills. Rare also showcases a fabulous choice of vegetarian, fish and meat dishes designed to suit every palate.The fabulous Mirror Bar can be found at Rare and makes the perfect place to indulge in a pre-dinner aperitif, a late cocktail or simply a pick me up in the middle of the day whilst unwinding. The terrace overlooks the gorgeous landscaped garden. Rare Grill & Steakhouse – exceptionally tailored, unusually complicated, extraordinarily delicious.Opening times:Monday to Friday : 5pm to 10pmSaturday : 12 noon to 10pmSunday : 12 noon to 9pmThe Mirror Bar : 2pm till late daily.
Reviewed 22 December 2013

we were a table of eight only one other table in there so no atmosphere we had to ask them to put some music on no rib eye steaks left this just went on to other things we ordered my daughters meal had two things missing when we asked they just said chef hasn't got any didn't tell her before she got her meal while we were there we found out they are closing down in two weeks so obviously they are not really bothered what you think of it or if there are things missing on the menu

Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

To be honest we only went here because we couldn't get in any other restaurants but my husband and I had a very enjoyable evening with our friends. The food was very good. We all had steak which were cooked to exactly how we asked and the chips were lovely. The only thing to let the evening down was the service. Some plates were removed whilst others were still eating. ( my pet hate) and I think every member of staff must have asked if we wanted to see the dessert menu. 5 times we were asked. However if you fancy a plate of good old steak and chips then I would quite happily go here again.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Arrived for a friends birthday, 6 of us. First visit for me and definitely my last. Arrived at 7.45 for drinks from table at 8.15. Starters ordered fine, main course not quite so successful. No chicken, no duck but at least the weather was fowl ! One of our party ordered boiled new potatoes to accompany her Rare burger, and with just a slight nod from the waitress we weren't sure whether they would arrive - true to form of the rest of the evening, they didn't!! Burger returned to kitchen, presumably stood on the side while the potatoes cooked as when the dish was returned the burger was cold. I shared the Chateaubriand with the birthday boy, again a disappointment, 6 slices of steak - very rare although ordered medium, and no sauce whatsoever. Sauce arrived, the wrong one and it was just awful, 'take oxo cube, hot water and add in a few mushrooms'. Ribs were in some kind of sauce but definitely not bbq, as ordered. Only one brave soul went for dessert which was lovely, but arrived with no cutlery. One of our party ordered a straw for her long glass, 'sorry, we've got no straws', easily remedied by one of our party going to the bar and getting one herself! This was the straw that broke the camel's back. I can almost feel sorry for the staff working here as it seems things are seriously wrong judging by previous reviews on here, however, come on people, your guests are paying a lot of money to have a nice meal, where's the service!!!!!!

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Went on recommendation for my wife's birthday treat. What a disaster. We were shown a table for four of us and settled down (after drinks at the bar). Within ten minutes we were asked to move as someone else had asked for the particular table we were allocated. We ordered starters to include Thai fish cakes. These were cold and five minuted later the other starters arrived, wild mushrooms on toast. These were awful and tasted of wine vintager. The four separate steaks then arrived all supposedly cooked to the individual's requirement. They were all delivered to the wrong person. At this point we realised that we were sat right opposite the toilet door which meant that every time the door was opened we got a wiff of sanitized toilet block. We declined a dessert and ordered coffe in the bar are which eventually arrived. We complained about the whole fiasco and th bill was adjusted by two starters , one fillet steak and four coffees. So we paid £104.00 and left. The manageress tried her best but the whole thing was Faulty Towers from start to finish. Definitely cannot recommend this establishment at all and advise people to avoid the place.

2  Thank Victor1937
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My wife and I stayed for one night at the adjoining Georgian House Hotel (see separate review) for a visit to the theatre.
Initially, I had booked for a late lunch, intending then to have just a light snack later before the theatre. The helpful lady on the hotel desk pointed out that (a) we would be the only people lunching! and (b) they could do a pre-theatre meal for us at 6pm or even 5:30pm. We opted for 5:30.
When we arrived at the restaurant, we were told where to sit - on the basis that it was fully booked and would fill up quickly from 6pm (which it certainly did not).
We both ordered soup for our starter - which took about 20 minutes to arrive. It may have been freshly made - and to give it some credit, it did taste good. However, by the time it arrived at the table it had a good skin on it, which made me think it had been kept hot for a while. It was served with a small piece of bread - but no butter was offered.
My wife's main course (after another long wait) was an Italian salad of mozzarella, tomato and green salad - but contained a very high proportion of red onion, which swamped the delicate flavour of the cheese.
My main was a smoked salmon and prawn salad. The salmon tasted OK, but was chopped quite small and mixed with green leaves, so it was hard to tell how much there was. The prawn and marie rose sauce tasted slightly odd, so I left most of it. Ditto the pile of coleslaw in the other corner of the plate, which was very poor (worse than supermarket "basic").

All in all - not a great meal and not cheap.