“One of the best steaks I've ever had”
Review of Rare Grill & Steakhouse - CLOSED

Rare Grill & Steakhouse
Price range: US$23 - US$79
Cuisines: Grill
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Experience the buzz at Rare Grill & Steakhouse. Unwind with a relaxed dining experience in an opulent but elegant restaurant. Enjoy the simplest of food, cooked well, in a room with great decor, great sounds and great ambience.Located opposite the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Norwich, Rare Grill & Steakhouse offers a fantastic selection of delicious steaks and grills. Rare also showcases a fabulous choice of vegetarian, fish and meat dishes designed to suit every palate.The fabulous Mirror Bar can be found at Rare and makes the perfect place to indulge in a pre-dinner aperitif, a late cocktail or simply a pick me up in the middle of the day whilst unwinding. The terrace overlooks the gorgeous landscaped garden. Rare Grill & Steakhouse – exceptionally tailored, unusually complicated, extraordinarily delicious.Opening times:Monday to Friday : 5pm to 10pmSaturday : 12 noon to 10pmSunday : 12 noon to 9pmThe Mirror Bar : 2pm till late daily.
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Went here for my 30th Birthday with the family. Arrived and were seated in the lounge area which would have been the living room when it was a house. Had a really nice feel to it but the waiter did explain that they had been bought out and that this was actually their last night open for 6 months so they may be missing some things. This didn't bother us as they had everything we wanted but I know a few people there were a bit miffed when there was no Vodka or Rose. The only downside (but this didn't ruin our evening) is that we were never told when booking that they were closing down for a period and as a result some things would not be available.

We ordered our food and sat in the lounge area for quite a long time before we went to our table. Whilst this may not be to some people's liking (as there were clearly tables available) I really enjoyed the evening sitting with family in comfy sofas having a nice chat rather than sat at a table waiting for our meal.

Once escorted to our table our meal followed after 5/10 minutes and I can only say it is one of the most perfectly cooked cuts of steak I have ever had. I had the rib eye, medium rare and it was absolute perfection. I couldn't have asked for anything better. The vine tomatoes were really nice and the thick stack of chips were really nice too.

Everyone at our table was speechless with how good the food was and we even got a free bottle of Prosecco for my Birthday.

It's such a shame that this place is closing for six months as it was the first time I'd been and I just want to go back.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

we were a table of eight only one other table in there so no atmosphere we had to ask them to put some music on no rib eye steaks left this just went on to other things we ordered my daughters meal had two things missing when we asked they just said chef hasn't got any didn't tell her before she got her meal while we were there we found out they are closing down in two weeks so obviously they are not really bothered what you think of it or if there are things missing on the menu

Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

To be honest we only went here because we couldn't get in any other restaurants but my husband and I had a very enjoyable evening with our friends. The food was very good. We all had steak which were cooked to exactly how we asked and the chips were lovely. The only thing to let the evening down was the service. Some plates were removed whilst others were still eating. ( my pet hate) and I think every member of staff must have asked if we wanted to see the dessert menu. 5 times we were asked. However if you fancy a plate of good old steak and chips then I would quite happily go here again.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Arrived for a friends birthday, 6 of us. First visit for me and definitely my last. Arrived at 7.45 for drinks from table at 8.15. Starters ordered fine, main course not quite so successful. No chicken, no duck but at least the weather was fowl ! One of our party ordered boiled new potatoes to accompany her Rare burger, and with just a slight nod from the waitress we weren't sure whether they would arrive - true to form of the rest of the evening, they didn't!! Burger returned to kitchen, presumably stood on the side while the potatoes cooked as when the dish was returned the burger was cold. I shared the Chateaubriand with the birthday boy, again a disappointment, 6 slices of steak - very rare although ordered medium, and no sauce whatsoever. Sauce arrived, the wrong one and it was just awful, 'take oxo cube, hot water and add in a few mushrooms'. Ribs were in some kind of sauce but definitely not bbq, as ordered. Only one brave soul went for dessert which was lovely, but arrived with no cutlery. One of our party ordered a straw for her long glass, 'sorry, we've got no straws', easily remedied by one of our party going to the bar and getting one herself! This was the straw that broke the camel's back. I can almost feel sorry for the staff working here as it seems things are seriously wrong judging by previous reviews on here, however, come on people, your guests are paying a lot of money to have a nice meal, where's the service!!!!!!

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Went on recommendation for my wife's birthday treat. What a disaster. We were shown a table for four of us and settled down (after drinks at the bar). Within ten minutes we were asked to move as someone else had asked for the particular table we were allocated. We ordered starters to include Thai fish cakes. These were cold and five minuted later the other starters arrived, wild mushrooms on toast. These were awful and tasted of wine vintager. The four separate steaks then arrived all supposedly cooked to the individual's requirement. They were all delivered to the wrong person. At this point we realised that we were sat right opposite the toilet door which meant that every time the door was opened we got a wiff of sanitized toilet block. We declined a dessert and ordered coffe in the bar are which eventually arrived. We complained about the whole fiasco and th bill was adjusted by two starters , one fillet steak and four coffees. So we paid £104.00 and left. The manageress tried her best but the whole thing was Faulty Towers from start to finish. Definitely cannot recommend this establishment at all and advise people to avoid the place.

2  Thank Mike J