“Avoid at all costs”

Price range: US$13 - US$66
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We love our food here at The Lion and we hope that you will too. You can choose from menus which have been created to showcase the best local in season produce, sourced from trusted suppliers throughout Settle and the surrounding area.
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We booked a table at the Lion for a meal during our stay in Settle and can say this is the first bad review I have ever entered on your site but with just cause.

We booked our table for 5.30 and after we had avoided the dog being seen to in reception we were shown to our table. Immediately ( big priority) we were asked about drinks which were brought over straight away We were given the menu and I asked for the market menu which is advertised on a board at the door. This was 5.33 and the young lady who was serving us said she would have to go and check if it was still on. Yes it is on as is says on the board till 6pm. She brought the market menu and left us sitting for another fifteen minutes without a thought of coming to see what we wanted to order. Meanwhile the manageress didnt give us a glance she was more concerned with the dog, clearing tables outside and finding a stock of candles and holders and dealing with a complaint from a guest about other guest. We heard everything that was being said. Then the guest was asked in a loud voice. ARE YOU SURE. It wasnt very nice atmosphere..
Everntually I caught the girls eye and she came over to take our order. We thought she was waiting till 6pm so that she could say the market menu was no longer available. I chose from the market menu. What a mistake!!!!!!!!My pate arrived nearly needed a magnifying mirror to find it on my plate as well as the butter which was the size of a rountrees pastel. My husband's chicken arrived and I must say it looked good and he said it was ok. Although the sauce was more like milk than anything else - but at least he had a dinner. I ordered a ploughman's for my main - big mistake. It arrived on a chopping board - limp lettuce, two small bits of cheese, half a tomato, salsa and a small slice of bread and a pickled onion and dont forget the butter. I asked for more butter. Thankfully the butter came in a ramakin which I was able to use for the onion which was rotten all the way through. The waiter who showed us to our table came and asked about our meal. Words failed me.............How can anyone send this sort of food out of a kitchen. Speaking to locals later in the evening they were not surprised. They no longer go to the Lion because they have been disappointed too many times. If in settle give this place a wide bearth.

1  Thank springside
Lion_at_Settle, General Manager at The Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I take feedback very seriously and am dissapointed that your visit to us was not what you wished. To give us an opportunity to make a better impression please could you contact me on 01729 822203. Kind Regards, Louise

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Wide menu catering for all, big portions,good food(settle pudding is immense), varied wine choice served in a typical largish English pub. Dogs allowed, is this good or bad?

Lion_at_Settle, Duty Manager at The Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your visit to the Lion. We get alot of great feedback from guests about allowing dogs, as there are not very many places that do allow dogs. Hayley Mace and all the team at the Lion.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Welcoming pub for all including soggy dogs(for whom they supply towels!). Superb food sourced locally

Thank you for your kind comments, we hope you will be back to the Lion. Hayley Mace and all the team from the Lion.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Had supper here a couple of nights during a recent visit to Settle. It's better than cheap and cheerful but along the same lines; menu is perhaps a little limited but there'll be something for you.

Service was prompt and friendly, food was perfectly reasonable- had a steak pudding on both nights which consisted of good quality meat and the portion wasn't sparse.

Not where I'd go for anything special but for a bite out at a reasonable price it fits the bill well.

Lion_at_Settle, Duty Manager at The Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

I am pleased to read your lovely comments on your recent visit to The Lion. Thank you for taking the time to review your meals you had and we hope to see you again soon. Hayley Mace and all the team at The Lion.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We have eaten here a couple of times and whilst we have not had a bad experience we haven't especially enjoyed it either. The presentation of the food is rather fussy and the taste doesn't quite live up to the presentation. Probably fairly reliable pub food but we won't rush back.

Thank you for your comments on your recent visit to The Lion. I am saddened that you 'won't rush back' to The Lion. I do hope you will give us another chance in the near future! Thanks again, Hayley Mace and all the team at The Lion.