“Late lunch”

Price range: US$14 - US$71
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We love our food here at The Lion and we hope that you will too. You can choose from menus which have been created to showcase the best local in season produce, sourced from trusted suppliers throughout Settle and the surrounding area.
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My husband & I called in for lunch on 15 May having arrived via the Carlisle to Settle railway trip.
So unbooked early afternoon, the welcome by staff was warm and the service nice without being intrusive. We both ate from the 2 courses for £9. I had Mackerel & horseradish pate which was tasty my husband chicken liver pate which he enjoyed, for mains I chose local sausage & spring onion mash just the right size portion, the fish and chips my husband chose would have been too large for me, but was much appreciated by my husband.
If ever in the area again we would certainly eat there.

Lion_at_Settle, Duty Manager at The Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Thank you very much for your kind comments. I am very pleased you enjoyed your visit to the Lion and we look forward to welcoming you here again. Thanks again, Hayley

Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Previously visited the lion before & everything was amazing 5 stars but this time me & my friend came for dinner oh we was gutted. The gentleman who served us was not overly friendly, if anything he was quite blunt & was not very welcoming. So we sat are dinner came in very good time, we was shocked how quick. But unfortunately the dinner was not the best, carrots cooked whole & in a dish not very appealing. The Sunday dinner stated with all the trimmings.. We got 2 slices of meat, 2 roast potatoes, a Yorkshire pudding, 1 piece of broccoli, 1 piece of cauliflower & a carrot cooked whole! It certainly was the most disappointing roast we had seen in all are years of dinning out. What We had pictured in our heads certainly was bit what we got. When dining not one member of staff came & asked us if everything was okay. So we ate what we could & sat there waiting & waiting for someone to come over but nobody came so I had to go up to the bar where I had to ask for the bill. Shame about our experience yes I'd return but not to dine just for a drink

1  Thank Charliefarleymcenna
Lion_at_Settle, Duty Manager at The Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review your visit to the Lion. I apologise that you do not like the way we serve our carrots, they are chunks of vegetables, and we do not serve whole carrots.
Our roasts do come with all the trimmings, as we as very generous with the size of our vegetables, Yorkshire pudding, roasts potatoes and slices of meat we feel giving too many would just be too much, also as we do get a lot of feedback about our roasts dinners being too much for people to eat it all.
I am disappointed no one came to check back on your meals as this is one thing we live by here at the Lion.
We look forward to seeing you again and hope you will dine with us.
Thanks again, Hayley Mace and all the team at The Lion.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Had a most enjoyable meal with family. It's pub food, but good pub food - tasty but unpretentious. Good ales on offer as well. The staff were very good on a busy Sunday lunchtime service, efficient, pleasant and helpful. I would certainly return.

Lion_at_Settle, Duty Manager at The Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Thank you for your lovely review. I am pleased you enjoyed your meals and we hope you do return. We look forward to seeing you again.
Hayley Mace and all the team at the Lion

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Even though we don't have a dog, I thought it was a lovely touch that the first thing you notice when entering is a pile of towels to dry off your dog.

We ordered the fish and chips and sausage dishes from the afternoon menu and both of us thoroughly enjoyed it. At £9 for two courses, it represented very good value. Our little girl had a cheese burger from the children's menu. She can be the most fussiest of eaters. But she scranned the adult sized burger in no time and was most impressed.

I find a lot of places these days are either pubs that reluctantly serve food to stay competitive or have turned themselves virtually into full time restaurants. This was one of those rare places that has fully embraced the food culture of a modern pub but still has the feel of a traditional old style boozer.

The barmaid was very friendly and helpful and made us feel very welcome. Which isn't always the case when you have a child in tow. Especially as we originally just ordered drinks and made no indication we would be eating.

I'm not sure we'll be visiting Settle again. But if we do we would return to this place without a doubt.

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to the Lion.
We think the 'market menu' is a great idea, as do most of our guests! I am very glad we 'impressed' your daughter with our cheese burger.
Thank you for your kind words and we do hope you decide to return.
Hayley Mace and all the team at the Lion.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

The food was lovely (the Settle pudding was immense!), the service quick and attentive, the decor was lovely, the price was good value and the atmosphere was relaxed. What more could you want in a meal out after a long day walking?!

We particularly loved the fact that our rather large Bernese Mountain Dog, Barnaby, was made very welcome...and even was brought a bowl of mash to mix with his food as a treat! We in fact chose the pub after having read that dogs were accepted - there were even towels avail to dry them off! :)
Apparently the rooms are also doggie friendly...defo consider staying here in future too! :)

Note - the sister place in Malham (The Lister) is very similar and well worth considering too!

Hello, thank you very much for your kind comments about your visit to the Lion. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed the food and you found the service was quick and attentive.

We love meeting our four legged friends and we want them to feel just as welcome as our 2 legged friends! We have 2 dog friendly rooms, so if you come back for a stay you know where to go...
We look forward to seeing you again.
Hayley Mace and all the team at the Lion