“Disappointing”

Brasserie at the Courtyard
Ranked #3 of 6 Coffee & Tea in Settle
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Brasserie is within a superb complex of new rennovated barns adjacent to the A65 near Settle.Open daily for breakfast, morning coffee, brunch, lunch and afternoon tea. Mixing contemporary interiors, an open plan kitchen and traditional barns we serve modern English and European cuisine. Seasonal events run throughout the year. Disabled access and ample free parking.
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We met up with friends for lunch on December 27th. This was my second visit to the Courtyard, having enjoyed a very enjoyable game evening in October. The whole setting of the Courtyard and its shops oozes quality and individuality. The wine shop and cheese shop in particular are second to none, staffed by extremely knowledgeable staff. The Gallery has some very high quality gift items and the interiors shop is to die for.
So why oh why does the restaurant serve gorgeous fish with oven chips and frozen peas??? You have a full working kitchen! Why can't you cook your own chips? Such a let down. Come on! You can do better than that! Don't let the place down with such poor quality food!
Very disappointed.

Emma_Darbyshire, PR & Marketing at Brasserie at the Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you spoke to our Brasserie Manager during your visit so that we were able to modify your bill. Unfortunately we had run out of our fresh bread loaves due to a tremendously busy Monday morning and early lunch service and despite additional bread being in the oven, this was not ready in time for your visit. Service during extremely busy periods in both the kitchen and front of house has been reviewed and we hope that we have now covered for all eventualities.

There are newer reviews for Brasserie at the Courtyard

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I read with envy the lovely fresh bread enjoyed by previous diners at the Brasserie. My wife and I both had the seafood chowder, which was fantastic (and the only thing saving this review from a "terrible" rating). Instead of the delicious sounding bread roll on the menu, we were served thin sliced brown supermarket bread...the stuff that costs £1 a loaf at Tesco. They had run out....at 13.30 on a Monday?!! We also shared a chicken sandwich which was claimed to be on granary bread. I know cheap supermarket ready sliced brown bread when I see it, and that's what it was.

We waited 25 minutes for a table as it was stated they were very busy. Not a problem as we explored the other attractions on offer. The service was friendly but disorganised. There were clearly staffing issues in the kitchen. There seemed to be a good staff to customer ratio in the restaurant but this wasn't reflected in the service. When our order was taken (after some delay) we were then informed that there would be a 20-25 minute wait for food as the kitchen was busy. Considering the dining room was only 2/3 full, this was a bit of a mystery.

We travelled some distance to visit the brasserie and this is unlikely to be repeated given this lacklustre performance.

Emma_Darbyshire, PR & Marketing at Brasserie at the Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

I always visit this place when I come to Hellifield to visit my father. I've only ever had brunch and coffee here so was disappointed to read recent reviews about Sunday lunch!! I love everything about the place from the Abraham Moon shop to the wonderful cheese shop which is worth visiting even if you haven't time for coffee! If you're visiting the area it's a must!!

1  Thank Stiletto64

Thank you for your review and we very much appreciate your continued support of The Courtyard and The Brasserie.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

The decor and layout of the brasserie is beautiful, though I have to say the restaurant was very cold and draughty when we visited.

The food was ok, we opted for sandwiches which were nice enough, the bread was lovely and fresh. The chips which we ordered as a side order were a little oily for my liking.

Coffee (latte) was very weak and barely warm.

The service unfortunately was very lacking, whilst there were a number of diners in, I definitely wouldn't have said it was busy. There didn't seem to be any control or enthusiasm from any of the staff. Once we had finished our sandwiches, no one came over to ask if we had any further requirements, which we did! We were ready to order cakes and further coffees, after about 10 mins we managed to attract someone's attention, he said he would send someone over to take our order. After waiting a further 15 minutes and still no one had been to take the order, we settled the bill and left. Poor service, no one even asked if everything had been ok, disappointing :(

Thank you for your review and apologies that when you visited our front of house team were not up to their usual high standard and were rather 'jaded'. I am confident that we will do much better for you next time.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I visited with a friend for Sunday lunch and chose the beef and Yorkshire pudding at £14.95.
. To be fair to the staff , we were informed the beef was rare but when it arrived it was more uncooked than rare and I had difficulty eating it although my friend enjoyed hers. The vegetables were nice as was the one Yorkshire and couple of roast potatoes but all in all a bit pricy for the amount . Pudding, we thought as we both had room and so opted for the crumble for my friend and chocolate bread and butter pudding for myself. I started on mine but after the first mouthful discovered it was stone cold in the middle and lukewarm round the edge. I called over a waitress who said she would get another. A different waitress appeared several minutes later and said the pudding would take 3 minutes!!! I asked if that was how long the microwave took to reheat it!!!! No response from her!!! The pudding duly arrived and was boiling! The microwave must have worked this time! I had no apology , no manager came to talk to me and the waitresses seemed indifferent, maybe a food thermometer would be a good investment? !
The Brasserie is in a good spot on the main road to the lakes but our experience was not a particularly happy one unfortunately.

Emma_Darbyshire, PR & Marketing at Brasserie at the Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

Thank you for your review which I have discussed with the Brasserie Manager and Head Chef who both remember your visit. I am glad that we were able to serve the beef to your requirements. It does appear that your dessert slipped through the net from the kitchen and was too cool for you, but again, I am glad that we were able to serve you a warmer one. We hope to see you again soon.