“What a gem”

Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in Settle
Wallsend, United Kingdom
“What a gem”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Arrived by coach in Settle on one of the rainiest days this year. Walked past all the other cafes packed to the gills and found Poppies hidden away down a side street. What's more there were a number of empty tables. The waitress came to our table with a big smile on her face and shortly returned with a huge pot of excellent tea for us. Our jacket potatoes arrived shortly after and looked and tasted delicious. The huge salad which came with them was full of different flavours and obviously carefully thought out. We noticed that the special of the day was jam roly poly which I cannot resist so we ordered it. What a sensible move. It was delicious! What a lovely friendly place it is. We will certainly be back next time we are in Settle.

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank Petercrawf

Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Disappointing Lunch”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My husband and I went for lunch at Poppies Tea Room today after working up an appetite walking our dogs along the river. We had previously read the reviews on trip adviser so were expecting a lovely lunch. Unfortunately, that was not the case. I ordered the cheddar and wensleydale salad and my husband ordered soup and a sandwich.
My salad was described on the menu as a 'full salad', so I was disappointed when it arrived, my salad consisted of mixed leaves, tomato, cucumber and chopped pepper, not a great selection for a 'full salad'. I got some little pieces of quite bland cheese, a very mediocre bread roll (supermarket, packet variety) with some chutney. When I asked for salad dressing I was told they don't have any and don't stock it, however I was offered mayo or salad cream.....there was no coleslaw or potato salad which is usually given as standard on most salad and even side salad menu's.
My husband said his soup tasted funny but his ham sandwich was okay and it did have plenty of ham in it.
We will not be going to Poppies again, on Friday I had a lovely lunch at the Naked Man in Settle with my daughter, the food was much better, they had more choice, the prices were very similar and you get a much better lunch with quality ingredients.
I do hope this review has been helpful to some of you out there as I only leave honest and accurate feedback

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank Jack393
poppiestearoom, Owner at Poppies Tea Room, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Jack393,
I've just returned from work and have read your review of Poppies Tea Room. I am disappointed to hear that you were so unhappy after your visit to us. I spoke to you myself when you and your husband came to pay and the only comment that you made was that you were surprised that we didn't have any salad dressing. I said that I would take your comments on board and I have done just that. I made some dressing this morning, ready for customers to use.
But then I read your review and discover that there were more points that you were unhappy with. Unfortunately, I can do nothing about these now. But if you had brought these to my attention at the time then I could have tried to rectify them whilst you were with us.
Our cheeses and ham that you mention are sourced locally and are usually very popular with our customers. Our mushroom soup is a tried and tested recipe and we sold a huge amount of it on Monday, with some very positive feedback. The salad that you didn't enjoy is freshly prepared every day , with a variety of herbs to enhance its flavor.
I feel that your rating of 'terrible' is very harsh. We apologized for the points that you raised with us and learnt from them. But to rate our service, atmosphere and value for money as terrible, I think, is unkind.
We are a small, privately owned cafe with limited resources in terms of space and what we can produce, but we do pride ourselves on trying to give the very best to our customers at all times. Sweeping reviews can be very damaging for a small business like ours.
I would ask you to reconsider whether your review is accurate and honest, and if you could rate us more accurately. With regards.
Chester, United Kingdom
“GLUTEN FREE HEAVEN”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Finding other tea rooms in Settle busy we noticed the sign for Poppies and found it down a quaint little alley. Our original intention was to have just a drink but when my husband found out that the majority of the cakes on display were gluten free it was a 'no brainer'. We also noticed that many of the items on the menu were marked g/f or could be made gluten free. It is so good to find a small cafe that has g/f food available and flexible enough to make other items on the menu also gluten free. We did not experience any of the rudeness stated by earlier reviews - the young lady behind the counter was very smiley. Highly recommended if visiting Settle especially if you are a coeliac.

• Visited April 2014
4 Thank JENNYWREN778
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Pleasant tea/coffee room”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Hidden away a bit from the main road but near a car park by the station. Good homemade pastries reasonably priced.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Allan R
Settle, United Kingdom
“A Regular Haunt”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I go there regularly since I live locally. Always clean, always friendly and the coffee in particular is always good - the choice of the day today was an Italian roast and it was excellent. It's small and tucked away but is well worth seeking out. I don't know whether the person from Ilkley was having a bad day but her description of Poppies is a million miles away from my experience. It's a lovely little cafe and the prices are reasonable too.

• Visited April 2014