The Lion at Settle
US$212
US$201
Hotels.com
US$141
Tennant Arms Hotel(Kilnsey)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$104
Orbitz.com
US$115
The Traddock(Austwick)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Travelocity
All reviewssettle puddingbar areaflask of fresh milkmarket placepay and displayeggs benedictfish and chipslovely mealthe pubevening mealroaring firesunday lunchbeefbooked a tablewalking weekendgreat roomsettle to carlisle railway
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We recently spent 2 nights at the Lion and found it be an excellent base for exploring that part of Yorkshire. The rooms were very good, the bar and restaurant were also better that we expected from an inexpensive inn. The staff were friendly, helpful and obliging. Free hifi, a varied menu and good local beers, what more could you ask for!

Room Tip: The back and courtyard rooms are away from the road.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Inns_0f_Character, Hayley Mace - Duty Manager at The Lion at Settle, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here at The Lion, I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon!

Kind regards,
Hayley Mace - Duty Manager and all the team at The Lion.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Two days at the Lion, cannot speak too highly of an excellent Hotel in the middle of Settle. We ate there both nights and the food was very good and reasonably priced.

A good selection of cask beers on the bar, all in good condition, two good well cooked Yorkshire breakfasts served by pleasant attentive staff my wife and I cannot fault the Lion.

A nice clean bedroom, spotless bathroom with bath and shower lent itself to two really nice days at the Lion, we would/will definitely return. If you are a jazz fan then Tuesday night is a night to stay, The Black Horse Jazz band appear every Tuesday and are very very good, an added bonus for our stay.

Thank you to all the staff who were pleasant and helpful.

The parking on previous trip advisor comments sounded to be something of an issue. I personally did not find it too much of a problem. Ashfields car park across the road and accessible on foot through a courtyard lined by shops (including what looked to be a very nice Indian restaurant) is a couple of minutes walk away.

If you park after 4.00 pm it is £2.00 pounds until 10.00am the following day, reasonable and fairly secure.

With respect to the management of the Lion ( or perhaps Thwaites brewery who own the Lion) would it be reasonable to arrange with the local council/authority for dispensation for residents staying at the Lion to park for free.? We have stayed in various place in Hawkshead in the Lakes, they have the same problem, no parking. What they do is give you a notice for the car which states you are staying in the pub/hotel and parking is free for the duration of your stay.

I also noted that a club across the road, I think it was Settle working mens club has a very large car park, would it be possible for the Lion to have some agreement for residents of the Lion to use the club car park.?

These are only my thoughts and in no way did the parking, or lack of it, spoil my enjoyment of a very nice Hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms at the rear of the hotel are probably quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Inns_0f_Character, Hayley Mace - Duty Manager at The Lion at Settle, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to the next time you come and stay!

I appreciate your comments about parking and think this is a very good idea. I’m not promising anything, but I shall see what we can do. There’s no harm in asking. Thank you very much!

Kind regards,
Hayley Mace - Duty Manager and all the team at The Lion.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Decided to have an overnight stay hear after seeing a recommendation in the Sunday Times. The bedroom (No 1) was smallish but adequate, clean with teas/coffee/hot chocolate/biscuits, the bed was very comfortable (needed after a busy day) and the bathroom had a shower (no bath, so not able to soak aching limbs). Hotel provided fresh milk in a flask for your room (a lot nicer than the usual UHT stuff). We also had our evening meal hear which was excellent. The full "Yorkshire" breakfast was cooked to order and so arrived fersh and hot, whilst you still had a choice of cerials, fruit, yoghurt and do it yourself toast. Staff were also pleasant and helpful. Overall a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Inns_0f_Character, Hayley Mace - Assistant Manager at The Lion at Settle, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Thank you for your kind words, we appreciate feedback good and bad as it helps us improve our service and we really love to know what guests think of us and their stay with us. You mentioned about a bath, we have a few rooms with baths, so next time when you book, please mention that you would like a room with a bath. Small details, big difference is what we like to say and little things such as offering fresh milk can put a smile on people’s faces. As silly as it sounds, it is true. I am delighted you found your meal to be excellent. Thank you once again.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We visited Settle and stayed at The Lion 1st Sept 2013 for 7 nights with a pair of recumbent trikes, the staff looked after us (and trikes) brilliantly with nothing being to much trouble, the room (overlooking the rear courtyard) was spacious and clean and the shower was the best ever being completely controllable. The food was of a high quality with the beef on Sunday being to die for, also the fish and chips with proper mushy peas. I must mention the staff again as they were so professional, attentive but not intrusive and friendly while not being over familiar, I plan to return for my birthday, thank you everyone at The Lion.

Room Tip: Ring and speak to the staff
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for such a great review. We strive to give the best service possible and to make the guest enjoy their visit and by the sounds of it, we succeeded, which is great to see. I will pass your great comments on to our chefs as they love hearing feedback about their food. I am 100% sure they will be pleased with your comments. I also will be passing on your comments to the staff about how professional, attentive and friendly they were. This really does boost their confidence when interacting with guests, so thank you. We look forward to your next visit for your birthday.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Spent two nights at The Lion at Settle. We were warmly welcomed and shown to our room. Fresh milk for tea/coffee was a nice touch. The bed was huge and very comfortable. The room décor was okay but could be doing with a little updating - the room was very clean though. We ate both nights in the restaurant - the food was fantastic! Breakfasts were great too with a huge choice on offer, catering for every need. All in all we enjoyed our time in Settle and would love to go back and stay again.

Room Tip: If staying through the week, I'd ask for a room at the back. Very peaceful on Sunday morning but on Monday we were woken by numerous lorries trundling by!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

What a great review! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, I hope you come back and stay with us again. Thank you.