The Lion at Settle
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
The Craven Arms(Giggleswick)
View Hotel
Eldon Country Hotel(Long Preston)
  • Free Internet
The Traddock(Austwick)
Golden Lion Hotel(Horton-in-Ribblesdale)
  • Restaurant
New Inn Hotel(Clapham)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewssettle puddingbar areaflask of fresh milkmarket placepay and displayeggs benedictfish and chipslovely mealthe pubevening mealroaring firesunday lunchbeefbooked a tablewalking weekendgreat roomsettle to carlisle railway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 February 2014

On 24/1/2014 I booked through an online booking agency an overnight stay at another hotel in Settle and upon arrival the hotel in question was closed luckily for my wife and I the hotel owner happened to turn up at the same time as us and when I asked what had happened he informed me that the premises had ceased trading in December 2013 and that he had informed the booking agency in question of this the man then suggested that we stay at The Lion at Settle and he himself then contacted the Lion arranged our accomodation and even negotiated for us a reduction on their tarif. The Lion at Settle provided us with a 1st class Double Room which was large, clean and warm. We dined there on the evening and found the food to be very good. The Full Yorkshire Breakfast the following morning was excellent and there was also a choice of toast cereals, fresh fruit and yogurts aslo tea, coffee and various fruit juices. The Staff at the Lion were excellent friendly and very helpful the only slight downside was I found the pillows to be too soft for my liking and as I was ready for bed by then I did not bother asking for an extra pillow had I done so my request would undobtedly have been dealt with. I would like to say thankyou to all at The Lion for averting what could have been a disasterous experience and I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Lion_at_Settle, Duty Manager at The Lion at Settle, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

I am very pleased you were directed to us and we had a room for you to stay in! I am glad you enjoyed the food, especially the breakfast! If you asked us for some more pillows we would have provided you with some, also we keep extra pillows in the wardrobe. Thank you very much for such a great review, we hope you come back to us! Hayley Mace and all the team at The Lion

Reviewed 27 January 2014

this is one of the nicest pub hotel ive ever stayed in the staff were so helpful and friendly...we had a sunday luch which was superb.The village of settle was small but had eveything you could want .At the nightime we were advised by the staff to go to the indian across the road which was not licensed so we took our our booze it was very good indeed ....I will be definatley going back again and again loved it ...

Room Tip: any room is good
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Lion_at_Settle, Duty Manager at The Lion at Settle, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Thank you for such great comments about your recent visit to The Lion. I am so pleased you enjoyed your time here and all the staff was able to help you. We look forward to your return. Thank you very much. Hayley Mace and all the team at The Lion
Please follow us on twitter @LionatSettle and like us on facebook The Lion at Settle

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We had a great short stay at this hotel. Of particular note was the friendly and helpful staff that went out of their way to make our stay great fun. The family room was comfortable and reasonably spacious, and the pub and restaurant were very family friendly with a welcoming log fire. Breakfast was excellent (free flask coffee to take away is provided), evening meal was good value.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Lion_at_Settle, Duty Manager at The Lion at Settle, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

I am glad to see the staff made your stay fun and you found breakfast was excellent. Hopefully you will return for a longer stay. If your connected on facebook please like our page, The Lion at Settle. Also if you are connected on Twitter, follow us @LionatSettle. Thank you very much, Hayley Mace and all the team at The Lion.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Hotel staff: fantastic, they really could not have been more friendly and helpful.
Room: we stayed in room 12 which is a decent-sized room with a lovely big bed but a tiny bathroom (with a shower that didn't work). There was a lot of noise from the restaurant below in the morning.
Food: very disappointing. Three of us ordered the tempura prawns as our starter. The waitress went away then came back ten minutes later to tell us that there were no prawns left. So, two of us ordered moules mariniere instead. Once again the waitress went away then came back to say there was only one portion of mussels left. When they eventually arrived they were very poor, swimming in a pool of almost flavourless cream sauce. Not even a bit of chopped parsley on top. My main course, crispy pork belly, was served with dried-up sprouts and carrots and there was nothing crispy about it as the crackling had been removed. Fish and chips came with dried-up mushy peas.
Wine and beer: well-priced, good selection.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MikeClough
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Enjoyed 2 lovely nights here with friends. Great food. Service excellent and not too expensive for this standard of hotel. The end of December and it was actually fine enough to get out walking but would have been quite happy to stay in front of the fire all day!

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a bath so worth requesting if you prefer one.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

I am pleased you enjoyed your visit to The Lion. Thank you for your great comments, we hope to see you again soon. If your connected on facebook please like our page, The Lion at Settle. Also if you are connected on Twitter, follow us @LionatSettle. Thank you, Hayley and all the team at The Lion.