“Horses for Courses”
Review of Assam House Whitby

Assam House Whitby
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitby
Assam House Whitby
Ranked #119 of 151 Whitby B&B and Inns
Scarborough, UK
“Horses for Courses”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Much has been made of the friendliness of the host, in many of the other reviews. To be honest, when I stay at a B&B/Hotel, I am not looking to make a new friend, I am looking for polite and competent service, together with acceptable accommodation. At Assam House, I and my partner received neither. The double bed had a duvet which more resembled the surface of the moon, than an acceptable item of bed-linen. No amount of shaking got rid of what was essentially a collection of lumps. When I came in at 02.00 and got in the single bed, it collapsed. Upon investigation, the bulk of the lats had fallen through the frame and I had to remove the mattress to replace them. In addition to this, one of the bedside lights didn't work, the door wouldn't lock from the inside without the key, the tv would only receive four channels, despite three attempts to retune and all attempts to get a decent night's sleep were hampered by the loud snoring from the next room, which we could hear through the paper-thin walls.

At breakfast, the only choices offered were a full-English of fair to middling standard and the vegetarian alternative consisting of the full-English, with a couple of low-grade hash-browns, replacing the bacon and sausage. The eggs of both myself and my partner had hard yolks and were extremely rubbery. The toast was actually pretty decent and it was nice to see a decent helping of butter portions on offer.

After breakfast we advised the proprietor of all the problems and told him that we would not be staying another night, as planned. At this point, he turned quite nasty, rather than attempting to address the issues we'd raised. I do not consider it great customer service to respond to a complaint from my partner, by saying "Well I guessed your type, as soon as I saw your face", neither was it an improvement to follow that up with" well you have two choices, you can pay for both nights or I'm calling the police and be assured, they will come", which is what he said to me. I invited him to call the police as I had no intention of paying for a second night, when we weren't staying because the place was so far below an acceptable standard and nothing the police were likely to say, would cause me to change my mind. To be honest I thought he should count himself lucky that I was prepared to pay him anything at all, especially when you bear in mind it meant that we had to start looking for alternative accommodation! He went on to explain that a previous occupant had messed-up the tv and a similar fate had probably befallen the bed. I have to say that I was under the impression that it was the management's responsibility to prepare the room, not that of the previous occupants.

The proprietor struck me as somebody who is probably fine, unless one makes even legitimate complaints, whereupon the red mist descends. As we were leaving he condescended to accept that the complaint about the bed was valid, but refused to acknowledge the other issues were anything other than us being 'difficult'.

Added to the above, the location is a good 10/15 minute walk from the centre of Whitby, so perhaps not that great if you're on foot and staying out late. If you want to make a new friend and you're prepared to accept any amount of slapdash service, then I'm sure you'll be most welcome at Assam House.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank ThreeWiseNinjas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Hadn't been to this part of Whitby before to stay. Parking is free outside but Dave allowed us to park on the driveway off-road so a nice touch. Room clean beds comfortable and we quickly got used to the sounds of the power flush of the toilet system! Host is not into strict breakfast times as long as you are sensible about it. Gave us knowing advice of the best places to go in Whitby and breakfast was superb. Don't change anything, Dave, you are doing it right so far!

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank firsttimehotelmoan
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Just returned from a two night stay at Assam House. On arrival was greeted by the very friendly Dave who went out of his way to make us both feel welcome (myself and husband). Although our room was very small was perfectly clean and very adequate for what we wanted. I suffer with Coeliac disease so I was very pleased when I was catered for Dave bought bread for me which was a real touch. Ten minutes to town centre plenty on road parking. Breakfast well what can I say you defiantly won,t go hungry. A pleasant stay and will return. Thanks for your hospitality x

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hayleylou1974
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I stayed in August for 8 days for folk week again. It's a brilliant place to stop in. Great access to town, parking on the road, on a bus route. Dave is very welcoming and very helpful;has no strict rules other than consideration for others. He cooks excellent scrambled eggs and provided me with custard creams every day.

Room 2 is clean, quiet, has it's own shower and toilet/sink in separate room. It's ideal for me:)

A great stay again and I'll be back for next year. :-)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We have just returned from Assam House after 4 days, we have had a brilliant 4 days. Assam house is very clean and very comfortable. We were greeted by Dave the owner who couldn't do enough for you. Best full english breakfast ever but Dave will do any thing you ask for, nothing is a problem. Hope to return sometime loved every minute of our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicola F
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2013

WE went for 3 nights including new year yet again faultless .Clean, food supurb .David a fab host .We went to the shooting/rifle club where David caters for the buffet ,the best new year we have had ,all the regulars were so frienndly and made us so welcome especailly Bob and janet cant wait to go again next new year booked already .

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank goodwin1953
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We stayed at Assam house for 4 nights, we were welcomed warmly by David whom throughout our stay could not do enough for us. Our room was comfortable, clean and quiet with a TV and DVD player and tea and coffee making facilities, also a fabulous en suite bathroom which is actually bigger than our own. There are no hard and fast rules, which is always nice, just consideration for other guests which goes without saying. We were able to park our car right outside the house. A short walk to the town centre and surrounding areas really made our stay fantastic.A full English breakfast was on offer every morning along with a choice of cereals, fresh orange juice and toast, we were even able to choose what time we wanted breakfast which was great. Coming back to Assam house in the winter.... cant wait!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple