“Very basic but friendly”

Middle Earth Tavern
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Whitby
Middle Earth Tavern
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We stayed here after nearly being blown away in our tent. The b&bs up the road were £80+ and had few had any parking. This is a very basic place, but I think that is reflected in the price. I cant lie to you......the decor was pretty grim, you dont often see a burgandy bathroom sink! However the room was clean, warm and comfortable. The location was perfect, 2 mins walk to all shops and pubs. The staff were also very friendly. We had low expectations of breakfast, but we were very pleasantly suprised, it was very nice. Unfortunately the room it is served in is in major need of a make over, but you do have lovely views across the harbour. If your looking for a good value base to explore whitby this place is very good no frills value, with free parking opposite.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank pinkjaynie
There are newer reviews for Middle Earth Tavern

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We arrived in Whitby on 31st August to celebrate our first wedding anniversary, we didn't book anywhere to stay before we got there so middle earth tavern was all that was left. Staff were friendly and welcoming, room was £60 for double bed and breakfast. Corridor had a musty pub smell about it but side door access was a bonus, so we didn't have to enter through the pub each time. Room was clean but needed a face lift...it was fine for somewhere to sleep for a night but I wouldn't stay for any longer. Wall paper had a few damp marks, radiator doubled as the bed head board and the sky box made a awful high pitched whistle. The shower was freezing!! Breakfast was great, full English, toast, cereal, hot drinks and fresh juice...don't expect a wonderful dining room though. I wouldn't stay again but was pleased they could spare us a room when it seemed everywhere else was full.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GemmaLWright86
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I've stayed here a few times,first off the breakfast's are delicious and delivered to the table quickly and also the service at the bar is perfect.
Onto the accommodation the rooms are not the best,the musty smell from the hallway/stairs is a bit off putting,as is the decor,I suppose at the price its cheap next time I'll be elsewhere though.
The louvre doors for the toilet may as well be paper,the water heater drones after use and the tv is like a kettle whistling,windows are not to be trusted as they slam shut randomly.
The bar always has some good tunes playing and the wall decor in the bar and toilet is excellent along with the beer/ales.

Room Tip: Its on the bay
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bigeyd
Reviewed 1 July 2013

got held up until 2 am the lady was very helpful and did wait for us to arrive which I am very grateful for had I arrived at my expected time of 17.00 hours I would have left without a doubt. I left asap without having breakfast so I cant comment on that cant believe why the rooms are so dated and dirty these rooms could be refurbished for a small amount . I would rather watch Dave lee Travis play Mac Beth than stop here again

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank mrmbest
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Spent a couple of nights here on 10th, 11th May Enjoyed the surroundings Staff / Manager / locals very friendly & a lot FUN, Will do whatever there can to make your stay welcoming, Enjoyed the breakfast, great views of harbour from dining area, Rooms comfortable, Only let down was the shower, could be better, Would like to thank them for a great stay Cheers

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Gerald S
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We popped into this unassuming tavern one afternoon whilst wandering Whitby. It had actually been recommended to us as a friend knew that we enjoyed sampling the more traditional pubs in the area. As we walked into the Middle Earth we liked what we saw - low ceilings, bric-a-brac and numerous references to Tolkiens fantastical world after which the pub is named. The layout is strange - a small bar serves a wide, open seating are with a dartboard at one end and through a door to the right of the bar there is a small lounge area, complete with sofas. The welcome was warm and the staff and locals friendly. The selection of real ale (which I am a stickler for) is comparitively limited but the pint I had was a good'un. Not quite out of this world but a certainly a cosy hobbit hole to drop into!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Yorkswalker
Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night in feb, the pub is really friendly staff are all lovely, the rooms are a little dated but very clean and comfortable and being a few minutes walk out of town lovely and quiet. The breakfast was lovely, great value for money would certainly stay again

• Stayed: February 2013