“We would stay forever”
Review of Red House Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitby
Red House Farm
Ranked #16 of 53 Speciality Lodging in Whitby
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We live in The Netherlands and have been staying at Red House Farm on a regular basis for the last 16 years. We have gotten to know Tom and Sandra as genuinely warm welcoming and friendly hosts who definitely go out of their way to make your stay with them a positive and enjoyable experience.

The setting is beautiful with hens milling about, cattle in the field and a duck pond - a proper taste of North Yorkshire! There is also lots to explore and enjoy locally even after all of our 16 stays we still take pleasure in exploring the area and discovering new things.

If you are reading this website and are trying to decide where to stay, please take into account all the positive reviews, including ours, that highly recommend Red House Farm and Tom and Sandra.

Come and stay with them, get to know them. We promise you won’t regret it.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 May 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hayloft Cottage in the Red House Farm for two nights and it was one of the most beautiful countryside holiday experiences so far. We had a warm welcome by Sandra and Tom. Sandra showed us around the farm and made us feel very comfortable. Our little studio cottage has been designed with so much thought and sincerity, every small detail is taken care of. The view outside is just gorgeous.During the three days that we were there, we spent most of our time in the farm, enjoying the calmness and beauty of the surroundings. There is a snooker room which also has a dart board and some other board games! Tom and Sandra are great hosts, they gave us our space and we were free to knock on their door anytime if needed. Tom is also building a swimming pool and exercise room/ fitness center which I am sure would make this place even more exciting :)

Loved every bit of The Red House Farm. We are definitely going back!

Gautami and Sudeep Shetty

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GautamiRai
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We have just returned from our second stay at Red House Farm, which was equally as lovely as our first: from a welcome cup of tea in the farmhouse kitchen on arrival to feeding the hens with our children before we left, we had a truly enjoyable time in this idyllic location. We were warmly welcomed and felt -as before- that the hospitality of Tom and Sandra Spashett was second to none. Sandra was both attentive and kindly considerate of our needs as a family without being in any way intrusive - and she struck just the right balance. Without doubt, this rates as one of the best farmhouse b&bs we have ever stayed at and so it goes without saying that we'll return!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2013

I have never felt so unwanted as I did at Red House Farm. I always think if an owner doesnt want to be bothered with their guests,clients whatever you want to call us then dont invite us in for a cup of tea actually don't take our money.

This was without question the rudest reception I have ever encountered and I travel as part of my job.

As we were doing the Coast to Coast walk we stayed in 15 B+Bs on the trot and this was the only one I wanted to leave within minutes of getting there.If we had arrived by car we would have gone.

I know the owner will remember -as I was obviously unhappy. Cant remember breakfast Couldn't leave quickly enough.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank stevelLancashire
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We have stayed at Red House 3 times, now, but have not previously reviewed as were not aware it was on Trip Advisor. Having found it, we are astonished at a couple of previous comments but will come to that shortly. For the accommodation, it has all been said before, really : wonderful house, superb location, lovely room (only ever stayed in main house so cannot comment on the “outbuildings”) and terrific breakfast. Of course some of the plumbing is a bit creaky but it all works. Tom and Sandra are perfectly amenable, not intrusive, and have always been perfectly “welcoming” to us so some of the comments about welcome received are simply puzzling.
What is unbelievable is the comment from "Brittany Girl" regarding the owners not being prepared to give people a lift to the pub ?!?! It’s a B&B, for heaven’s sake, it provides a bed and a breakfast. The location of the pub ( an easy 0.9 mile walk unless you are really lazy ) is not anything to do with the accommodation is it ? And if you know you are staying in a “rural” location, surely you check out the local facilities and you take a torch ?! The fact that the landlord ( who is no longer the landlord anyway) gave a lift back may be because he was asked to by a group of girls…….and the fact that he gave a lift should not reflect on the owners unwillingness. I certainly wouldn’t do it.
I despair sometimes over exactly how much people expect others to put themselves out. All said, we know that we will stay there again, and again, and again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank barryp54
TomGlaisdale, Owner at Red House Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Many thanks for your very kind review--it's so easy to be nice to nice people.
Sincerely, Tom & Sandra Spashett

Reviewed 5 January 2013

Spent a wonderfull new year in the Threshing Barn, the accommodation is efficiently old fashioned and very comfortable. Sandra and Tom were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble, Sandra ramble on and ignore those silly comments. Thanks for being so kind to Georgia and Ami and allowing us all to observe the newborn calfs. Will be back to tackle that climb at the head of the valley.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 November 2012

A slow reception at the end of a long wet day of walking to find our suitcases still outside the door, the drying room full of their belongings and then an offered cup of tea took an hour to eventuate while we waited in our wet gear and were regaled with stories of her life. It was made quite clear that there was no extra assistance to be had but we could call a taxi from Whitby for 13 pounds each way to get to the pub for dinner. We had to pass through the kitchen and their cosy dinner to walk in the dark to the village 1km away. Fortunately nice locals drove us home.
An unpleasant final night after a great 2 weeks of walking and accommodation.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joan W
TomGlaisdale, Owner at Red House Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2012

Firstly, I have to say, this is a bit embarrassing—I must ‘regale’ with stories of my life with some frequency instead of getting on with the business of making the tea, because, even though I know the date you were here, I cannot recall the specifics. I am truly sorry, and will attempt less talk and more action in the future. Regarding the long delay in getting to your room, I can only assume that I was behind with the room cleaning or that you may have arrived early—I can’t honestly remember, so I apologise.

The Luggage: We do provide a safe, undercover area for your luggage to be delivered to, but we are just a small farmhouse B&B and do not offer a porter service-- and we’re too old to carry huge bags, so can offer little solace here.

As for your other comments—Lift to the Pub/Drying Room—I probably can’t say any more than what I have said in BrittanyGirl’s letter below.
Yours sincerely, Tom & Sandra Spashett

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitby
The Mallyan Spout Hotel
#1 of 2 in Grosmont
The Plough Inn
The Plough Inn
#1 of 5 in Sleights

Been to Red House Farm? Share your experiences!