“Our Return to Royal Hotel one year on...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bay Royal Whitby Hotel

Bay Royal Whitby Hotel
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Castleford
“Our Return to Royal Hotel one year on...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

We returned to the Royal a year on from our last holiday here in June 2010. Not much has changed in that time except for the usual changes in personnel which occurs in these establishments.
One thing I am not happy about is the stipulation that you cannot check in to your room until 3pm (On the dot!) This seems to me to be very late in the afternoon considering that you have to vacate your room on the last day of your holiday by 10am.
We had arrived in the town earlier in the day and had passed the time waiting for check in by walking around the local area. We had elderly in-laws with us who were starting to get tired and when we went to the hotel around 2-45pm to check in there were already other couples starting to queue around the reception desk. When my father in-law approached the Receptionist to enquire if we could have our room keys as the previous year we had been allowed in at 2-15pm he was curtly told by her "That was last year, this is this year, you will have to wait until 3pm!" By allowing the self-drive guests earlier access to their rooms, it would avoid some of the "scrum" which formed in the entrance as one of the coaches arrived. This resulted in a large queue forming around the lift area and numerous mutterings about its inadequacies in coping with the large demand as holidaymakers arrived and needed to get their cases up to their rooms. Rather than spend time in another queue, we carried our cases up the 4 flights of stairs to our 2nd floor room. Being considerably younger and fitter than the majority of the guests at this hotel we were able to do this but for the majority it is not an option.
Our Room
The In-laws who are infirm had booked a standard sea view room on the ground floor and the room was totally unchanged from last year including the lumpy mattress on the single beds which have been complained about on some previous reviews. Again we had booked an upgrade to a "Superior Room" (the same one as last year I think). It cost us an extra £70 each including the sea view and again was pretty much as it had been the previous year including the drab dark mushroom and dark sea-green walls which hadn't bothered us last year when it was all fresh. The difference between our room and the standard room as we saw it were a nice comfortable double bed with duvet while they had button mattresses with seperate sheets and blankets. They had a 14 inch old fashioned CRT portable TV while we had a nice wall mounted 26 inch LG LCD TV, we had a silver cordless kettle while they had a corded white plastic one, 2 sachets of drinking chocolate, and a packet of 3 biscuits daily, while they just got the standard tea, coffee, sugar and milk, our bathroom had been modernised to a nice higher standard whilst theirs was still the old fashioned type. Toiletries were one area where we noticed a reduction in both quality and quantity of products. Last year they were very nice, supplied in small bottles and were replaced on a daily basis, whereas this time we were supplied on the day of arrival with a few sachets and these were not replenished at all during our stay.
The standard of housekeeping in our room was generally very good. As the hotel has a high percentage of retired guests, the rooms have very good heating and we found it a little too warm for us and we had our windows in the room constantly open night and day. We also brought along a small electric fan as we remembered this was very useful to us last year.

The Restaurant
Again as last year we found the restaurant to be excellent. Service did at times seem to be slightly slow but I think this was due to the work load the waiters had to deal with rather than any lack of effort on their part. Our 2 main waiters, Javier and Zoli were excellent, very efficient and spoke very good English. We had no complaints whatsoever about any of the meals we had, the quality and quantity of food was excellent and sometimes I wonder if I dined in the same restaurant as some previous negative reviewers!
Overall, we had a good holiday and we would return again to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank DeanoCastleford
vickiglen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2011
Many thanks for your comments. Whilst I appreciate your comments on our check in policy, we stick to this policy for a number of reasons. If the rooms, as a whole, are ready before 3 o’clock then of course we issue keys and allow our guests to get settled in. As a rule this is generally 3 o’clock on arrival days which allows our Housekeeper the time to check the rooms and for all corridors to be cleared of all linen, rubbish, hoover cables etc. Whilst I appreciate this can be frustrating, it is necessary when we have had a large departure no earlier than 10am.
As you can no doubt imagine, in a building this size redecoration is a continual task, with the decor in the superior rooms being about 3 years old and in good condition. The superior rooms in comparion to our standard rooms are much larger, offer the best views from the hotel and are designed to offer a more contemporary feel. Toiletries in the superior room should have been replenished daily and are always available on request from reception for the standard rooms as stated in the bedroom browser. I’m pleased to see you were happy with the cleanliness of your room.
Your comments with regards to the food are a pleasure to read. The team work very hard to ensure the best service possible.
We look forward to your next stay with us.
Vicki Glen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

Although we were only there for one night, on a National Holiday excursion, we were really pleased with the Hotel. Yes, some of the rooms are 'dated' but the communal areas were bright and roomy. Cabaret singer had a good voice and was easy to listen to. Our room on 2nd floor was spacious and although the furniture wasn't modern, it was clean, functional and we had plenty of space. The bathroom was roomier than the one we have at home and the linen was pristine. Small tv, hairdryer, telephone, tea/coffee stuff etc. All the lights worked (unusual for us!) and the beds were comfy. Good service in the restaurant from Javier (?) and the food was fine, served on hot plates. Couldn't have expected more for the price we paid, although the rack rate was (I'm sure) £104 b/b for a twin room - presume this is for one of the superior rooms advertised in the foyer.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank emgee
vickiglen, Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2011
Pleased to see you enjoyed your short stay. We pride ourselves in clean, comfortable rooms with modernising being an on-going project. I will pass your kind comments onto all the staff and in particular Javier.
We offer a variety of value for money short breaks (2, 3 or 4 nights) with the £104 you mention being for an on the day 1 night stay.
Hope to see you back at the Royal soon.
Rhos-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2011

Just come back from the Royal Hotel and the lovely town of Whitby...the hotel is in need of an upgrade to all of its cheaper rooms and it also needs a new chef...mushrooms in a garlic cream sauce consisted of tinned mushrooms in a white mess and for a hotel thats based in a fishing port why is there no fresh fish...the staff however would be a credit to any hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jjowoolton
I appreciate you taking the time to express your opinions. I am however, sorry you were disappointed with the food during your stay. The hotel is a large, old building and upgrading/redecoration is a continual ongoing task. As you can see from other comments on here, our food has received a number of very positive comments. Our menu’s are designed to offer high quality dishes, whilst continuing to offer value for money holidays. Please be assured that at no time have we used tinned mushrooms in the Garlic Mushroom dish. I would have liked the opportunity to discuss your disappointment at any time throughout your stay. However, it is very pleasing to see your comments regarding the team at the Royal who all work extremely hard to offer the best service.
We hope you will consider trying the Royal again, some time in the future.
Confolens, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

We booked this hotel as part of a Shearings short break, for my cousin's birthday. We had a wonderful time. The rooms were very large, and the sea views were wonderful - even from the bathroom! No complaints at all.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank westhills
vickiglen, Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, 8 June 2011
Great to see your positive feedback and hear that you chose to spend your family occasion here at the Royal. The views are certainly spectacular and the sea view rooms are very popular – definitely worth that little bit extra to see Whitby at its best! Hope to welcome you back soon.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2011

From the moment we arrived at the hotel we were made to feel welcome.
When we got to our room it was in first class condition and it was kept that way all the week by most friendly cleaning staff I ever met. my want two extra pillows I asked for at reception and by the time I got to our room the pillows had been delivered.
The service in the dinning room was first class by yet another great crew of people
The entertainment was top rate. The host Darren really worked to each night better than the last
Just outside was a green with plenty of benches facing to the sea where you can spend a few relaxing hours.
All in all if you want a relaxing holiday try the Royal. We will.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank wideload1528
Lovely to read your kind comments, the hotel is indeed in a stunning spot overlooking Whitby. We pride ourselves in excellent service and friendly staff and it is rewarding to see this coming across. We hope to welcome you back to the Royal soon.
Bradford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2011

On arrival, my key envelope had not been prepared despite my having booked several months prior and being on the passenger list, however this was soon rectified and the reception staff were very pleasant.
My room seemed fine and was spacious and clean (although the wall behind the bed was grubby due to the lack of a head board). At bed time I discovered the inferior quality of the mattress and hence spent an uncomfortable night - eventually cushioning the springs with the bath towel to prevent them digging in!
The evening meal was between 6.30 and 8 pm . I went down at 7.45 and was ignored by the waiting staff so I searched in vain for my allocated table number. On asking a waitress where I might find it, she asked if I was the driver, then asked a colleague who was heard to utter, "It is not possible." She then went off to fetch the supervisor who showed me to my table where I was ignored for a further 15 minutes. The meal itself was fine although the same could not be said of breakfast . I was sharing the table with 3 strangers who had eaten breakfast earlier and all their used crockery was left uncleared. My cooked breakfast seemed to have been left to congeal on the plate before being delivered and I was asked what kind of toast I wanted and was then brought the opposite, so mealtimes were a bit of a catalogue of disaster as far as I was concerned.

• Stayed May 2011
5 Thank susie186408
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

I stayed from Friday til Monday for the WGW end March with my husband, and my parents were in the next room. Our rooms were the old style, top floor and did not have a sea view, but they were spacious, immaculately clean, big bathrooms and plenty of room for all our clothes. Our rooms were serviced every day with fresh towels, yes the windows are old but we had them open most of the time as the room was quite warm, and it was great being able to open and close the windows easily as required. The food was fantastic, our waiter Victor made every meal a pleasure, there was so much choice on the menu, it was hard to decide what to order and all 4 of us usually went for something different and we were never disappointed with our food. Husband said kippers he had for breakfast were the best he'd tasted. The staff were all lovely and friendly, always smiling, and very professional and efficient. The location is stunning, looking over the sea and the Abbey. We did not want to leave, I felt thoroughly spoiled the whole time I was there. I cannot wait to go back and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. 100% satisfied with everything. Top Marks to the Royal Hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Frances1Edinburgh
It’s great to see so many familiar faces returning year after year for the Goth weekend.....certainly one of the most interesting events of the year. Victor was a fantastic waiter who has just left us unfortunately. As a group we pride ourselves in comfortable accommodation and great food and as a team we love to see when we’ve succeeded. Look forward to seeing you for the next Goth weekend in October if not before.