“Wonderful break at the Royal”

Bay Royal Whitby Hotel
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Widnes
“Wonderful break at the Royal”
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We stayed 28th August and had a really good time. Would reccomend paying extra for seaviews. We booked 3 rooms for family and they were all very clean and comfortable. The breakfast and evening meal was exceptional. I would like to say Julian our waiter couldn't do enough for us.
We went on the ghoast tour and Dracula tour that takes place by meeting outsde the Hotel, well worth doing and great laugh. Also the tour buses stop outside the Hotel .
Great entertainment too.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank WidnesMartins
vickiglen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2011
A pleasure to receive your comments regarding your stay with us. I’m pleased to read you encountered no problems during your stay and enjoyed your meals. As mentioned so many times on here, the sea view rooms are without a doubt worth that little bit extra. Julian was indeed a very pleasant young man who has now returned back home. The open Tour bus and various tours undoubtedly add to the character of the town. I will pass all your comments onto the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal soon.
Vicki Glen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
Glossop, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Definately upgrade to a superior room as these have been refurbished.we were in room 209 which was a large room with a really big bathroom and it overlooked the abbey. we stayed 4-7th november which turned out to be the goth weekend. it was a really busy time with great atmosphere, we foung the food to be quite good value with a fast and efficent service. Drinks were expensive and the entertainment was ok. all staff were really friendly. friends of ours stayed at the same time but their room was a let down as it was in the older part overlooking the car park at the back with old windows. overall i would stay again along as i was in a sea view room.

Room Tip: book a superior room with sea view
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jane499580
vickiglen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. Goth weekend are always good fun with a real buzz around the town. As has been mentioned in other reviews the superior/premier rooms are proving to be very popular and definitely worth that little bit extra especially as Whitby has stunning sea and Harbour views. The menus and entertainment plan are prepared with a view to offering something for everyone’s tastes.
I hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the near future.
Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Stayed here 4th-7th Nov . Must say most staff very nice and rooms kept clean and tidy though shower rail and basin taps need fixing. No handle on bedside cabinet. Beds are hard and lumpy , but by far the most disappointing was the quality of food. I'm no Gordon Ramsey but everything was frozen cheap food. Unbelievably they even serve frozen fish . . . . In whitby of all places. This must only be because of head office cutbacks because no chef , if there is one, would let food of this standard leave a kitchen. Feel very rushed at mealtimes . Entertainment was the best part. Dave ferry and the blues brothers tribute were good.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank swisstony2
It is always disappointing to read that guest’s have not enjoyed their stay as much as we would like them to but I do appreciate you taking the time to express your views. I am pleased to see the staff and cleanliness throughout the hotel met the standards you expected. I apologise for the inconvenience the faults you found in your room must have caused as these should have been picked up prior to you entering the room by my team. I have passed your comments about the shower rail and bedside cabinet to our maintenance dept to rectify the situation and prevent others facing the same problems. With regards to the food, we try very hard to offer something to everyone’s tastes. As you will see from other reviews on this site, we do receive a number of good comments with regards to our food and usually, should any problems arise, these can be rectified with a quick word with ourselves. However, I am delighted that you enjoyed the entertainment within the hotel and I will be certain to pass your comments on to Dave who performs here weekly.
I sincerely hope you would consider giving us another chance sometime in the future.
Vicki Glen

Travellers are raving about these Whitby hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2011

This was my sixth or seventh stay in the Royal at Whitby and we have already booked for NEXT year. Whilst not a Goth, punk, Steam Punk or whatever I find this weekend magical. At least half of the visitors are dressed up, mainly in variations of Victorian dress (links to Dracula and Captain Cook) one of the delights is how safe and secure we feel and the friendliness of everyone we meet!
Now to the hotel- it is a little Shabby Chic but it doesn't claim to be 5star!The staff are generally helpful and friendly (I say generally because only one did not come up to what we have begun to expect from the excellent staff in this hotel). The place is clean and the rooms are pleasant- very few flat screen TVs(but some updated rooms do have them) but then I don't come on holiday to watch TV. The food is good and wholesome with plenty of choice my only complaint is that the evening meal is now between 6.30 and 7.30 I thought that in the past it extended to 8.00-oh and I preferred coffee at the dining table as sometimes it is difficult to get a seat in the public rooms after dinner! Breakfast is excellent.
The views are terrific- this year we paid extra for a guaranteed view of the Abbey- magnificent!
The staff are a mixture of local and young Europeans. They are helpful and pleasant and deal with any issues as quickly as possible. there is entertainment every night and the costs (this year £119 for half board) are very reasonable. We were a group from 2 up to 81 and I am sure that the two year old enjoyed it as much as the 81 year old.

We will see you next year!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an Abbey View
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Scousemaid
vickiglen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2011
It is great to see so many familiar faces and returning guests at this time of year. I agree that the sights of the Goth weekend are a MUST for everybody if they get the chance. I thank you for your positive comments with regards to the rooms and dining arrangements. The staff work very hard in these areas and it encourages them greatly to read comments like these. With regards to the coffee in the lounge areas of an evening, this is currently on trial and we are receiving mixed comments on this. This will be reviewed in the near future.
We look forward to seeing you at the next Goth weekend, if not before.
Stockton on Tees
Reviewed 28 October 2011

I am currently in room 330 the carpet is threadbare and secured by black tape. The toilet cistern is smashed and glued in two places. The inside of the shower is rusty with rust marks running down the walls. It is generally poor I would never pay to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank SueFord69
It is always disappointing to read comments like these. I appreciate that some areas of the hotel are in need of upgrading sooner than others and I assure you that this is an ongoing project. I trust you were indeed more comfortable in the complimentary superior room upgrade you received for the duration of your stay.
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Excelle t premiure room with superb view of Abbey and very comfortable bed

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank Abbeyroyal
Thank you for taking the time to leave your great comments. I will pass your comments onto all our staff and the entertainment team. The Premier rooms are proving to be very popular especially for the stunning views they offer and are definitely worth that little bit extra. We hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I traveled up from Eastbourne on a Shearings coach holiday and my dad traveled up from Crawley and we met up at London Gateway. My dad has had a serious operation on his foot and been in plaster for 6 months and I treated dad to the trip which was by way of being a pay back for taking me to Majorca with him when I was ten and for all the times he took me to school on the crossbar of his pushbike!

I thought the holiday was a good deal at £288 each for a sea view room. For this we got all our transport, a wonderful day trip on a steam train and Eden Camp which was wonderful and a half day trip to Scarborough and breakfast and evening meals. I dread to think of how much it would have cost to have traveled by train or the fuel by car!

My dad had booked his wheelchair on the coach but at the last minute decided not to bring it as he thought he would have to try and carry it from one coach to the other at London Gateway. Neither of us realised that when we put our cases on at our original destination we wouldn't see them again until they were outside our bedroom door! Anyway, even though dad could hobble along with his plastercast as he hadn't been out and about much, he was really breathless so we ordered a wheelchair from WhitbyDAG who only had twenty minutes notice and brought the wheelchair up to be loaded on our coach for our first day trip. What a wonderful company, they just told us to leave the £5 a day fee at the reception desk when we left!

We experienced the carpeted lift on our way to our room 202 and we were really anxious after reading some of the reviews at what awaited us. Nothing at all to worry about, the room was massive and had two single beds and two chairs so that we could sit and admire the view which was absolutely stunning. The bathroom was immaculate with a modern shower above the bath and with the same lovely view. There was nothing like a nursing home about the room at all and it was really nice. Of course you can't expect Sofitel quality with the TV in the bathroom and remote controls doing everything, but it is homely and the heating was so warm that we slept with the window open.

The staff were really friendly especially our waiter on table 17 where we sat with my friend Sharon who traveled up from Ashford in Kent with her mum and her sister from Maidstone and they shared a triple room 205 which was massive with the same wonderful view. Nothing was too much trouble for our waiter and when we found that the sausages weren't that special we had an extra rasher of bacon instead which was nice and thick and perfectly grilled with poached or fried eggs etc. and the plates and food were nice and hot.

We didn't expect cruise quality food and some of the food was a bit hit and miss with frozen veg and Aunt Bessie roast potatoes but then we had some really nice baked ham and roast chicken and we never left the table hungry. I think the deal that we got would have been good even if all we got was bed and breakfast so getting a three course evening meal was a bonus. You never have to go hungry in Whitby so if you don't want the food go and get fish and chips. We went to Mr Chips over the river which was recommended by the man who worked in the Captain Cook museum and it was gorgeous and just over £7 for a small haddock and chips, bread and butter and tea or coffee. Wonderful and cooked in beef dripping which is unheard of in Eastbourne and I am spoiled for life now! We got off the old charabang coach after our trip to Goatland (Aidensfield in Heartbeat) at the co-op and walked over the bridge to get there. Our waitress rang for a taxi for us that would hold two wheechairs so Dad and Sharon's mum and sister went in the taxi and we walked up to the hotel. Dad said that the taxi driver stopped the clock way before the hotel and said that a fiver would do it. Can you imagine that happening down south, I don't think so!

We thought that the hotel drink prices were reasonable, £2.20 for a house brandy or £2.60 for a top brand and the latter price for Bailey's etc. The man behind the bar was really friendly and even though people complained in reviews about the TV on in the bar I thought it was a good idea and nice to go out to the bar for the coffee or tea after the meal which is all part of the deal and watch Emmerdale especially as we were in that part of the world!

We enjoyed the quizzes in the ballroom and the Filipino singer was good and the comedian was very quick witted even though I had heard some of his material before. The disco obviously catered for the age group of the clientele and it would have been nice if there were a choice of songs for the people who wanted to get up and dance. My friend requested some dance songs but the choice was strictly limited and repetitive. I think it would be a good idea to get a CD of party dance music or something as I have never known such a dire selection of songs for something which is advertised as a Disco. People would be up dancing and then American Pie would be put on so the floor would clear and it was madness.

On our free day we picked up the bus outside the hotel that was actually used in the TV program Heartbeat and even though it was a real bone shaker it was an experience and I don't know how it made it up the hills! What a lovely day and we went for a coffee in the 'Aidensfield Arms' from Heartbeat and the other places that were famous from the TV series. We had stopped at Goatland station on our steam train journey the day before which is also featured in the first Harry Potter. The sheep just wander around the village crossing the road at will and eating the grass on all the verges and it was the first time we had seen anything like it!

We took an optional trip at a cost of £8.50 on our own coach all around the beautiful villages to the visitor centre at the National Park and it was there that we saw the film which featured Robin Hood Bay. We were due to go to Scarborough on the included trip that afternoon but in the end we decided against it as various people we spoke to didn't rate Scarborough and as I knew I wouldn't be able to get the wheelchair up and down in Robin Hood Bay dad said that he would catch the Hop on Hop off bus that stopped outside the hotel and do the round trip, but as it was he made himself a bit too comfortable in the bar of the hotel! Anyway Sharon and I went to the bus terminal behind the railway station and it cost £6.20 for a return journey for the 19 minute trip to Robin Hood Bay. So glad we went as it is similar to places in Cornwall but beware it is a complete killer walking back up the hill! If you aren't fit then stick to the trip to Scarborough as our driver said there is a lift down to the lower levels.

We were so lucky with the weather and had blue skies every day which makes everything look lovely. The hotel isn't for young people and is the equivalent of a Fred Olsen cruise, but if you want good views, friendly staff and a place where the hop on hop off bus. local bus and the charabang that goes to Heartbeat country stops outside then this is the place to be. The food might not be five star but it is hot and the service is quick. I went to the Havana Spoon in Hove at the end of September and without a word of a lie, it took three hours for three courses! At the Royal Hotel your food is there as soon as it is ordered and everything was clean and well presented. Just a word of advice for the Royal Hotel, when you serve spaghetti bolognaise don't put potatoes on the plate as well! Our friend Arlene got this and her face was a picture and she said "I've had garlic bread, yes, but never potatoes with my spaghetti bolognaise!" Gave us a laugh anyway! I know there have been complaints that there aren't duvets but this wasn't a problem as there were nice crisp white sheets and at least the blankets get laundered which I shouldn't think would be the case with a duvet.If you stay in hotels in America sheet and blanket is the norm and bobbly blanket or not you don't sleep with it next to your skin and they are only bobbly because they are well washed!

All in all had a wonderful holiday and would recommend Whitby and the Royal Hotel and it has opened our eyes to the world of coach holidays!

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank SandraWallis
I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay here at the Royal with us. As always we like to keep our prices as competitive as possible. We also offer a number of incentives and special offers throughout the year which are worth looking out for. We have a great working relationship with Whitby Dag who offer an excellent service and are always more than happy to help us out on short notice.
I have passed your wonderful comments onto all of our staff including housekeeping, restaurant, kitchen, bar and the entertainment team who were delighted to see their hard work so favourably commented on. The restaurant team do their very best to offer substitutes and meet everyone’s requests wherever possible and it is pleasing to see this was successful on this occasion.
Whibty itself has some great attributes with the fantastic Fish & Chip restaurants and the various features such as the Charabang which is very much in keeping with the feel of the town.
I am pleased to see your first experience of coaching holidays met and it would seem exceeded your expectations and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.