“Tired dated friendly staff food average”

Bay Royal Whitby Hotel
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Hotel needs a lot of work inside and out food very average location can't be faulted. Value for money

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank mrsw71
vickiglen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2011

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments. Updating and re-decoration is as ever an on-going project with work being continually done. It is very pleasing to see your comments about the staff and I will ensure these are passed on. We hope to see you again here at the Royal in the future.
Vicki Glen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,112)

Reviewed 18 November 2011

We stayed overnight for my birthday, we upgraded to a superior room and to be fair it was very nice, clean and comfy beds and the view from the windows was worth the extra money, the entertainment was good but it was so hot in the concert room I couldn't bear it and had to leave. Drinks were average price but what let it down for us was the food,our starter at dinner was a spoonful of cold pasta with a bit of chopped up lettuce, as for dinner itself I had a slice of turkey,the vegetables tasted as if they had come from either the freezer or a tin, stuffing ball tasted as if from the freezer and gravy from a packet mix. My husband had sweet and sour pork and he said it tasted as if it was a freezer meal, both of us left most of it. Breakfast was marginally better but the fried eggs were solid. Having said that I could not fault the serving staff ,the young man we had was excellent. The staff at reception should take note from then. My husband did have a word with the duty manager who assured him all the veg were fresh...........yeah right!

Room Tip: Upgrade if possible as its worth it.
4  Thank anitamay

I appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. The superior and premier rooms are proving to be increasingly popular for their size, comfort and not to mention the stunning views they offer. I do indeed remember the conversation I had with your husband on the morning of your departure, with regards to the food. As I explained at the time we use a mixture of both fresh and frozen vegetables at each meal time. All food is produced daily in house and certainly not frozen meals as suggested. It is however great to see the restaurant staff so nicely commented on.
I sincerely hope your experience on this occasssion will not deter you from staying with us again or indeed at any of our other Bay Hotels.

Reviewed 15 November 2011

we stayed at the royal on a 5 day break with shearings,we had a lovely break.the hotel staff are very friendly and helpful,we were on the top floor at the back,but next morning asked if we could upgrade to a room at the front as the view over the abbey was terrific,this was done with happy results from us when we looked out of the window,we were given a table for two by the window in the dining room,we were on the turkey and tinsel holiday,and the food was good,and choices on each course.We enjoyed our break and we will certainly be coming back to the royal.The rooms are spacious and kept very clean by the staff,see you soon

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank seaside009
vickiglen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2012

Thank you for leaving your comments. I'm glad to see you enjoyed our festive break with us. It's great to see the staff so highly praised and that we were able to help you upgrade your room. The sea view rooms are without a doubt wortht he small supplement. We hope you choose to stay with us again in the not too distant future.
GENERLA MANAGER

Reviewed 14 November 2011

This is a really pleasent hotel, there are a couple of places with tired decor but that won't spoil your stay. The service was generally good. Food to a standard across the Bay Hotel range. Excellent location, (as long as you like steps!!) my only complaint arose on Sunday evening during dinner. I am a coach driver, while I was eating I was asked by a waitress if I would like a drink from the bar. I thanked her, but said no. She then asked me if I was a driver, I replied "yes". "well I don't know why I'm asking you then, you can get your own" she scowled. I drive a coach for a living, that doesn't make me a second class citizen, I accept that she was there to serve paying guests but I still deserve a little respect. I was polite to her. That was my only complaint about my stay.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank MrJROConnell

It’s a pleasure to receive your positive comments and that you enjoyed your stay. I apologise for the disappointment you felt with regards to the comments made in the restaurant. I honestly feel that the comments made by our waitress would have been meant on a more jovial nature than they have perhaps been received. We have approx 3-5 coaches in weekly and tend to form good working relationships with all the drivers. Generally, as we have a number of regular drivers they will go to the bar themselves and not require wine service at the table, but still I appreciate your points and have reviewed the situation with my staff. I would however have liked the opportunity to discuss this in person prior to your departure.

Reviewed 8 November 2011

I have just spent the last five days in an amazing hotel, The Royal in Whitby. It was the very place that Bram Stoker wrote Dracula, and next to where Lewis Carol stayed while writing Alice in Wonderland.. The view is second to none and the staff treat you to an amazingly high standard.

The food in the restaurant is very good and the speed the staff in there work at is not found in many five star establishments. The bar prices are about the same as anyone of the pubs in the town as well.

We had a very small problem in our room with the heating and mentioned it to the very helpful and friendly Scottish manager.... and within five minutes it was fixed.

i would recommend it to anyone who wants to stay in this wonderful historic town. 10/10

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the sea view.... it is worth EVERY penny .. especially at sunrise .
3  Thank Danny170
vickiglen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2011

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments. Whitby is a town steeped in history and we are lucky enough to be in the middle of it with some fantastic views. It is great to see the staff commented on so positively, they definitely work very, very hard and deserve every bit of praise they receive. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the team.
It is inevitable unfortunately that on occasion our guests may experience small problems during their stay but often a quick word with our FOH team can rectify this and I’m glad that was so in your case.
We hope you choose to stay with us on your next trip to Whitby.

Reviewed 8 November 2011

We stayed 28th August and had a really good time. Would reccomend paying extra for seaviews. We booked 3 rooms for family and they were all very clean and comfortable. The breakfast and evening meal was exceptional. I would like to say Julian our waiter couldn't do enough for us.
We went on the ghoast tour and Dracula tour that takes place by meeting outsde the Hotel, well worth doing and great laugh. Also the tour buses stop outside the Hotel .
Great entertainment too.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank WidnesMartins
vickiglen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2011

A pleasure to receive your comments regarding your stay with us. I’m pleased to read you encountered no problems during your stay and enjoyed your meals. As mentioned so many times on here, the sea view rooms are without a doubt worth that little bit extra. Julian was indeed a very pleasant young man who has now returned back home. The open Tour bus and various tours undoubtedly add to the character of the town. I will pass all your comments onto the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal soon.

Reviewed 7 November 2011

Definately upgrade to a superior room as these have been refurbished.we were in room 209 which was a large room with a really big bathroom and it overlooked the abbey. we stayed 4-7th november which turned out to be the goth weekend. it was a really busy time with great atmosphere, we foung the food to be quite good value with a fast and efficent service. Drinks were expensive and the entertainment was ok. all staff were really friendly. friends of ours stayed at the same time but their room was a let down as it was in the older part overlooking the car park at the back with old windows. overall i would stay again along as i was in a sea view room.

Room Tip: book a superior room with sea view
3  Thank jane499580
vickiglen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. Goth weekend are always good fun with a real buzz around the town. As has been mentioned in other reviews the superior/premier rooms are proving to be very popular and definitely worth that little bit extra especially as Whitby has stunning sea and Harbour views. The menus and entertainment plan are prepared with a view to offering something for everyone’s tastes.
I hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the near future.