“Very Comfortable Hotel & Fantastic Value for money”

Bay Royal Whitby Hotel
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Stays 7- 11 & 21 -25 November 2011

My wife and I have recently stayed at this hotel on 2 occasions. Yes it was so good, having checked the medium term weather forecast, we returned within 10 days! If you want a good base to explore the Esk Valley/ Yorkshire Moors and the coastline look no further. We overheard a few people muttering about the odd thing like the lift being slow and the odd thing wrong in rooms. The building is over 100 years old and looks to have been refurbished but you cannot make a new building out of an old one. I would much prefer to stay in this elegant old style hotel than many of the so called identical new ones with all mod cons.

We found this Shearings hotel on teletext "self drive" offers. Both stays were 4 nights "turkey & tinsel".

On both occasions our bedrooms were spacious and comfortable and well appointed (205 & 323). The former giving fabulous view across the harbour to the Abbey. We had an old fashioned TV but it worked and gave all 4 main terrestial channels, comfortable double bed with spare one/s in the room too. Bathroom very good with shower.

There are three different seated areas outside of the huge ballroom/entertainment room.
The staff are all friendly and helpful.

We got mulled wine on arrival and each evening around16.00-16.30 there was tea and biscuits/christmas cake/mince pies. On "Christmas Day" Wednesday we received a glass of free wine off Father Christmas before the evening meal.

Breakfast was very good with choices again. The full breakfast was very good and if you do not fancy ther sausage you get extra lean back bacon.
Evening meals gave a choice of 5 alternatives each evening, Meat, fish or vegetable dish, salad or chinese/italian choice. Choice of 3 starters and 4 desserts of which cheese and biscuits or fresh fruit were permanent choices. The food was of a good standard with full waiter and waitress service. It is not cordon bleucooking but what do people expect for £33 a night?

There was entertainment nightly if wanted, We attended most and drifted in and out of the things that did not interest us. The comedian on the thursday night was terrific and better than a lot you see on TV. I cannot recall his name. The resident host Darren Holmes is also a good all rounder and a useful singer himself.

There is a car park at the rear but we parked each night outside on the road within the parking bays at no cost even in the day. We are keen ramblers so everyday we went out and did a 8- 11 mile walk either on the moors in the Esk Valley or on the coast.

We enjoyed 2 excellent short breaks at an unbeatable price and we will now definitely seek out other Bay shearings Hotels if the same level of charges apply elsewhere.

The one off putting thing was a small patch of black mould on the third dining room ceiling presumably caused by someone flooding their room above at some point.This could easily be remedied with bleach and a coat of paint as it looks very bad and spoils the look of otherwise a very nice welcoming comfortable hotel..

Room Tip: Room 205 is very good. It is a family room however so we werew probably lucky to get it as mid week...
6  Thank geoffviking
vickiglen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2011

What a pleasure to receive your comments. It is great to see we ticked all the boxes and you decided to stay with us again so soon after your first break. We are indeed an old building full of character in a fantastic location for exploring the local areas. The sea view rooms as you say, offer the best views of Whitby.
The Tinsel & Turkey breaks prove very popular and are a nice start to the Festive season and good value for money with the little extras offered.
I will be sure to pass your comments regarding the food and entertainment onto our chefs and Darren. All of our staff work very hard and it’s always rewarding to receive such positive feedback.
You’ll be pleased to know the problem in the restaurant has now been redecorated.
We have 50 hotels across the Bay and Coast & Country brand all offering quality short breaks at good value prices across the UK.
We hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the New Year.
Vicki Glen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,127)

Reviewed 28 November 2011

This hotel is excellently situated an the West Cliff and has fabulous views across to the Abbey. This is my fifth year staying at this hotel for the Whitby Goth Weekend. Myself and the other members of my party would not dream of staying anywhere else when in Whitby. The rooms are spotless,the price is right, the location could not be more convenient, the food is standard across the Bay hotel group, but there is a good selection and it is always served piping hot - but the highlight for me is the warm welcome from the staff. You are greeted like family and the service is superb in all areas from the reception to the dining room.

This year unfortunately the lift broke down on the Sunday evening and an engineer could not attend until the Monday. This did not present any difficulties for my party but many of the residents who were less able did struggle with the stairs. In the hotels defence they did attempt to have it repaired on the Sunday but were met with circumstances beyond their control and they did arrange for staff to help carry bags to reception for guests checking out on the Monday morning.

We look forward to our next trip to Whitby and will of course stay at the Royal Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Wishaw_11

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments. It is great to see so many returning guests for the Goth weekends year after year. A lot of our regular guests repeatedly comment on the welcome they receive from the staff and we do look forward to the special event weekends where we know we will see a lot of familiar faces. I will ensure all the staff see the comments regarding the food and rooms etc. we did have problems with the lift which were rectified as quickly as possible but couldn’t be done until the Monday morning. Whilst I appreciate it is inconvenient, I’m pleased to see it didn’t spoil your stay.
We look forward to seeing you at the next Goth weekend if not before.

Reviewed 21 November 2011

Hotel needs a lot of work inside and out food very average location can't be faulted. Value for money

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank mrsw71
vickiglen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2011

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments. Updating and re-decoration is as ever an on-going project with work being continually done. It is very pleasing to see your comments about the staff and I will ensure these are passed on. We hope to see you again here at the Royal in the future.

Reviewed 18 November 2011

We stayed overnight for my birthday, we upgraded to a superior room and to be fair it was very nice, clean and comfy beds and the view from the windows was worth the extra money, the entertainment was good but it was so hot in the concert room I couldn't bear it and had to leave. Drinks were average price but what let it down for us was the food,our starter at dinner was a spoonful of cold pasta with a bit of chopped up lettuce, as for dinner itself I had a slice of turkey,the vegetables tasted as if they had come from either the freezer or a tin, stuffing ball tasted as if from the freezer and gravy from a packet mix. My husband had sweet and sour pork and he said it tasted as if it was a freezer meal, both of us left most of it. Breakfast was marginally better but the fried eggs were solid. Having said that I could not fault the serving staff ,the young man we had was excellent. The staff at reception should take note from then. My husband did have a word with the duty manager who assured him all the veg were fresh...........yeah right!

Room Tip: Upgrade if possible as its worth it.
4  Thank anitamay

I appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. The superior and premier rooms are proving to be increasingly popular for their size, comfort and not to mention the stunning views they offer. I do indeed remember the conversation I had with your husband on the morning of your departure, with regards to the food. As I explained at the time we use a mixture of both fresh and frozen vegetables at each meal time. All food is produced daily in house and certainly not frozen meals as suggested. It is however great to see the restaurant staff so nicely commented on.
I sincerely hope your experience on this occasssion will not deter you from staying with us again or indeed at any of our other Bay Hotels.

Reviewed 15 November 2011

we stayed at the royal on a 5 day break with shearings,we had a lovely break.the hotel staff are very friendly and helpful,we were on the top floor at the back,but next morning asked if we could upgrade to a room at the front as the view over the abbey was terrific,this was done with happy results from us when we looked out of the window,we were given a table for two by the window in the dining room,we were on the turkey and tinsel holiday,and the food was good,and choices on each course.We enjoyed our break and we will certainly be coming back to the royal.The rooms are spacious and kept very clean by the staff,see you soon

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank seaside009
vickiglen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2012

Thank you for leaving your comments. I'm glad to see you enjoyed our festive break with us. It's great to see the staff so highly praised and that we were able to help you upgrade your room. The sea view rooms are without a doubt wortht he small supplement. We hope you choose to stay with us again in the not too distant future.
GENERLA MANAGER

Reviewed 14 November 2011

This is a really pleasent hotel, there are a couple of places with tired decor but that won't spoil your stay. The service was generally good. Food to a standard across the Bay Hotel range. Excellent location, (as long as you like steps!!) my only complaint arose on Sunday evening during dinner. I am a coach driver, while I was eating I was asked by a waitress if I would like a drink from the bar. I thanked her, but said no. She then asked me if I was a driver, I replied "yes". "well I don't know why I'm asking you then, you can get your own" she scowled. I drive a coach for a living, that doesn't make me a second class citizen, I accept that she was there to serve paying guests but I still deserve a little respect. I was polite to her. That was my only complaint about my stay.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank MrJROConnell

It’s a pleasure to receive your positive comments and that you enjoyed your stay. I apologise for the disappointment you felt with regards to the comments made in the restaurant. I honestly feel that the comments made by our waitress would have been meant on a more jovial nature than they have perhaps been received. We have approx 3-5 coaches in weekly and tend to form good working relationships with all the drivers. Generally, as we have a number of regular drivers they will go to the bar themselves and not require wine service at the table, but still I appreciate your points and have reviewed the situation with my staff. I would however have liked the opportunity to discuss this in person prior to your departure.

Reviewed 8 November 2011

I have just spent the last five days in an amazing hotel, The Royal in Whitby. It was the very place that Bram Stoker wrote Dracula, and next to where Lewis Carol stayed while writing Alice in Wonderland.. The view is second to none and the staff treat you to an amazingly high standard.

The food in the restaurant is very good and the speed the staff in there work at is not found in many five star establishments. The bar prices are about the same as anyone of the pubs in the town as well.

We had a very small problem in our room with the heating and mentioned it to the very helpful and friendly Scottish manager.... and within five minutes it was fixed.

i would recommend it to anyone who wants to stay in this wonderful historic town. 10/10

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the sea view.... it is worth EVERY penny .. especially at sunrise .
3  Thank Danny170
vickiglen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2011

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments. Whitby is a town steeped in history and we are lucky enough to be in the middle of it with some fantastic views. It is great to see the staff commented on so positively, they definitely work very, very hard and deserve every bit of praise they receive. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the team.
It is inevitable unfortunately that on occasion our guests may experience small problems during their stay but often a quick word with our FOH team can rectify this and I’m glad that was so in your case.
We hope you choose to stay with us on your next trip to Whitby.