Bay Royal Whitby Hotel
US$97
US$154
  • Bar/Lounge
1,164 results
All reviewsself drivesea viewsmall liftevening entertainmentshearings hotelsshearings coach holidaycoach drivernational holidayspremier roomhalf boardlovely old hotelbar pricesopen top busbit datedgreat positionplenty of choicesingle room
Reviewed 18 September 2012 via mobile

Weve just come home from our 3 night stay at the Royal. After reading some of the reviews on here we were a little worried to say the least, but I'm glad to say we had nothing to worry about. Our room was clean and bright, food was good with plenty of choice and we enjoyed the entertainment in the evenings. The staff are always smiling and nothing was too much trouble for them. We will definitely stay here again

• Stayed: September 2012
vickiglen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

Many thanks for your lovely review. We have a variety of reviews on here and I'm pleased to see you don't agree with many of them. We work very hard as a team to offer comfortable accommodation, good food and value for money and it's great to see this was your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

My husband and I, along with a large party of friends recently stayed At the Bay Royal Hotel in Whitby. To say we were extremely disappointed would be a massive understatement. The quality of the hotel décor, food and customer service was appalling.
Our party arrived on Friday 14th September 2012. I had been allocated room 302. When I entered my room and looked around, I could not believe what I was seeing…
• No handle on the inside of the door which made it difficult to exit, possibly life threatening if there was ever an emergency evacuation.
• Wallpaper coming away from the wall
• Broken bath panel, which to my amazement was repaired with parcel tape of some sort !
• Rotten wooden window frames…There was a hole in the bathroom window that I could insert the whole of my index finger and still feel nothing solid!
• Cracked mirrored door in the wall cupboard (Wardrobe?)
At this point I would like to draw to your attention that we had paid extra for un upgraded room, and we were told that the room had recently been refurbished with new decor, furniture, digital tv .
• The paintwork was very tired and flaking. Especially on the window frames.
• The window frames had also never seen or experienced any sort of cleaning solution to be sure.
• Dust and cobwebs on the walls, skirting and ceiling
Our friends, who were equally aggrieved…On closer inspection of their rooms it was quite clear that my room was a slight improvement on theirs..
Room 316 had a hole in the wall, again their bath panel had been repaired with parcel tape, the room was dirty., along with a string of other issues akin to the above. Plus an extremely dated TV which would look out of place in a sixties sit com!
Room 342 also had most of the above issues; they were told that they could not use the shower until after 5pm that evening. There had apparently been and accident in there, and the shower unit needed to be resealed, my friend was told that someone would be up at 5pm to check that is was indeed sealed and to clean it. At 6pm someone did come into her room to check and clean?. When we inspected the shower after the visit, it was clear that all they had done was switch on the shower and swill the tiles…no cleaning fluid of any description had been used…there were still mould spores on the shower door. The paintwork had flaked of the woodwork right back to the bare wood in places. It was atrocious.
Room 321 also on the 3rd floor again had all of the above issues plus a broken window where a board had been nailed over it, leaving a gap which caused a draft on the scale of gale force.

I went back to my room (302) to discuss things and perhaps have a coffee.. I went to into the bathroom to use the toilet…OH My Goodness!! I could not believe my eyes. The bathroom window was infested with what looked like gnats!.
I told the receptionist that this whole experience was become a horrible nightmare and that if the situation with the gnats was not immediately addressed that I would have no option but to contact the environmental health.
She said that they were sand flies and that I must have left the window open. I’m sorry to admit it but I just laughed, which I know was not very courteous, before I had to explain the state the windows were in and that I would not risk opening the window in case it fell apart, and that the flies or whatever they were, were entering from the hole in the window frame!. These flies were tiny enough to pass through a hole in which I could see daylight pass through.
Our party then went for our evening meal…
I ordered a seafood Vol-au-vent to start with, which, to be fair was palatable, just…but tasteless.
I opted for the chef’s special for my main course, believing that as if was the chef’s well used and accepted dish…How wrong I was!
The special was diced chicken with honey and ginger served with boiled rice…The chicken dish contained 4 small julienne sized strips of chicken approx 1½” long, and some bland sauce, which had evaded the ginger completely.. it resembled a microwave ready meal but was only half the size of a weight watchers portion!
Oh I forgot it also had a small piece of baby sweetcorn in it!
The rest of the food we encountered there we have tried to block from my memory as it was so poor…rubber over cooked chicken, Scampi which looked like it had been cooked 3 times, I’ll not disturb you further will the standard of the food served. It will suffice to say that, never in my lifetime will I return to dine there.
Following our evening meal we had a walk in the sea air and watched the sun go down over a beautiful, picturesque corner of the UK, then returned to the Hotel bar for a couple of drinks. We had no sooner sat down and got comfortable with our 1st drink, when the barman came to ask if we would like anymore to drink, as he is closing the bar…it was only 9.20pm. He did inform us that there was another bar open in the Ballroom at the far end of the hotel where there was an artist singing and a disco. We were hoping to have a drink and talk to old friends we have not seen for sometime. However we went into the Ballroom after finishing our drinks in the bar, the chairs in the ballroom were shabby and very tired, some with the upholstery torn and some smelling of urine.
After finding some acceptable chairs and a drink, to be told that the bar in there closes at 10:30pm…so our nice evening catching up and having a nice quiet drink had slipped away before it had begun.

I do hope Shearings, The Bay Hotels Customer Service HQ and the Enviromental Health Dept read this site. I know I did't before this trip, but you can be sure that I will do in future before I book anything.

An experience I hope I never have to relive !

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank KPJow

I am sorry to see you were obviously disappointed during your break with us and that we struggled to meet the expectations of your group. I have inspected the room since your departure and I must admit I was worried as to what I might find. I have addressed some of the issues raised. Room 302 was fully refurbished in 2010 and the bedroom decor and furnishings are in a good state of repair. I take on board your comments regarding the bathroom and will have many of these actioned immediately. With a group booking such as yours, it can be difficult to meet everyone’s requirements and it would appear your group experienced varying levels of our standard rooms from recently refurbished to due for refurbishment. Regarding your comments about room 321 I accept that there is a small crack in the window, we are awaiting a quote to get it replaced and I trust that your friends were more comfortable in the upgraded sea view room we provided for the duration of their stay free of charge. As you will see in another response, the unexpected issue with the shower in room 342 was discussed with the guests on arrival and was the only solution available to us at the time as the hotel was completely full. I have spoken to both our restaurant and chef teams regarding your comments on the food and these will be fully investigated. The team work hard to offer quality food with value for money. Regarding your comments about the bar hours, both my bars manager and duty manager assure me that the lounge bar was open until 11pm over the weekend and the ballroom bar remained operational until 11.45pm, with the public lounges remaining open should anyone wish to sit and enjoy a quiet drink while taking in the beautiful sea views. Whilst I accept that the ballroom is due for refurbishment, which is planned for early next year, the area is kept clean and I cannot find any trace of the problems you describe.
Once again, I am sorry that the hotel did not meet you expectations.

Reviewed 16 September 2012

We have just returned from room 321 in this hotel & it was a disgrace.Almost always cold with condensation running down the window , the frame of which was rotten.The attempt to hide the holes in the frame was worse than amateurish & futile since it stopped neither the rain nor the draught. Bedroom furniture was damaged and unsightly as was the bathroom panel which was stuck together with sticky tape. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else had to endure this & the feeble excuses offered by reception to excuse it, if only to see just how long their " refurbishment " has been going & for how long "they have been having problems with the heating." Even if their "excuses " were genuine then surely this room should not have been offered to guests in the first place.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Raphael L
vickiglen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

I apologise for the obvious disappointment you encountered during your stay. Room 321 is one of our standard bedrooms. The heating in the rooms is centrally controlled by sensors throughout the building. If you felt the room to be cold then additional heating could have been provided. There is certainly not a problem with the heating in the hotel and it is very unusual for us to receive comments on this subject. We are in the process of having a number of rooms refurbished in the hotel but in a building the size of the Royal this is very much an ongoing project with improvements being made all the time. The furniture in the room whilst older is not damaged.
Again, I am sorry you were disappointed during your stay and hope this will not deter you from staying in a Bay hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 15 September 2012

Normally we use the internet and tripadvisor to research our choice of hotel but this time we were on our way down from Northumberland and had limited access to a computer. Because I have loved Whitby from being a child and not having been there for some years the lovely photo of the Bay Hotel looked like just the spot for our last two nights in Yorkshire. I could reiterate and empathise with some of the comments I have now read on this website - such as dusty corners in rooms, a lift that is supposed to serve the whole hotel but only takes 4 people without luggage and 2 people with - but my main complaint was with the food. I did not expect 'haute cuisine' but our country produces good food which, properly cooked, is excellent. I have expressed my dissatisfaction to Shearings, the owners of the hotel, and have been given the usual soft soap response that doesn't say anything but having vented my annoyance I was really irritated to be told that the subject of food and its quantity is 'subjective'. Maybe so but I think most people would find the four thin strips of iceberg lettuce, two almost transparent slices of cucumber and a quarter of a tomato did not warrant the description of 'salad'. The quality of Whitby scampi is well known, so I am surprised that the local Chamber of Commerce do not require the Bay to remove scampi from their menu because the half dozen overcooked - dare I say two or three times cooked - toothbreaking balls of scampi that accompanied the salad were an affront. Add to this soft leathery heated up unpeeled 'new' potatoes, overcooked beans and, what we finally decided had once been red cabbage to the dish and you can have no doubt that our decision to eat elsewhere on our second night was the best decision we made. AND how is it that a breakfast dish described as a Whitby kipper - so looked forward to - came out of a boil in the bag pack or I'm a monkey's uncle! Stay at the Bay by all means - it is very cheap and the staff we dealt with were under pressure all the time and remained very polite and kind to us - but for heaven's sake never, never eat there! The one thing we could not fault was the location, but Shearings couldn't do anything to spoil that could they?

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PRobho

I was disappointed to receive your review. We have recently re-vamped our menus and have received good feedback in general. It is clear to see however that this was not the case in your experience. Our menu’s are structured to offer something for everyone’s tastes whilst offering value for money. None of our menus state that any of our food is local as this can change throughout the year depending on availability. I’m unsure as to the comments on the scampi as we don’t offer Scampi on any of our evening meal menus and the salad you have described would have simply been a garnish.
I appreciate your comments regarding the staff, we have a great team here at the Royal.

Reviewed 12 September 2012

we stayed in the royal hotel during the 1st week of sept...the staff were warm and friendly..the rooms clean..the meals enjoyable...but the real joy of the royal is it stunning veiws over the harbour..sea and of the whitby church and abbey...a wonderful base to explore a lovely town :)

Room Tip: front rooms with a veiw...:)
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lindy a

Lovely to receive your review. I’m pleased to see you enjoyed your stay here with us. I will pass your comments on to all the staff. As mentioned so many times on here, the hotel is in a fantastic spot enjoying some of the best views the town has to offer.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal soon.