“Bay Royal Hotel - Whitby” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bay Royal Whitby Hotel

Bay Royal Whitby Hotel
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
“Bay Royal Hotel - Whitby”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

Once again I had the pleasure of staying in this hotel from 1st October to 5th October 2012.

You know I get sick and tired of people putting things like "My TV was small" or "The food was terrible". My advice to you is why do you bother going away, you don't go on holiday to watch TV all day, if you want to watch TV stay at home and stop moaning. Simple!

Anyway back to the Hotel! Me and my Mum stayed in this hotel in February and we enjoyed it so much we decided to come back and we are so glad we did. The food is outstanding, the staff are very friendly and the rooms are very clean.

We were so pleased to see Regina has been promoted to Hotel supervisor and she recognised me and my mum from February! A lovely lady who works very hard and I wish her nothing but the best. Our main waitress Tatiana was very friendly and worked extremely hard to make sure our meals came to us on time. Although Inma didn't serve us I was very pleased to see her interacting with the people and people that knew her before were very pleased to see her, this made the atmosphere very pleasant indeed, people seemed relaxed. Apologies if I've missed any of the waiter's/waitressed out, but let me say this they all deserve credit as they all work very hard indeed.

The receptionist's are very smart and really friendly.

Bev, one of the lady's that cleaned my room and my mum's room was a really nice lady and it was a pleasure talking to her and we had a great laugh. Bev and Maria who cleaned our room's work very hard indeed. You know when I go on holiday I'm not interested in big fancy wall lights and state of the art bathrooms, I just want a clean bed and clean bathroom and that's exactly what I got, so my thanks to Bev and Maria!

The location is excellent. We went with Shearings and we went on the North Yorkshire Moor's Railway on Tuesday. I have never been so happier in my life! The whole trip was just great. Getting on from Grosmont station, we headed to Pickering on the train. From there we went to Helsmley which is a nice quiet village.

Thursday, me and my mum travelled to Scarborough on the bus (bus no 93). It took us 1 hour but it was worth it, plus being a big fan of ITV's The Royal I got to see where it was filmed! (Holbeck Road). Scarborough also has a superb shopping centre.

Friday, we went to Goathland. Again being a big fan of Heartbeat I was thrilled to be back and the fella in one of the shops recogised me from February! The shops in Goathland provide a wonderful display of Heartbeat items such as calendar's and books. Go into Bernie Scripp's Garage as there is loads of stuff in there to see.

The driver Ian from Shearings was just a great fella. He only been with Shearings for 7 weeks but he drove well, had a great sense of humour and seemed to be enjoying himself chatting and laughing to the passenger's. We also had Mike another driver who lives in Whitby and he had great knowledge of the area and was very friendly. Geoff who took us to Warrington and brought us back is a born comedian! Seriously I nearly choked a few times as the man was just damn right funny!

I didn't want to leave Whitby as the week went too fast and I enjoyed every minute of it.

I want to thank Vicky, the manager of the hotel for keeping the hotel in top condition and I cannot wait to return in about 6 months time.

Kind Regards - John

Room Tip: Try and pick a sea view room as these are just great. Waking up and seeing the bay is a pleasant exp...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank JohnD1986
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, 12 October 2012
John, it was a delight to receive your fantastic review. It was lovely to see you and your mum back and to see that once again you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and were particularly pleased with your rooms and the food. As you so rightly say the team throughout the hotel are a fantastic bunch of people and Regina is doing very well in her new role as Restaurant Supervisor. It's great to see Bev and Maria being mentioned as the housekeeping team so often get overlooked as they are not seen as much and Tatiana receiving praise as she's only been with us a few weeks. Everyone will be delighted to see your comments. Time and time again our location is mentioned on here not only for the stunning views we enjoy but also the accessibility of the surrounding areas. Ian is not a regular driver here at the Royal but I'm sure if he has a look on here he'd also be delighted by your comments regarding his tours.
Once again it was a pleasure to receive your review and we look forward to seeing you "in about 6 months time".
Vicki and the team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

Having returned to this hotel after staying here the same time last year we were pleased to have found standards were still high apart from one area.
Having chosen sea-view rooms (311 a single and 312 a double) we were once again very happy with both the rooms and the views.The only dfference was our rooms this year had only a shower and no bath but for our party this was fine but if you really like a bath it may be worth saying so when you book.
The dining room was comfortable and food was delicious and always hot and well presented but here is where things have slipped a bit.Sevice at dinner was very slow even though the staff which were first rate worked really hard they just had too many guests to serve.Choice at dinner was good and excellent at breakfast.
All the staff once again were excellent and very friendly.The staff here really are an asset and a couple more serving at dinner would really have helped.

Room Tip: The windows in the second floor sea view rooms are much better than the third floor sea view rooms s...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank FrankandHedley
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to review your most recent stay with us. I’m pleased to see that in general you found our standards continue to be high. As you have mentioned, I would always advise guests to mention on booking any special requirements they may have for example bath or shower etc. thank you for your comments regarding the food, I will be sure to pass them onto the chefs, feedback like this is always well received. I’m sorry to see however, that you found service in the restaurant to be slightly slower than expected. The waiting staff do work very hard and I will pass this onto our Restaurant Manager to investigate. I couldn’t agree more with your comments regarding the staff, I have a great team here who definitely add to the overall experience.
We hope to welcome you back to the Royal soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012 via mobile

meals ok , good evening entertainment with Joel on ,on a Tuesday (worth seeing) lift a bit small , two people and one case? whiitby full of interest , would come back to the royal hotel again . train or bus to heartbeat country , (worth the visit ) also a visit to the royal (hospital ) in Scarborough . good idea to climb the 199 steps to Whitby abbey (if you are fit ) enjoy Whitby !

• Stayed August 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your comments. I’m pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. Joel is a fantastic vocalist and is always well received. As you say Whitby is a fantastic base to see the surrounding areas with lots to see and do. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

Had a lovely time at the Royal. The food was excellent and staff very friendly. Think it could do with being refurbished as our room was big but there was an old-fashioned TV, bedding old looking and there was a 'damp horrible smell'. The view was great from our room. The lift was very small and temperamental, most times had to use stairs. With a refurbishment this Hotel would be great.

Room Tip: Book a Premier or Superior room. We tried to change to one when we arrived but they were all fully...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for posting your review. It is always great to hear when people have enjoyed their stay. I’m pleased to see the food was to your liking and I will pass your comments to the team. We are continually working on areas of the hotel and our refurbishment programme is very much an ongoing commitment. We are due to have a number of rooms done next month with a plan in place for further works next year. Myself and my housekeeping team will certainly look into your comments. I appreciate your comments regarding the lift but unfortunately this is usually caused by other guests continually pressing the call button on other floors. We hope to welcome you back to the Royal again in the not too distant future.
kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

An enjoyable coach tour with a lovely lot of people. a very long journey . Coach driver Mike made it comfortable and enjoyable. The hotel has been updated and we had a sea view premier room kept clean and tidy by the lovely Jacquie. Staff were all lovely and helpful . entertainment we thought was a little disappointing except one night when a brilliant young comic cam in

Room Tip: Always have a seaview room. cost more but at whitby you need to see the sea
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank travellinggirlsKent
vickiglen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments. I’m pleased to see you rated us higher on this visit than your previous one in 2009. As you’ve mentioned, we are continually making improvements throughout the building and it is nice to see this noticed. The premier rooms are lovely and as you say the views are stunning. I’ll pass your comments on to Jacquie, she will be delighted. Our entertainment is planned to for something for everyone’s tastes and I’m glad you enjoyed Joey – he always goes down well.
We hope to see you again in the not too distant future.
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

we stayed here for 3 nights over august 2012 bank holiday and thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel is in an excellent location. We paid extra for a sea view room and I would recommend doing this - the views were excellent, large room, clean and comfortable. Food was good, service excellent. Food potions can be on the small size but no real complaints there. Overall with shearings hotels (and we have now stayed at many over the past few years), you get clean, comfortable at a reasonable price, in excellent locations. The clientele can be fairly old (we are in our 40s and often feel young in comparison to other guests). However, if you dont let this bother you, and pay a little extra for a room with a view you shouldnt have a problem. I'm not sure what some reviewers expect for the price they are paying - if I pay 5 star prices I expect 5 star. If I pay 2 or 3 star prices then you cannot go far wrong with shearings bay hotels.

Room Tip: premier sea view room - excellent view
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank courtney j
I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. As mentioned so many times on this site, we are in a fantastic spot and the views from our sea view bedrooms really are second to none. I’m pleased to see you enjoyed your meals and will be sure to pass your comments onto the team. As a group we strive to offer clean, comfortable accommodation, good food whilst still offering value for money and I’m pleased to see that was the case in your experience. Due to the fact we cater for a high number of self drive guests, we find we have quite a mixed group of guests. Again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your views and we hope to welcome you back to the Royal soon.
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

my wife and i traveld by coach from eastbourne to this hotel in april for a 5day break wich we must say was very good for what we paid also two trips were included pluss food and service was top class

Room Tip: stay in front 2nd floor looks over the sea
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank peterwaleseastbourne
vickiglen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Thank you for your review. I’m pleased to see you had a good holiday here with us and found the standard of service and food to be top class. We hope to see you again.