“Just love the place”

Bay Royal Whitby Hotel
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Me and my mum travelled to the Royal hotel in February 2012 and October 2012 and guess what? We stayed again last week! (March 2013).

We travelled with Shearings and our driver was Stuart. Stuart was our driver in February 2012 aswell so seeing him again was great. He's a great fella who has a great sense of humour and is really down to earth. Stuart thank you mate, you are a credit to Shearings.

We arrived on Monday the 11th March and Louise introduced herself to us on the coach. We then went to reception and we were warmly welcomed by Becky the receptionist who is a really friendly girl who obviously takes pride in her job. Wanda is also a lovely lady and all of them work very hard indeed.

Our rooms weren't ready till 3pm which wasn't a problem for us, so we had a cup of tea and had a wonder around Whitby. It's just great to be back at such a great place. I had room 235 and my mum had room 237 which overlooked the sea. I've stated before that all I want is a clean bed and clean bathroom and with the Royal the rooms are spotless, very clean and tidy. It's obvious the staff who clean the rooms work hard and take pride in their duties. Nelly looked after our rooms so a big thank you to Nelly! Some rooms have had new carpets, beds, furniture and have been completely decorated. I had a peak at one of them (I think it was room 123) and all I can say is wow!

As for the food, one word can easily describe it - outstanding. Seriously the food is delicious from breakfast to evening meal. Our waiter was Rajmund and was a great man to talk to always very friendly. But I must say ALL the waiting staff deserve praise as they always are very busy and they work so hard to make sure everyone is fed to a high standard. The bar staff work incredibly hard aswell. Ferench (I hope I've spelt his name right!), Lindsay and the other chap (sorry I don't know his name) make sure the bar works smoothly and professionally, my sincere thanks to the 3 of them.

As we travelled with Shearings our excursions were Thornton Le Dale, Pickering, Helmsley and Scarborough. The Thursday morning excursion was to the Esk Valley which was £8 each but this was value for money. One of the drivers Mark was very informative and clearly knew his way around. Ian, what can I say about Ian? Ian was our driver in October 2012 and me and my mum had a great laugh with him talking about the trip we done in october. All 3 drivers on this trip are a credit to Shearings and we have nothing but praise for all 3 of them.

My advice to anyone wanting to stay the Royal hotel, just do it, you won't be disappointed. And any "professional moaners" reviews on here, don't read them, just skip them as they are not worth reading. Trust me I've stayed here 3 times I know what I'm talking about.

You have a great team of hard working friendly staff their at the Royal, Vicky and it was a pleasure talking to you about this in the week. I cannot wait to return to the hotel in September to do the North Yorkshire Moors Railway which we done last year. That's how much we love Whitby and the surrounding area.

Thank you once again to Vicky and all the staff for all their hard work.

Kindest Regards
John and Lynne

Room Tip: All rooms are of a high standard. Front rooms over look the sea and harbour. Back rooms over look th...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Wow John, what can I say! Thank you for your outstanding review, if it wasn't clear from the title that you love Whitby then your comments certainly proved it. It was great to see you and your mum last week and even better to see you thoroughly enjoyed your stay once again. As you say I’m very lucky to have a fantastic team here. I will pass your comments onto all the team who will be delighted and we will all look forward to seeing you in September if not before.
See you both soon
Vicki Glen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,112)

Reviewed 17 March 2013

overall the holiday was great, apart from the constant fog or sea fret as they call it up there. The hotel is very big, it is clean and tidy but could do with a lick of paint.Our room was on the ground floor which was good for us, it was comfy and clean, but there was rust on the pipes in the bathroom and two holes in the wall covered with masking tape. The food was not too bad, the breakfast was probably the best meal. There was a comfy lounge bar which we relaxed in, making use of the 4 free drinks vouchers each that we were given. I have seen comments on here about drink prices being dear, but coming from london i did not think they were that bad. There was evening entertainment every night, the best being the comedian on the last night he was very good. The staff were lovely and very helpful.

Room Tip: There is only one small lift in the hotel so if you have walking issues try to book a ground floor r...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share review. I’m pleased to see you enjoyed your stay despite the adverse weather. The ground floor rooms are in very high demand and I’m delighted you found it comfortable. Thank you for bringing those points to my attention, I will ensure these are actioned immediately. We appreciate that there are varying drinks prices out there, but as a hotel we find ourselves to be competitive with many others locally and certainly with those in large cities – what better way to make use of the drinks vouchers than enjoying the stunning views from one of our lounges. Joey continues to be a very popular act on a Thursday evening. I will be sure to pass your comments onto the team and we hope to welcome you back to the Royal soon.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

We took a group of people with learning disabilities to the Royal Hotel for a 70s weekend. The hotel was well situated, with fantastic views of the sea and the town, and rooms were very clean and comfortable. The food was very good, and the staff in the restaurant were extremely friendly and helpful, as were the reception staff. The evening entertainment was top quality, and we all had a great time.
On the downside, however, the bathrooms were in need of refurbishment, and it was a little chilly in the bedrooms during the night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front - the rooms have big windows so you get fantastic views.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Flyingisfun
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to post your review. It’s always great to see your group back at the hotel and them enjoying the themed entertainment. It would seem that you all thoroughly enjoyed your stay and we met, if not exceeded your expectations. As I’m sure you will have noticed during your stay we are having a number of bedrooms refurbished at the moment which look great.
We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the Royal

Reviewed 15 March 2013

Ideal for coach tours.
Less suited to a younger couple on a drinking weekend away.
Clean, easy to park, staff lovely.
Shower was a little cool.
Quite a slog up from the town in the snow.
Creaky floorboards everywhere.
Lift a bit small for the amount of rooms and 3 floors.
That said, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for leaving your review. Whilst we do cater for a number of coach parties weekly a large percentage of our business comes from self drive customers. In saying this, I’m pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be helpful and the hotel clean. The Royal is an old building and does have some of the features to go with it, like some creaky floorboards and traditionally small lift, some of which adds to the character of the building. We hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

Stayed at the Royal from Friday 8th March until Monday 11th we went with National
Hoidays. We had a very large room on the 2nd floor with a sea view. The room was very clean
but the water wasn't always hot depending on the time. of day. Anyone with walking difficulties should request a room near to the lift as there is only one. The food was served very quickly by
our very pleasant waiter. We were allocated the same table for the duration of our stay the food was always edible with a good choice, something for everyone.

The bar was quite expensive but the staff were very pleasant and the entertainment was good.
All in all we enjoyed our stay and would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Choose a top floor room so you don't get noise from above.
1  Thank TINKERBELLE
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2013

Many thanks for the 5* review. I’m pleased to see you enjoyed your weekend with us. Our sea view rooms enjoy some of the best views of the town. As you say we do only have one lift in the hotel but a number of rooms are on the level with the lift ensuring we can usually meet our guests requirements. I will pass your comments onto all the staff.
We hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

had a 3 night break at the royal with a sea view upgrade.the hotel is a prime position to explore whitby if you hav'nt been here before,our room was a good size but basic the bathroom was large but lacking anywhere to put your toiletries except the windowsill ,hot water was at a premium at certain times of the afternoon,the big problem was the windy weather on our weekend that made the rotten window frames rattle all night,the window frame had masking tape all round the edge making it impossible to open,on the second night the wind blew some tape loose and the wind howled through [plenty of photos in the reviews showing this]
food in the restuarant was nothing special but was always hot,and the waiters where fantastic always dashing about and making sure the guest got excellant service
barstaff also doing a good job like restuarant staff happy and smiling
most likely would go back here but would upgrade to a premier room

Room Tip: don't go on the third floor and upgrade
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I’m pleased to see you would consider staying with us again. We have a number of recently refurbished rooms as well as our superior and premier rooms which are very popular. Unfortunately due to the location of the building when the weather is less than kind to us, the front of the building does get a bit of a battering. I’ll pass your comments onto the restaurant and bar staff, they will be delighted.
We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

Having read some of the previous reviews of the Royal we weren't holding out high hopes for our 4 night Shearing's stay. Pleased to say that we found nothing wrong. We requested and were allocated a room on the top floor. Our room had obviously been refurbished and the decor and fittings were fine. Hot showers were at a premium at peak times but no worse than other hotels we have stayed at. We overlooked the car park and the kitchen ceiling extractor fan but it was only used when the kitchen was open and didn't cause us any problems although I'm sure other TA reviewers would have a field day with that! Yes the floors creak and the lift (not used by us) isn't adequate for the number of bedrooms but The Royal is a grade 2 listed building and any work has to go through English Heritage.
Mention has been made of the food. We found the breakfast was very good with a selection of options from "full English" (horrible expression!) to kippers (fish English?). The evening meal was adequate. It has to remembered that the Royal is catering for a lot of people so no finesse can be expected in the standard of food. Having said that the soups were very good and the mains served their purpose with a selection of 5 options to choose every night.
All the staff were uniformly friendly and efficient despite being rushed off their feet most of the time.
Can't comment on the evening entertainment as at 59 I'm still a little young for bingo and ballroom dancing!
Overall a pleasant stay at the Grande Dame of Whitby in a perfect location for views and exploring the local area.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate that people can have varying expectations and reviews like yours are a pleasure to receive. The Royal is indeed an old building with some of the characteristics (as you mention) to match but we are fully committed to the continual refurbishment of bedrooms and have in fact completed a further 8 this morning. I’ll be sure to pass your comments regarding the staff on, we’re very lucky to have a fantastic team working here. It’s a pity you didn’t partake in the evening entertainment as although we do bingo and dancing every night, we also have a variety of visiting cabarets performing weekly.
Again, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back to the Royal soon.