“looking forward to next visit .” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bay Royal Whitby Hotel

Bay Royal Whitby Hotel
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
“looking forward to next visit .”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

Can't wait till I come back in August for the regatta . Great hotel , and good value for money . Rooms nice and clean , lovely restaurant and the royal bar has good view of the abbey and harbor . Lovely wee fishing town with plenty attractions . Worth seeing. , Whitby regatta and folk festival .

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank davieham
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Many thanks for your glowing review. Comments like yours are always well received. I will pass them onto all the team and we look forward to seeing you in August.
Vicki Glen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the Bay Royal hotel 4 times in 15 months.

I usually travel with Shearings and my mum comes along. However I love the place and I decided to return there on my own via train from Liverpool Lime Street.

The single rooms are of a high standard but when I phoned up to book it they had none left so I decided to book a superior sea view room. Just great in every way, very clean, comfortable bed, great views and plenty of hot water.

The food is outstanding and the staff are very hard working and pleasant.

The weekend went too quick for me and I hated leaving the place.

My thanks to receptionists Louise, Jamie and Wanda for making me feel welcome.

My thanks to all the staff, ill see you soon.

Kind Regards - John

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank JohnD1986
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Hi John, I’m sorry I missed you last week. It’s great to see you enjoyed your stay once again. Our sea view rooms are certainly worth the extra cost. I’ll pass all your comments on to the team and we all look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Vicki and the team.
milton keynes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

We stayed here with our friends on a Shearings midweek trip. We had refurbished rooms which were better than expected. Nice comfortable beds and plenty of tea coffee and bottled water in the room. Nice food in the restaurant and good breakfasts. We spent every night in the entertainment lounge and always had a good night. Very good hard working staff especially in the restaurant The hotel is in a lovely position overlooking the sea and the bus stops right outside. Whitby is a lovely place to visit and we will go back and will probably stay at the Royal. Only complaint is the lift which as very small and only just fits 4 people at a time so spent a lot of time waiting for it.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I’m pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and that your rooms exceeded your expectations. I will pass your comments regarding the food and entertainment on to all concerned. I am very lucky to have a great team here at the hotel. We are in a fantastic location making it an ideal base to take in all the town has to offer.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

in243. Friday 17 may 2013 till Sunday. A good clean hotel , staff helpfull, food good. The sea view first class. The room was clean and comfortable the decor dated .stayed for a weekend break.been going to whitby for over 40year,first time at the Royle but not the Last. My wife and i found the price not expensive and good value for the money. Stephen and Margare Honeyman.

Room Tip: Smile when you enter the Hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I appreciate you sharing your review. I’m glad to see you enjoyed your stay and that we ticked all the boxes with regards to the food and comfort in the hotel. We aim to offer value for money breaks and I’m pleased to see that was the case in your experience.
We hope to welcome you back to the Royal soon.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

33 members of our walking group stayed at the Royal Hotel from 29 April to 3 May and had a very good stay. The location was perfect for us. Our rooms were on various floors throughout, some of the rooms had just been renovated whilst others were still waiting for the upgrades but on the whole people were very satisfied considering the price we paid for the whole package. Yes, windows could be cleaner but on the higher floors this is a common problem with sea front hotels and not an issue that detracts from our good stay.Reception staff were pleasant and efficient and dealt with any queries promptly. We were located in the top end part of the restaurant and were excellently served by Pavel and Joan who were so enthusiastic and efficient. We thought the choice of meals each day was very good and the food was always served hot. Our thanks went also to Marion the restaurant mangaer for helping us celebrate the 60th birthday of one of our members on the first night. The help given was much appreciated.The use of the public rooms in the evening was a bonus and allowed the group to socialise more than when we have used B&B's in the past and entertainment was available in the form of quizzes, bingo, pool and snooker tables if members required them. Otherwise, you could just sit and chat whilst having a nice drink. All in all we were very satisfied and would have no hesitation in returning to the Royal again.

Room Tip: Our third floor sea view room overlooked the harbour and caught the morning sun, whilst others on th...
2 Thank deepingwalkers
Thank you for your lovely review. I’m pleased to see that you and your party enjoyed your stay. We’re very popular with walking groups s our location makes a great base for exploring the local areas. Our reception girls work very hard both prior to and on arrival to ensure all requests are met and will often go out of their way to ensure everyone is happy. I will pass your comments on to our chefs and Marion with regards to the food and service and of course Pawel and Joan who will be delighted.
Again, I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome your party back to the Royal in the not too distant future.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

We recently stayed at the Royal for a weekend break. We had a lovely room overlooking the harbour and I must say, although a sea view room is a little expensive, it's worth it by far in this particular hotel, Amazing views.

The room itself was clean and comfortable although my bed was a little lumpy.The decor and bedding was pretty newish. The bathroom was clean and quite acceptable. We had a second floor room.

Ok, some of the hotel is tired and in need of decoration but as long as a place is clean, we can look past all that.

The public area was airy and comfortable to have your tea or coffee after your meal or just have a drink from the bar which i think is a great idea. There is a television in there too if you want to watch that.

The restaurant was very busy but our waitress who's name escapes me at the moment looked after us really well. She attended tables around 1 to 8. Very efficient, pleasant young lady who carried out her duties very well.

The food was tasty, a good variety and cooked well. There is always a good choice to select from. I use to enjoy breakfasts more than anything, a good breakfast sets you up for the day I always think. The evening meals were something to look forward to also. It's a good idea to have the menu in reception each day, it gives you and idea what you can eat that evening. Most of the Shearing hotels do this though.
The hotel was in a wonderful spot on the West Cliff to take in the amazing sea and harbour view. The veranda of the hotel was also lovely to sit, have a drink and watch the world go by. The only negative about that is, there was drink and cigarettes thrown or spilt on the floor and sad to say, the area is not cleaned on a regular basis. It didn't look at all nice and if I was looking for somewhere to have a drink as a non guest, I doubt if I would go into the bar for that reason, it brought the hotel down. It is annoying as ashtrays were provided by the hotel but just wasn't cleaned often enough.
The entertainment room has just been refurbished and was very nice and comfy. Can't comment on the entertainment as we didn't stay, we prefered to sit and chat in the other bar area but I do know they had a couple of artitsts and bingo too.

WE had a couple of nice trips out on the coach to Pickering and Scarborough as well as a few other little villages. It would help if the drivers gave each customer a list of the trips when they arrive on the coach, they could put departure times etc. Also, any extra trips to be paid for can be mentioned with costs. We had this in Eastbourne, done by our driver and it was an excellent idea and appreciated by guests.

The driver we had was Rod, not the usual driver, he was just helping out but he was a very nice chap who looked after us well.

There is a Whitby tour bus that goes around the resort and it stops right outside the hotel. I think it's every half hour or so and I believe it costs around £4. We also noticed a coach type steam engine that comes that way too. Not sure how often though. There is another bus you can get at the bus station by the railway station, if I remember right, it only runs monday to saturday, that drops you off just around the corner.

There is a winding path down to the harbour area starting at the hotel if you feel energetic. You can also walk down the steps too depending on your mobility. This also leads to the beach. Easier to get down than it is to get up!

There are lots and lots of benches to sit on overlooking the sea and the harbour which is lovely on a nice day to take in the scenery or just watch the world go by.

All in all, a great weekend at the hotel and we found value for money and the staff friendly.
I would go back again no problem.

Room Tip: Sea/harbour view is a must.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank flowerbasket
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to leave your 5* review. I’m pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and took full advantage of all Whitby has to offer. I’m sure other travellers will enjoy reading your review and may pick up some tips of what to do whilst in the area. It’s great to see that the hotel ticked all the boxes during your short break from the comfortable bedroom through to the enjoyable meals. It’s always lovely to receive reviews like yours and I will be sure to pass your comments onto all the team.
Again, thank you for your kind words and we hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

As part of a group of friends, we have been coming to this hotel for the last 14 years, there used to be 10 couples at the start but now its down to about 5 or 6, probably because Shearings don't listen or take heed of the comments sheet left by departing guests. Two good points of note are that they have refurbished the entertainment lounge, not before time, and Marion who manages the restaurant deserves praise for her tireless work during meal times, it's a shame that the quality of the food doesn't match Marion's hard work. I like my food very hot, the meals served I would hazard a guess, are plated up and kept in a hot box, that doesn't work very well especially when you are looking forward to a good cooked breakfast, and I never got a Good cooked breakfast, on the last day, not only was it luke warm, the sausage was undercooked in the middle. As for our room, well if you want a nice hot shower, don't accept room 118, if anybody else seems to be using the hot water, then this room doesn't seem to get any, unless you want to use it long before all other guests are getting ready, when I invited someone from reception to test it, he acknowledged that there did seem to be a "Demand" problem with the boiler, but that's no good for guest's wanting to wash etc at an appropriate time before meals. When are Shearing's going to have the outside of the bedroom windows cleaned, and the paintwork repaired, room 118's windows were filthy. Anyway, better stop now for I could go on and on, we will still use this hotel because we know exactly what to expect, providing they don't start putting up their prices, it's bordering on only just acceptable for what you get now, thank god for the snooker table, but it could be much, much better if they weren't so obsessed with PROFIT, the bar prices are just sheer GREED, one large house wine and a pint cost one of our group well over £8, how greedy is that, a lot of the guest's here are older people and pensioners, no wonder that hardly anybody goes into the entertainment lounge on an evening.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to share your review and we are sorry to see you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay. I’m pleased to see you mentioned the refurbishment of the ballroom which I agree was overdue and as well as this we have completed a number of bedrooms. Marion is a gem in the restaurant and deserves every bit of praise she gets. I’m sorry, however that you found the food not as hot as you would like. We carry out temp checks both prior and throughout service and I hope if you brought this to your waiters attention that this was rectified. Our windows are cleaned periodically throughout the year but unfortunately in our location this is an endless battle. With regards to the bar prices, whilst I appreciate it is possible to find cheaper prices we find ourselves to be in line with the majority of our competitors both locally and further afield.
I will address the issues you have highlighted and although you were disappointed on this occasion I’m pleased to see you would stay with us again.