“Better than advised by comments”

Bay Royal Whitby Hotel
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Bay Royal Hotel Whitby
My partner and i stayed at the BRH for 1 week on a sheerings holiday we were pleasently suprised by the hotel ok it wasnt totally flawless but i certainly wasnt a dog house ok it needed a bit of tlc but you cant do all at once in this economic day and age.
Reception
very tidy old but tidy very grand and wellcoming
Bar lounge
Again very tidy with couches and chair type seats nice decor
Resaraunt
Again tidy clean a nice place to eat only fault was the tables were too small we had to be moved because we couldnt fit four of us around the table. Apart from that nice restaraunt
Food in restaraunt was all home made and a delight to eat soup especially it looked like a small portion but gee it filled you up. I would like to use this oppertunity to pass my gratefull thanks to our waitress Maria a very nice Spanish lady worked her socks off and allways with a smile and good manners she is a great asset to BRH
Rooms
Our room was of a good standard very clean and very cosy ok not a sea view but we didntm spend as lot of time in room to appreciate a see view. Bathroom and shower again very clean one and only gripe was a bit of lazyness in a bath panel being taped together to hide a crack.
Bay Royal Hotel is a million miles away from being the ritz but it certainly is NOT A DUMP
i would go there again but next time take more money with beer being £3.40 a pint and lager £3.60 a pint and an extra 50p for a splash of lime for the lager all in all if i were asked to mark out of 10 i would give it a 7.5.
Entertainment was of a good standard catered for all ages mainly older age.
I would also like to add to those negative comment from others that this hotel is owned by shearings holidays so it is down to them to sort and maintain the hotel or finance the work to be carried out it is not the fault of the hotel manager she does her very best on the budget she has to make the hotel run comfortably and smoothly so those who have been there and have posted negative comments on here would be betteer posting negative comment direct to shearings
Thankyou Bay Royal Hotel you are old but comfy and nice and we WILL stay with you again

1  Thank Gary F
VickiGlen, Assistant Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Gary F
Thank you for your kind comments on the hotel. It is great to see that you found the hotel to be comfortable although old with history behind it. Some of our rooms have been refurbished with others due to be done at the end of this year going through into the New Year. I shall pass your comment onto Maria thank you.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay here at the Royal Hotel and do hope to welcome you back in the future.
Heidi Franklin
Assistant Manager

There are newer reviews for Bay Royal Whitby Hotel

Reviewed 29 September 2013

This hotel is big and old but very clean the staff are lovely young Emma our waitress for the weekend was fab our room was on the back car park view for the price we paid I thought it would be sea view but the room was modern and very clean dinner and breakfast was nice the breakfast plate was small but plenty on it , would stay again if it was a bit cheaper but the hotel was full mostly older people . The bar was nice and the views were fab if u can get a bargain price give it a go Whitby is a beautiful place x

Room Tip: Try get a sea view
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear makem65
Thank you for your review and sharing the beauty of Whitby. The hotels position in Whitby is by far the best having stunning views out from both sides of the hotel. Although your room was back facing this time you can always ask at reception if there are any Sea Views available and upgrade your room for a small charge. Alternatively this can be done at the time of booking. Thank you for your kind comments about Emma, I shall be sure to pass them on. I am pleased you enjoyed your meals and found them to be filling especially breakfast to set you up for the day to explore Whitby. We hope to welcome you back to the Royal Hotel in the near future.
Heidi Franklin
Assistant Manager

Reviewed 26 September 2013

My Mother and me stayed at the Royal Hotel for 1 night on 22/9/2013. We knew before we went it wasn't going to be great from the comments we read on various sites like Trip Advisor, but we stayed here mainly for the view we would get from the Hotel.

The interior downstairs was very nicely decorated but upstairs in the corridors they were clean but I've never seen such thick paint on the doors etc. which obviously have been painted over and over again. I had a brief look at the ballroom and walked through reception area and down 3 steps going down to the ballroom it seems like these steps have collapsed and I would consider dangerous as I nearly fell over.

Our room was average but clean but the windows were disgustingly filthy and rotting (All them coats of paint on the interior corridors could have been used on the windows to make them look a bit better). My bed was O.K. but my Mother said her bed was lumpy and she felt the springs coming through.

The bathroom was clean but very dated, the shower didn't work (Room 234) I couldn't turn the mixer to change from bath to shower it was just stuck rigid probably because it was so old, I phoned reception and asked if I could use another room, the man from reception came upto our room even he couldn't turn the mixer so he gave me keys to the room next door (Room 233) this shower worked but only with scolding hot water pouring out of the shower head and all the cold water pouring out of the bath tap. I managed to have a shower after getting scolded a few times but couldn't turn the cold tap off so left the tap running but I phoned reception to let them know. My Mother had already heard a man in reception the night before saying his shower didn't work so that's 3 showers not working. If anyone stays in Rooms 233 or 234 and the showers are not working you know they've already been reported to the hotel on 23rd September 2013.

The Dining room was nicely decorated but saw a couple being moved by staff as they had water dripping on their table from the ceiling and this dripping water gradually got worse during our breakfast, it didn't effect us personally but I think it looked really bad as who knows where this water was coming from - possibly an upstairs toilet?. The breakfast was good we had no complaints about that and the staff in the dining room were friendly.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 1GreatYarmouth
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

I’m sorry to see you were disappointed with your short break. The hotel has undergone quite extensive refurbishment over the past 12 months with more improvements planned for the winter months including bedrooms and public areas. It is pleasing to see your comments however regarding the food and service in the restaurant.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Must be the worst £99.00 ever spent for one nights stay in any hotel.
The place has the hint of Basil Faulty.
The breakfast plate is it a plate or is it a saucer?? What ever it was the plate only had enough room for a mini sausage, small rasher of bacon, one egg, 15 baked beans in sauce and a hash brown, all served by a Manuel with terrible B/O.
The rooms are so old its a disgrace to charge £99.00, I am glad the real ale in Whitby does the trick.

Room Tip: Book in the Angel Witherspoons £30 cheaper per night and 1-million times better.
4  Thank Martin R

I’m disappointed to see you didn’t find your stay to be value for money. I believe there is a significant size difference between a saucer and the breakfast plates we use with larger portions available on request, in addition to the cereals, fruit, toast etc which are on offer. I do find your comments regarding your waiter very out of character for any of my staff but possibly a less public mention of this would have been kinder.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

I recently stayed at the Royal Hotel in Whitby for a long weekend and the only way to describe it is that there is good and bad at the hotel. The good is very good and as for the bad ...

Firstly, the good points : the public rooms (foyer, restaurant, bar) were beautifully decorated with great period features, the food was lovely with a 3 course dinner at night with good menu choices, even for picky eaters, the waiting staff in the restaurant were very friendly and efficient and the male receptionist was very welcoming and efficient. The bedroom we had was very large with a sea view (in fact I think it was the largest hotel bedroom I’ve ever seen) with great storage and everywhere was very clean. The location of the hotel was great at the top of the West Cliff next to the Whalebones looking over the harbour towards the Abbey.

Sadly, there were a number of bad points : the female receptionist who was working on the computer when we approached the reception desk who did not look up, make eye contact or any recognition that we were there – not even to say that someone would deal with us soon. The private areas (corridors and bedrooms) were very tired with exceedingly poor repairs i.e. newspapers jammed into gaps in windows, radiators missing off the corridor walls, duct tape on carpet joints. An exceedingly small lift (only took 4 people or 2 people with luggage) which was ridiculous considering the size of the hotel and I heard many people complaining about the lift. Although our bedroom was spacious, there was also a very strange list to the floor with one side of the bedroom being much lower than the other. We also had the smallest kettle I’ve ever seen which would only boil if you kept your hand on the switch.

The hotel is an old hotel (at least 200 years old) and this does need to be taken into account and it could be a really lovely hotel if only the same amount of money and care was spent on the private areas that has obviously been spent on the public areas and it is a pity that the bedrooms and corridors let the hotel down as it is a nice hotel, in a fantastic location with lovely food and really friendly and helpful staff.

2  Thank SouthYorkshireVal
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to post your review. It is clear to see you enjoyed some aspects of your stay whilst were left a little disappointed by others. I will pass your comments onto the team who will be delighted with the praise especially the housekeeping and waiting staff and I will look into the issues you highlighted. I hope your experience on this occasion will not deter you from staying with us again in the future and allow us to hit the mark throughout.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

My husband and I had a 4 day break at the Royal. We have stayed there before and things seemed more tired than last year. The hotel is in serious need of refurbishment. We had a room on the 3rd floor at the back (we refuse to pay extra for a sea view). The room was fine, bed comfy, mirrored wardrobe adequate, shower room ok but really needs to be redecorated as did most of the hotel. The weather turned quite cold and the heating was turned on. The food was questionable on a couple of occasions - rubber turkey for one - you could have soled your shoe with it but full marks to our waiter as he would say if there seemed to be a problem with any of the food. The waiting staff are the ones in the firing line initially for complaints and it needs to be pointed out that they do an excellent PR job with guests. The domestic staff too do and excellent job. This time we found that the reception staff seemed a bit indifferent to the guests. Hopefully this can be improved upon. One thing that needs serious attention is the lift - it holds 4 people!! The lift is unavailable when the Shearings driver is delivering luggage to his customers rooms. As the majority of the guests are elderly, this needs to be addressed. We are lucky enough to be able to use the stairs with no problem but many were not. Having said all that, we enjoyed our break and will continue to use Shearings hotels.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

As a returning guest I would have hoped you would have noticed the continual refurbishment taking place in the hotel. I’m sorry you were disappointed with the food which I will investigate fully however it is great to see the staff so highly commented on. Whilst the lift is small it does cope well with demand.
I’m glad to see despite a few niggles that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will chose to stay with us again. Vicki Glen

Reviewed 16 September 2013

A National Coach holiday farce having arrived in Whitby in a coach stuck together with tape and almost as old as The Royal Hotel which sadly did not compensate for the coach or journey we had getting there. We were told rooms were ready on arrival only to be advised we had to wait till 3pm before we could access our room. The Queen was not amused! We booked our holiday early on this year and expected a decent room. However we were allocated a room on the 3rd floor at the back. This was not Buckingham Palace. As was evident with the rotten window which was boarded up obscuring our view of the car park below and buildings behind. Alarmingly a bar stopped us from falling out or opening the window with the hot weather. Instead we had a large industrial fan which resembled an aircraft engine (and sounded like one too) when switched on and it dispersed dust everywhere. We could not leave it on all night because of this and had to melt underneath the thick duvets. The wardrobe door was loose and had also seen better days as had the chipped wash basin and the bath which had a chuck out of it. Bring on dinner (another tale of woe). The chicken soup was obviously out of a packet and had never been near a chicken (lucky escape for the chicken). Main meal comprised of a curled up slice of beef and vegetables which had seen better days. Horse raddish was offered courtesy of a sachet. The dessert comprised of Bread and butter pudding (not very nice) or Cheese and Biscuits ( 3 pieces of cheap pre-packed cheese and 4 crackers) fit for a King or Queen not!!
Coffee never arrived. Gordon Ramsey would have this establishment shut down. The Best was yet to come - The Royal FULL English Breakfast. We braved the porridge which was resembled lumpy grey wallpaper paste (Bridget Jones's mum would have had this stuff removed - lumpy porridge calls). The waiter could not understand why we had not eaten it! (Must have worked previously at Fawlty Towers). Now for the main FULL English which comprised of - a dessert plate consisting of - half a grilled tomato, small rasher of bacon, small poached egg, dessert spoon of baked beans and not forgetting the extra tiny sausage. The toast was also overdone and dry. The Queen and the Corgis would never dine in this establishment and as for the christening or Prince George - definitely not and off with their heads !!! Finally in conclusion we would not recommend staying at this place at all.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here!!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
11  Thank tellemthetruth
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

I’m sorry to see you were clearly disappointed during your short stay with us. We strive to offer good value short breaks and it would seem this was not your experience of the Royal. I have checked the diary and can find no log of your complaints. We would have appreciated the chance to rectify or at least discuss your complaints in person prior to your departure.