“Bay Royal Whitby”

Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Beverley
“Bay Royal Whitby”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I would not recommend this hotel to anybody: Bare wires in room, taped switch on landing, widow sealed up with toilet paper, cracked bath panel. Hole in ceiling, with bucket underneath on the Snooker table. Only one lift, very slow, and had a habit of going up to the second floor then returning to the ground floor before reaching the third floor. Breakfast very small, waitress didn't seem to understand English, when asked not to give me coffee at beginning of breakfast, she brought it anyway. This Hotel had me looking for Basil Fawlty and Manuel!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank irob123
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
I’m sorry to see you were disappointed with your recent stay with us. I will look into your comments with our maintenance team however the taped switch was very much a temporary measure which has now been rectified. The lift, whilst small, in general keeps up very well with demand. We hope you would consider another Bay hotel in the future.
Vicki Glen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
Dorset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

We wanted to be in Whitby on Halloween, our original plans fell though and we just happened across this Shearings Turkey and Tinsel four night break. We anticipated the majority of guests would be somewhat older than our fifty years but we decided to go with an open mind and humour and go with it.

We are not at all sorry and the following review is based upon a fair reflection of the holiday cost.

After reading reviews we decided to upgrade to the best room for the view and when taking into account the base cost this is a very affordable thing to do.

The four Poster bed is novel but impractical to get in or out without avoiding quite uncomfortable edges, I would get a joiner to reduce the lip or get rid off altogether. Once in though it is very large and comfy. The room is large with a fantastic view over Whitby and the Abbey, there was a nice surprise on arrival in our room but will keep it a surprise. The bathroom and bedroom we felt are cleaned to a high standard and they cannot be held accountable for dead fly's in an inaccessible ceiling light fitting.

The food was fair value for what was paid, the portions adequate to the clientele and I would imagine if you wanted to ask for more I dare say you might well get it? If you are a morbidly obese glutton go for an all inclusive buffet in Spain. I think the best rooms get the best seats e.g. next to the window, service was given with warmth and attention.

The upkeep of this grand old lady of a building must be a nightmare due to its listed status but they do a fair job of keeping it looking cared for but they must wish they could replace the wooden windows with double glazing.

We tended to go out for walks and explore at night so did not keep up with the entertainment, we did see a female singer whose repertoire was in keeping with an older clientele and was foot tapping sing a long stuff. The comedian was hilarious and took me back to Sunday lunchtimes in the pubs thirty years ago.

Though not part of the Hotel, the excursions to Durham was enjoyable but sadly Scarborough is so down at heel, how many Gregg's bakers can one main street sustain? Scarborough can do three and still have people queuing. A better excursion would be York for the designer outlet or park and ride into York itself.

Overall it was an enjoyable trip
For those not familiar with older people and coach trips let the petty concerns about 'he's in my seat' and the only odd one plain selfish guest, yes I mean you woman with the Zimmer with wheels who insists on holding everyone up so you can get off when its your turn, wash over you. If you are from the south you will enjoy the Northern warmth and humour of the people.

If you pay 260 quid for four nights bed and dinner with travel for two and still want to moan get a grip! you couldn't get a premier (there are none near anyway) for less than 260 and that with nothing else.

Room Tip: We booked the superior premier, when you start to compare
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank downsouthDorset
I appreciate you taking the time to share your review. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay and found it to be good value for money. Our premier rooms are very popular indeed and some of the best views of the town can be found from these rooms. I will pass all your comments to the team and the drivers. The Durham excursion is new for this season and is proving popular. We hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.
manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Just back from the Royal and have to say they have wonderful staff who are extremely helpful and friendly the food was good and the rooms kept clean. The down side was as is with most bay hotels its a bit tired one room of our party was in a room(133)which needed chocks for the furniture as the floor was very uneven and had quite a damp problem. The other rooms for our party was ok perhaps Bay shouldn't use 133 until its been refurbed. All in all would happily return to this hotel in future especially with the wonderful staff well done Vickie . All in all great value

1 Thank brandonboo
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It’s great to see you and your party enjoyed your stay with us. Although little benefit to yourselves room 133 will be fully refurbished by the end of November along with a number of others – this is very much a rolling project. I will pass all your comments onto the team and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Recently stayed 2 nights at the Royal with my wife and paid £240 for the most horrendous experience. We booked a standard double room on entry it was apparent that the room had not had any refurbishment for decades it was drab, dull and in need of a complete redecoration and refurbishment facilities were basic,kettle,tea coffee and sugar and a travel hairdryer no light over the dressing table mirror, my wife would only walk on the carpet in her slippers!. Now the bathroom,floor covering in need of replacement brown marks all over, the wash basin was too small, when you washed your face if you weren't careful you would bang you head on the toiletries tray the toilet pan was loose and rocked when you sat on it and the heated towel rail had it's wires exposed. Now the shower cubicle, everywhere was covered in what could only be described as mold,this was around all the cubicle frame the tiles and the shower hose DISCUSTING! The food was no better breakfast was served on minute plates and the food was poor quality, the evening meal fared no better barely edible. On the plus side all the staff were polite and friendly. This is a hotel i would recommend you give a wide berth to, out dated dirty and not worth the money.

Room Tip: I would not recommend any rooms hotel is discusting
5 Thank kevan w
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
I’m sorry to see you were disappointed during your stay, although I must say I did find your heading and review rather harsh. We have had a number of rooms refurbished over the past 12 months with a further 24 due to be completed before the end of the year. Our team work very hard to maintain standards and I will raise your comments with our Housekeeper and Chefs. I am pleased however to note your comments regarding the staff. I hope you will consider using a Bay hotel again in the future.
Vicki Glen

Travellers are raving about these Whitby hotels

needham market
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Oh dear if only the bedrooms were in as good a decorative state as the dining and main areas.
I was on a walking holiday with friends on a Shearings holiday .First the plus side, the staff in the dining area were great it was good service with a smile,and the food was not bad for a large hotel.Now the down side our bedrooms which had a sea view were very tired and need a complete update these are rooms in the 130 range mine was 131.I had to report a very dirty blanket that i changed myself no apology from reception then a chipped mug which was dealt with.Surely you cannot have an excuse for lack of basic cleanliness
My big tip is take an upgrade, i certainly would if i returned its not worth the gamble to get a sub standard room.

Room Tip: You must get an up grade
2 Thank crackermean
I appreciate you taking the time to share your review. We have a had a lot of refurbishment done over the past 12 months and whilst it is, unfortunately, no benefit to yourselves the rooms you had during your stay are to be fully refurbished within the next 4 weeks. Our housekeeping team work tirelessly to maintain standards and I’m sorry for the problems you encountered. We hope you would consider allowing us to redeem ourselves in the future.
chippenham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

Have recently returned from a trip with Shearings to this hotel and for what the trip cost we could not complain at all, for a 3 star hotel we were perfectly happy. The room was clean with everything you needed, all I would say is that the shower was not that powerful and it was hard to get an even temperature. The meals were good and the choice and the service by the staff in the restaurant was excellent and quick as well. There was entertainment at night which happily passed the evenings away. The situation of the hotel is excellent with lovely views and near town but also near to a walk along the promenade. We enjoyed our stay there, also helped by the very good weather we had!

1 Thank Carol W
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review, I’m pleased to see you found your stay to be good value for money. I will look into your comments regarding the shower and pass on your praise to the waiting staff they will be delighted. I couldn’t agree more that we are in a fantastic location and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal soon.
Oldham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Just had a 3 night National Coach trip at this hotel. NEVER AGAIN. It is the first time we have had to stuff toilet paper into the window sills to stop the draft.,throughout the stay the availability of the hot water was a joke we found unless we showered before 4.30pm there was no hot water,similarly in a morning unless you showered before 7.40am there was no hot water. The food was better at breakfast than at night,some of the dinners were actually inedible. Yes we and several others complained,in fact they sent the night porter up to look at the shower at 10pm at night.Do not go to this hotel.
We would recommend The Marine restaurant for fish and chips,it is on the Marine drive, good food,good service and good surroundings

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Thegoldengirlsmark3
I’m sorry to see you were disappointed during your stay, as I am sure you will have noticed the north east was hit badly with high winds last weekend and due to our location there really was no reprieve from it. On the whole our hot water system copes very well with the high demand at peak times, so I will look into the room in question. Our menus are planned with a view to offering something for everyone and I’m sorry this was not the case in your experience but I have no log of other complaints that weekend. Again, I am sorry you were disappointed and hope you would consider staying in a Bay Hotel in the future.