“Shearings coach trip to Whitby”

Bay Royal Whitby Hotel
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Tenbury Wells, United Kingdom
“Shearings coach trip to Whitby”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Went with Shearings coach mid week excursion to Whitby and stayed in the Bay Royal Hotel
Great holiday ! Thoughly recommend this holiday. The coach drivers were very friendly and informative.
The hotel staff were exceptional, friendly and helpful.
Condition of the hotel generally is dated and some attention needed to standard of decor in bedrooms but positives outweigh the negatives !!

1 Thank Daveturner12
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your review. I’m pleased to see you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and found it a positive experience. I am very lucky to have a great team here. We hope to welcome you back to the Royal soon.
Vicki Glen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

The Royal Hotel stands serenely high above the mouth of the Esk river. It has superb views. It is run by Shearings and whilst it is in need of a bit of tender loving care nowadays it is still a very good place to stay. It must have been something quite grand years ago and it still retains that feel. It has two bars. One adjacent to the Dining Room and the other in the Function Room which seats about 150. Seaview rooms are the best as they have terrific views. Do not expect 5 star but you will get good service and good value in a lovely part of the world.

Room Tip: Seaview Rooms are best
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. I couldn’t agree more about the location of the hotel, it is fantastic. We believe it is important that whilst refurbishments are required that we do keep to the traditional feel of the building. We hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We arrived, courtesy of National holidays,on a 4 day visit and first impressions were favourable.
A member of the hotel staff came on to the coach to greet us and allocated the rooms and paperwork to the relevant, occupants. This meant that keys were handed out quickly when we entered the hotel, thus avoiding the usual, 'scrum'.
Our party, 3 charming, mature, gentlemen, retired to the bar, until the coast was clear. The atmosphere was warm and pleasant, the sofas comfortable and the service efficient and friendly.
Fortified, we made our way to our rooms. The lift !! Brilliant, just enjoy the experience of the good old days. I loved it.
Bit of a trek to our room but the journey seemed to shorten as the days went by. Big old door key opened big old door to big old room. Great !! 2 windows overlooking the bay, 2 comfortable beds, good storage and a bathroom the size of a ballroom, Hospitality tray, excellent.
Dinner. 3 courses, each with a choice of 3 alternatives. 3 growing boys, replete. Special mention for the cutlery. How nice to see 'proper' knives, forks and spoons. All this, in rather grand surroundings.
Breakfast. Good choice of starters and a multiplicity of choices for mains. As much toast as you wanted plus endless supplies of tea and coffee. Clean plates after every meal.
Entertainment. Variable, but top marks for effort. Pick of the bunch was Dave Perry. Service at
the bar was both polite and efficient.
Overall. Bearing in mind the price we'd paid the hotel provides extraordinary, value and the minor failings should be viewed in perspective. I became rather fond of the rickety, revolving door at the front of the hotel.
Special thanks to Regina and Michael for their unfailing, good humour and service, despite the
need of 2nd helpings of Pork Steak, by Frank.
P.S. Fish and chips provided by Hadley's of Whitby, Wackers of York.
Crabs, Cockles and Mussels by Molly Malones of Scarborough.
Drink provided by The Buck Inn of Whitby and The Newcastle Packet of Scarborough.

Burnsy plus Frank and Billy.

Room Tip: Splash out on a sea view room
1 Thank mikensheila2013
Thank you for sharing your review. It is clear to see that you enjoyed your stay and we ticked the boxes throughout. How lovely to see a pleasant comment regarding our lift. I will pass your comments onto Mike, Regina and Dave – they will be delighted.
We hope to welcome you and your friends back to the Royal soon.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Just back from stay at the Royal and just want to reiterate what Ray S has said.
Good food with plenty of choice served by a friendly waiter (Atila) for whom nothing was to much trouble.
Although bar prices were steep they were served by friendly staff (Frank) in both the bar and
the ballroom.
Great entertainment, special mention for Steve Conroy, talented compare and all round entertainer.
Sea view room 107 great view but the room is very outdated wallpaper falling off, room very cold
day and night and when you look around the hotel at the number of temporary heaters then you can see that the system needs an upgrade.
As for the TV I did not know that televisions this old were still about, flat screen TV's are cheap enough and include Freeview.
Would I stay there again, YES, but I want to see the room first and not an internet picture.
Wi-Fi very limited.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room but ask to see it first.
1 Thank Robert W
Thank you for sharing your review. It is clear to see that you found the team to be professional and friendly, a quality we pride ourselves on. I will pass your comments to all. As mentioned in many other responses, we are very much in the process of refurbishing rooms with 50 completed in 2013. The Wi-fi is advertised as public areas only and does service the majority of the ground floor. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal soon.
Shardlow, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We have just spent a Monday to Friday break at the Bay Royal Hotel. The hotel is in an excellent location overlooking the bay and views to the. Abbey. The town is a short walk away and the North Yorkshire Moor is within a short car journey.

We had a room with a sea view, I think it's worth the little extra for the panorama. On the negative side, the room was in need of refurbishment, carpets were past their bests, the mattresses have seen better days & the tv is out of the ark, it is generally somewhat tired. Additionally, the rooms were very cold, we did complain and was supplied with a fan heater which did the trick, and the Receptionist did say she would boost the Hotel heating, somewhat surprised it took a complaint to get the heating turned up, after all, it is the middle of winter.

We thought the bar prices were somewhat expensive, 2 pints of bitter and 2 white wines with soda cost £16, but I guess it depends on what you are used to paying, I make the comment purely to make anyone reading the review aware of potential costs.

To be fair, the positives far outweigh the negatives. The nightly entertainment was first class, with special mention to Steve Conroy, the resident entertainer, this guy is a class act, a multi instrumentalist, comedian, singer and he evens does the Bingo in between and creates a great rapport with his audience. All staff Are brilliant, I hope they pay them well because they are their greatest asset. Very impressed with the food, choice of 4 meals at dinner and multi choice at breakfast, we all thoroughly enjoyed it. Would we go back again, yes we would especially so if they upgraded the rooms, at the end of the day we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: You can upgrade to a premium room, which I believe have been refurbished. Sea view rooms are worth t...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ray S
I appreciate you taking the time to share your review. The hotel as you say is in a fantastic location enjoying some of the best views of the town. Bedroom refurbishment is a project we are very much in the middle of having completed over 50 rooms within the past 18 months. I’m pleased to see you found more positives than negatives during your stay and I will be sure to pass your comments to all, especially Steve. We hope to welcome you back to the Royal soon.
Ickenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We had a nice sea view room on second floor. Bathroom could do with refurbishment, but otherwise room was comfortable. We had an old small television, but that was ok as we were either out of our room or reading. Food was very good, small plates, but with three courses adequate. Staff very helpful and polite. Entertainment nothing to write home about. The usual bingo and on each night a singer. Lovely place Whitby and we hope to return again sometime.

Room Tip: We had a nice sea view room on second floor, we had to pay extra for this. Don't know what the...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tessy1943
Many thanks for taking the time to share your review. I’m pleased to see you found your accommodation to be comfortable. I will pass your comments regarding the food to our chefs and your other comments to the rest of the team. I couldn’t agree more that Whitby is a lovely town and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Hartlepool
Reviewed 12 February 2014

The hotel is clean and the food is very nice. Our room overlooked Whitby bay and it was a fantastic view. The staff were friendly and helpful as I was recovering from surgery and on walking sticks. We enjoyed the entertainment. I was disgusted with Shearings staff on the phone before we went and found them to have no sympathy that the wrong hotel had been put on the confirmation, when I explained that a member of my family had just died, so I hadn't been able to check, and I was very upset, I was told that there would be a charge for this and we were charged. Even though I don't think I would book a hotel again with Shearings I cant fault the hotel and staff.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I’m pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us and couldn’t find fault with the team here at the hotel. I will pass on your comments regarding the problems you encountered before your arrival here. I hope your experience here can perhaps persuade you to consider booking another break with us in the future.