“Very enjoyable stay.”

Bay Royal Whitby Hotel
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Myself and my husband travelled with national holidays for 5 days staying from the 24th to the 28th of feb. We stayed in room 322 which was on the top floor. Didn't bother using the lift as other people needed it much more than we did. The room was quite compact but very comfortable. Plenty of hot water, bright white towels and a nice comfy bed, what more do you need. The food was good, piping hot and a good choice in the menu. Restaurant staff extremely efficient at all times, no waiting at all for food. The entertainment was o.k , not always my cup of tea but I know you can't please everybody. All In all we had a great 5 day trip and will be returning in the future. Would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family. Thanks to all the staff.

2  Thank tottenham1956
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I’m pleased to see you found your accommodation comfortable and the food of a high quality. I will pass your comments to all especially the waiting staff and chefs. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal soon.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Stayed with friends and thoroughly enjoyed three night stay. Great location with sea views,food on half board basis is very good,staff very friendly and efficient .Good nightly entertainment with four free drinks on a Saturday.Free car park.Excellent value for money.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Many thanks for you sharing your 5* review. It's great to see we ticked the boxes throughout and that you enjoyed your short stay. We hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Travelled with National Holidays for a 5 day break, there were four of us in our party.Our driver Ron was great, very informative with a lovely sense of fun.
My husband and I were allocated room 109, which turned out to be quite noisy due to the fact that it was above the ballroom, so I asked Vicky at reception if we could have a move to a quieter room, this was done in the blink of an eye with no problems whatsoever. The food was very good and our waiter, Raymund, was just fantastic. He was so friendly, respectful and always greeted us with a lovely smile.Our friend had a broken leg and had to use a wheel chair, and all the staff went above and beyond to make her stay as comfortable as possible.
If I was to have a little niggle, it would be, that the dining room manager shouted at one of the young waiters and gave him a dressing down in front of a number of guests. This I found to be very unprofessional.
However, that said, I would like to say a huge thank you to Vicky and all staff for their attention and efficiency.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you for posting your review. It’s great to see you enjoyed your break and were more comfortable/rested after swapping rooms. I will pass your comments regarding your meals to the kitchen and waiting staff, especially Rajmund, he’ll be delighted. I will address your comments regarding the restaurant manager as this is certainly not common practice. I hope Mrs Davenport leg is slowly getting better and we hope to welcome you back to the Royal soon.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

went for midweek break with shearings,we were given a room on the second floor with a sea view,it was very comfortable no problems with heating or hot water,clean and large enough for two.the food was good,served hot with plenty of variety.the entertainment was fairly good.in general the staff were excellent hard working and very helpful and polite,had a good time around town and would give a special mention to the golden lion pub it is far from being the largest but i bet its the friendliest.also would like to thank ian our driver who made the trip very interesting despite his terrible jokes.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. It would appear we ticked the boxes throughout. I will pass your comments regarding the team to all, I am very lucky to have a great team working here. I will ensure Ian sees your comments also. We hope to welcome you back to the Royal soon.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

We have just returned yesterday from a 5 day break with National Holidays at the Bay Royal Hotel in Whitby. The food was very good and we had a very nice sea view room overlooking the Abbey.
Our driver Ron was great. We have been on a lot of coach holidays where not all the hotel staff are friendly but what impressed us most about this hotel was the staff throughout the whole hotel they were very cheerful, friendly, helpful and polite. I would recommend this holiday and we will certainly be going again.

Mrs & Mrs Tate ( Leeds)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

I appreciate your comments. I'm pleased to see you enjoyed your meals and found your accommodation comfortable. I will pass your comments to the team. I am vey lucky to have a fantastic team here and I'm pleased to see this is noticed.
We hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I recently stayed for three nights in the royal hotel on a National Holiday four day package holiday.I found the hotel very comfortable.The food excellent and the entertainment first class. I will certainly be staying at the Royal again.

John Scott

Room Tip: Sea View give excellent views of the sea
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Thank you John for taking the time to share your review. I’m pleased you enjoyed your meals and entertainment and found the hotel comfortable, 3 of our main aims acheived. I will pass your comments onto all staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal soon.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Have experienced several Shearing's hotels and they all seem to have big problems with heating and hot water. Our room had a view over the back roof, was freezing cold, even with extra heater. We eventually resorted to putting a rolled towel across the window to stop the draft and that really helped. Room was OK, but was meant to be a refurbished room, for which we were charged extra (we had no choice about the room). There were mis-matched taps in the bathroom, broken hinges on the loo, only a heated towel rail, no radiator in the bathroom (which was very cold too) and mould on the wall over the window in the bedroom. no hot water on the second night for anyone in the hotel. So far, so Shearings!
Staff were very friendly, meals hit and miss, with less choice than other hotels in the chain. No breakfast buffet, you have to order everything from your waiter, including orange juice. "Gala" dinner was just the same as the other nights, but with vouchers for 4 drinks as an extra. Entertainment was very good for this type of hotel.
Overall, it is reasonable value for the price, you cannot expect 5 star, but a warm room and hot water are the very least a guest has a right to in the 21st century and Shearings seem to fail on this regularly. We know the hotels are old, but other hotels manage these basics and Shearings should be prepared to offer some compensation when they fail.

1  Thank TheValients

I appreciate you taking the time to share your review. We did experience some issues with the heating/hot water system during your stay which was resolved as soon as possible and we apologise for the inconvenience caused. It is pleasing however that you found the team to be friendly. I was a little confused with your comments on the menus as all Bay hotel use uniformed menus offering the same number of choices. I will pass your comments on to all and we hope you would consider staying with us again.