“Not one of shearings best”

Bay Royal Whitby Hotel
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed 18 March 2014

First i am sorry to start with such a headline, but having travelled to many Shearings hotels this was not one of the best. The hotel is in a beautiful spot, gorgeous views,you honestly could not be better placed
We were in room 303, the room was big,and, we had a spacious bathroom, both were spotless.
Here comes the negative. We had large wet patches on our wall, i went down to reception,and told them what we had found, i think there were three in total. It cant be healthy, i said sleeping in a room with wet walls, but i was not offered a change, i was told it would be reported to maintainence, no one came and we nver heard another thing,so i wrote it on the comment sheet, along with the ridiculously small television, so small, you had to bring a chair almost up to the screen. the bathroom had no extractor fan, and our windows would drip with the condensation, adding to the problem of wet walls.
There is a lot of work needs to be done on this hotel, but to expect guests to stay in a room with wet walls, is beyond me.
For us the food was not brilliant, and portion control was rigid, no one was allowed to help their self to cereal, or the juices, and the night we had the beef, although it was delicious, there was very little beef in it.
Once again i am sorry to write these comments, we would still return, but next time we will complain loudly and make a fuss. Sort out your wet walls, tiny televisions, rigid portion control, and spend some of your profit on maintainence, it certainly needs it

Room Tip: Refuse to sleep in a room with wet walls
1  Thank yvonneRibbleValley
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

I’m sorry to see you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay. Firstly I’m pleased to see you enjoyed the stunning views and found your room to be spotless. We are continually refurbishing areas of the hotel with over 50 rooms having been fully refurbished within the past 18 months with more planned over the coming months. I will, however, investigate the issues you encountered.
In saying that, I am pleased to see you would consider staying with us again and hopefully we can meet your expectations on your next visit.

Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from our 5 night stay (4 initially) booked extra night on 4th day! This is a golden oldie gem hotel, providing table service, entertainment and such exquisite personal service and such a tasty menu for breakfast and dinner, among its many attributes! The fact that its always full speaks volumes. We had a newly refurbished room for 4 days and a superior room for our last night, only because our first room was booked. Both were extremely pleasant and clean. Nice to see that being grade 2 listed it has to retain its character and is not spoiled by upgrades! Very very warm hotel thruout from heating but most of all from the amazing team of lovely ppl who make the Royal SPECIAL ..A big ty to All and we cannot wait for our "already booked" return

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maggie t
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Wow, what a pleasure to receive your 5* review. It is clear to see from your review and that you stayed an extra night that we ticked the boxes throughout and you enjoyed your stay. I couldn’t agree more on your comments about the team, they are a great bunch and will be delighted by your comments. We look forward to seeing you when you return.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

I stay in Whitby between 2 & 4 times a year. I have tried the bay royal several times but they have always been booked up.
Yesterday I noticed rooms available on booking .com. As I was already there I just popped into reception and asked, only to be told they had no rooms? I showed the receptionist on my phone that the website said there was 5 rooms left. She looked again and said yes we do have a room it will be £90 if you book here. She could not match the £55 inc breakfast advertised on the web! I took a look at the room and proceeded to book it at £55 on my phone whilst standing at reception!!! Madness.
The room was spacious and comfortable. That is until the neighbours started using water, it sounded like a hammer drill. Not good @7am.

The breakfast room is 4 consecutive rooms I was given a number the previous night and told I would be shown to my table. I stood at the entrance and waited, after being ignored by 4 members of staff I proceeded to find my table.
The food was very poor, I ordered a full breakfast, the child size portion didn't bother me but the dry bacon hard boiled supposed to be poached egg tepid beans and the Cumberland chipolta needed cooking more evenly. The breakfast is offered at no extra cost but we all know it's not free it's included in the room charge.
No point in complaining as there are many many such complaints already.
I would use bay hotels again but not this one.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Overnyter
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

I’m sorry to see you were disappointed during your recent stay with us. I will look into your comments regarding the time of booking. Whilst we do offer very competitive tariffs online I am sure some arrangement could have been made here at the hotel. As you can see from numerous other reviews on here, we receive a number of great comments regarding our food offering and I’m sorry that this wasn’t the case in your experience. I hope you would re-consider possibly staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel when I went on a Shearings holiday.

In its day it must have been a grand hotel but now it has a faded glory.

rooms are big enough and the bed we had was comfortable

Meals were adequate and you could have more if you asked
The lift is very small only holding four people, although we were on the third floor we didnt have any trouble with it.
We had room 311 which had a shower as opposed to a shower over the bath, which is good if you have limited mobility. Although this was on top floor and a long walk from the lift! but it was flat for walking.
Whitby is very hilly, so we used to walk down and get taxi back (under £5)
All told its a great hotel for the money.
There is a Wetherspoons pub in Whitby right near rhe taxi rank

Room Tip: room 311 has a separate shower as opposed to a shower over bath
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for the 5* review. I’m pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything to your liking. I will pass your comments onto the team. We hope to welcome you back to the Royal soon.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

travelled by car and parking excellent, reception really helpful on arrival, dining staff friendly and helpful, entertainment was excellent each evening, cleanliness of bedroom and public areas were very good as were bar and housekeeping staff.
overall a great weekend and venue.

Room Tip: sea view rooms large windows and bright
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

I’m pleased to see you enjoyed your recent short break with us. I have a great team here at the Royal and will ensure they all see your kind comments. We hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Popped into the hotel just to enquire if they had a double room for one night, they had and I was given the key to go and inspect before booking. The young lady on reception was very helpful and polite. The hotel was very warm. The room on the 3rd floor was very clean, basic and a bit tired, had a sea view, the window was open as it was a lovely sunny, warm day in March. We freshened up before venturing out for the evening. There was plenty of hot water, the towels were very fresh. In the middle of the night quite suddenly probably due to a tide change the wind became almost gale force I got up to close the window but found it would not move at all my partner eventually managed to close it, then some screws fell out??? Despite this the wind continued to howl around the window keeping us awake for quite some time till the wind subsided a little. The window had clearly seen better days when we inspected in the morning. It is clearly a very old building and I imagine that due to its huge expanse it would cost millions to revamp her. The hotel has lots of lovely qualities to it and it is in a perfect spot but she does deserve a bit of a tidy up inside, especially the windows on the top floors.

Room Tip: Check the windows especially on the third floor
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your review. It’s pleasing to see you were happy with the services offered and I will pass your comments to our reception team. I apologise for the issues you encountered with the window and will have our maintenance dept rectify the situation. In a building this size our refurbishment is continual and very much ongoing with over 50 bedrooms having been completed within the past 18 months and ballroom with further rooms to follow later this year. We hope you would consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Secured 3 single rooms here last Thursday night for £30 each including breakfast. Amazing value.

Sure like many large old hotels it's quite tired in a few areas, but still imposing and magnificently located. The bonus of going out-of-season and perhaps midweek was also that we could park the car right outside for free.

We had good service, sea view, plus a rarity these days of a reasonable full English breakfast fully served to your table. There was even a full size snooker table sat empty awaiting our chance to remind ourselves how hopeless we were and to stick to pool in future. It was also the only night on our 4 night joint where we had a full bathroom with bath. We had made do with a pokey shower in all other venues.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Thanks for sharing your review. It’s great to read that you all enjoyed your stay and found it to be good value for money. I completely agree with your comments, we have a stunning building with amazing views. I will pass your comments to all the team and perhaps you could visit us again to work on those snooker skills.