“Whitby - Royal Hotel”

Bay Royal Whitby Hotel
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Possibly the worst Hotel we have ever stayed in. Hotel position good. Our room was extremely basic, with some of the cheapest fittings and furniture you could imagine, toilet seat with chunks missing and badly damaged underneath. Bathroom looked as if it had not been touched for 20 years. We had to keep the bedroom window closed day and night because of so many black flies. Public rooms the worst I have ever seen very cheap shabby furniture. The food was extremely poor quality. In my opinion this hotel needs closing and a complete refurbishment. Decor was awful with parts of ceiling hanging down dirty fingerprints on all paintwork, in fact we loved this part of Yorkshire but were so upset by this hotel we left one night early. One good point sheets and towels were fresh and clean and many of the staff were very friendly.
My advice AVOID THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank David B
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

I must admit I was disappointed to read your review. It’s difficult to tell from your review how long you stayed or in which room and I would have welcomed the opportunity to discuss your complaints in person. I do find your opinion that the hotel should be shut down for full refurbishment rather harsh especially considering in the past 18 months we have had over 50 bedrooms and some corridors refurbished, a full refurbishment of our ballroom and all new furniture in our ballroom, lounge bar and reception areas. To say any of this is cheap and shabby I find to be very unfair.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at The Royal, Whitby, (Shearings) from 28th April until 2nd May 2014. Generally good with no complaints. We paid a little extra and stayed in a superior room; 207. Good sized room with good view. Clean and tidy. Mattresses awful, every spring felt. Still, we survived intact; a few red wines before bed and forgot the mattresses!! Food Ok with no complaints, a tad basic some would say and small portions but we enjoyed it. If you want absolute luxury stay in Claridges, London! For what we paid we had a great time. Whitby very interesting with much to see and do. Very large ballroom with good entertainment; plenty of space. Big hotel; small bar! Parking restrictions now apply all around the hotel. £6.00 per day. Greedy council or what? Would I recommend this hotel; I certainly would.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the superior rooms with sea view. Don't go for the cheaper rooms at the rear of th...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you for posting your review. I’m pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and found it value for money. Room 207 is a lovely room with stunning views. I will pass your comments to all the team. We hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

From being greeted with "you've just missed dinner" upon arriving 8 minutes after the 7.45 deadline (ludicrously early for which is laughingly advertised as Whitby's premier hotel) on a foggy, rainy night after travelling from 10.15 am I feared the worst. I was not mistaken. The room we were given was dirty and reminiscent of a 60's student bedsit. I asked to be swapped to something better and this was done the next day although as this was a re-furbished room there was an extra charge of £5pppn. What a joke - even this room, supposedly re-furbished boasted a cracked toilet cistern held together with tape, a broken hot tap and waste bin! However it was cleaner than the first one.
The dining room is badly in need of a makeover with dated pine furniture and table ware I haven't seen for 20 + years. The milk on our table at breakfast was in an old tea pot with the lid open and the breakfast cereals were served from old ice cream containers by using a saucer !

Even the ladies toilet adjacent to the ballroom and used every night for entertainment had a waste bin with broken foot pedal - a notice taped to the wall advised opening the lid by hand - questionable hygiene ! As for the other public WC on the ground floor , this looks as if it should have been condemned years ago - very dirty with old cracked wash basin.

The entertainment was good on the night we stayed for it, the ballroom having obviously been recently decorated and was bright and inviting. However the overall impression is a hotel well past its sell by date providing a very poor quality holiday experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
5  Thank mckees4
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to post your review and we’re sorry that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay. Whilst I am aware we do still have some areas in need of refurbishment, we have had some of our public areas and a large number of bedrooms completed over the past 2 years and I am very surprised to find that you found areas to be dirty. I will investigate your comments regarding the meal on your arrival as this is certainly not common practice at that time of night and at the very least salads/sandwiches and a sweet should have been offered. I hope your experience will not deter you from staying with Bay hotels in the future.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

This hotel is a classic from a past era, with all its original features,we were on the 3rd floor in a refurbished room with a comfortable bed and room furniture but the toilet needed attention to flush, the staff service was excellent, the food was basic but good and served very quickly, there is a lift to all floors but is of a past era, with a quirky entrance and can only carry 2 people with luggage and you need to hold the call button till it lights up, there is an excellent car park at the back, which you need to book in advance with a locked gate at £5 a day, there is a nice lounge bar with real ale on, we think this is good value for money on there 3day break offer of bed, breakfast & evening meal to enjoy this fascinating seaside town of whitby with so much to do for young and old.

Room Tip: try an upper floor room with a see view including the abbey, more cost but the view of the habour an...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review. We offer good value, comfortable breaks and I’m pleased to see that was your experience. We hope you will choose to stay with us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We had a very pleasant stay at this hotel over the Easter holiday, the rooms were spacious and clean ,staff were very nice and helpful, the food was excellent with a good choice the evening entertainment was good , people were complaining but listening to them I wondered if they were actually in the same hotel, it was value for money and we would definitely go back, it is situated in a excellent position, within easy reach of all the amenities.

Thank Oldhamer.4
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to share your review. I’m pleased to see you all enjoyed your Easter break and found it to be good value for money. We appreciate people have different expectations and try our best to meet all. I will pass your comments to the team and we hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

four of us went with shearings to this hotel - we had a nice time - good food etc - very friendly staff the hotel is well situated with great views, as with most hotels there is always room for improvement, we would have liked to have had more ventilation in the room and like an earlier reviewer posted we would have probably spent more time in the hotel if the bar prices were set lower - however this will not stop us from going there again! we liked the entertainment each evening in the ballroom and the very pleasant lounges to relax in. even though we did not have room with a sea view we were not to bothered the weather was very kind and we did not spend much time in our room overall we thought that the weeekend was good value for money I can appreciate that it is a fine old building and that maintaining it will be an ongoing thing and I dont see any way that a reasonable size lift could be installed without major work Jim Sum

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I’m pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to pass your comments onto all the team. You were indeed very lucky with the weather over Easter (quite a contrast to this weekend). I appreciate our comments regarding the lift. We hope to welcome you back to the Royal soon.

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Very friendly staff and great location and views . Room nice and clean and well serviced.

Areas for improvement: Wi-Fi in rooms.
Lower the prices in the bar
Access to car park at the back is difficult (had to climb over the fence)
Quite loud in corridors (can't do much about that really!)
Lift pretty inadequate

Stayed: April 2014

Thank you for sharing your review. I’m pleased to see you found the staff friendly and were happy with your room. We currently offer free WI-FI in the public areas and find our bar prices to be in line with many of our competitors. I’m confused as to your comments regarding the car park as there is a gap in the chains to allow for a clear walkway. We hope you would choose to stay with Bay hotels again.