“Elaine Fletcher”

Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Elaine Fletcher”
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

My sisters and I visited the Royal whitby in June 2nd to 6th June we had a great time the rooms were clean and comfortable we were in rooms209 and 210 the views were to die for Angela the the lady who cleaned our rooms was lovely and Daniel our waiter was very polite and helpful .......... this was our 4 visit the last 3 visits were not as good that is why we did not come back last year this year we decided to give them another try we are glad we did .......... so Royal keep up the good work ..........Elaine Fletcher Sheffield

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Elaine F
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to share your review. I couldn’t agree more with the comments about 209 and 210 – the views are quite spectacular. Angela and Daniel will be delighted by your comments, especially Daniel as he had only been with us for a couple of weeks at the time of your stay. I’m glad to see you enjoyed your recent stay more than the previous times and we hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.
Vicki Glen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Im currently staying here at the minute im within my second day here, the staff are nice and willing to help with anything, my room fabulous and has disabilty accessories which is needed for myself and my waiter michel is very calm, allways saying his manners, poilte and very very busy but alleays has time for people who come in a little later like me.
Excellant

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Jemma C
5* reviews are always a pleasure to receive – thank you. It would seem we ticked the box throughout and trust it continued for the remainder of your stay. I will pass your comments to all and especially Michael. We hope to welcome you back to the Royal soon.
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed at the hotel June 20-23 booking with Shearings, whilst we didn't expect 5 star we did think it would be better than it was and find it hard to fathom how they have been awarded a 3 star. We initially booked a standard room but in all honesty it was a bit too basic, bed linen all faded, tiny TV which must have been 20 years old and a tiny bathroom with thin towels, given we were staying for 3 nights we paid for an upgrade which was an extra £75 (for 3 nights) for a better room. The room itself was much better than the standard one and the quality of the towels, and provisions much better however, the upgrade promised good quality mattresses (which they were not) and after a sleepless first night we turned the mattresses to see if that would help only to discover a thick layer of dust on both of the bed bases (not good when one of you has asthma!), one of the bed sheets was stained (which was changed on request) plus the outside of the wardrobe doors were full of stains which looked like someone had opened a bottle of fizzy drink and it had gone everywhere - we also had to request the room was given a general dusting as all the lamps hadn't seen a duster for a while. In addition to the lack of attention in the cleaning department the food was also poor quality so much so that on our last night we couldn't face eating our evening meal in the hotel and decided to go out. The staff on reception and in the dining were very helpful and always courteous.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the bay
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wellibob
I was disheartened by the title of your review and I’m sorry you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay. We have an extensive refurbishment program in place with a large number of rooms and public areas already been done which along with the services offered, I believe comfortably sees us in a 3* bracket. I will however look into your comments with my head housekeeper.
Vicki Glen

Travellers are raving about these Whitby hotels

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed at the hotel in May 16-19 th accompanied with 2 other persons, they in a large room with 2 single beds and myself in a smaller room with 1 single bed. The rooms were clean, well appointed with desk, closet and easy chair, new t.v.

Bathroom was clean, hair dryer provided.

Meals were excellent, with sufficient quantity, and nicely presented and served in a bright pleasant surrounding.

Wi-fi available but not in the rooms, but it is no hardship to sit in the comfortable reception area were it is available.

I waited 20 years to visit Whitby, the hotel to me was not my focus on visiting Whitby, but as it turned out, it was the cherry on top! I thoroughly enjoyed everything. When I return (for a longer stay hopefully) I will stay at the Bay Royal Whitby Hotel.

Room Tip: I did stay in an upgraded room with a sea view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alison P
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
We love to receive 5* reviews so thank you. I’m pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed everything our newly refurbished rooms have to offer. I will pass your comments onto all the team and we look forward to welcoming you back (for a longer stay) in the future.
leeds
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

We are staying at this hotel and have another night here and wish we didn't!!! Room is rubbish, not clean!!! Shabby, tea stains up wall, tape on windows that you can't open!!! Food is awful!!! All out of tins,tasteless, we left breakfast, full of grease!!! We came here as been to shearings before and was brill!!! But this place is a let down to there name, this is a 40th birthday celebration which has been marred by this!!!

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank julief74
I’m sorry to see you were disappointed with your short break. I think I have identified your room number by your username and whilst I appreciate it is one of our older rooms, to call it unclean is unfair. I’m surprised by your comments regarding the food as after being on duty myself both Friday night and Saturday morning and speaking with a number of guests (and eating here myself) I heard no other complaints of this nature. I would have appreciated the opportunity to discuss your comments in person, especially as it would appear your review was written whilst still at the hotel.
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We have spent the last four nights in this hotel, on a Shearing's coach trip. The check-in was fast and efficient and bags delivered to rooms as quickly as possible. The hotel is, as with a lot of Shearing's Bay hotels, a little tired and need of a bit of TLC, but they can't do everything at once and, as usual, you gets what you pays for - good value for the prce charged. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. A special thanks goes to our Lithuanian waiter, Eugene - a lovely man. Also Steve Conroy, who entertains most evenings, is fun and good at his job (thanks for playing all my last minute requests Thursday late night, Steve!). The food is good and, yippee, of a reasonable temperature! Would recommend paying for a sea view, if you can afford it and, unless you are hard of hearing, maybe a good idea not to have one above the ballroom, if you aren't planning to join in the entertainment. The hotel is in a good, high, position above the town and harbour of Whitby (could be a problem for those with walking abilities, although there is a guide bus, which stops actually at the hotel, at very regular intervals, via which you can easily get into town and it's very reasonably priced at £4 for seniors!). I did hear a few grumbles that the drinks could be a little more moderately priced. All in all a very good break in a very pleasant hotel. I shall certainly return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank EtoileSanderstead
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to share your review. Your heading is exactly what we aim to be. I’m pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us and had no complaints. I will pass your comments onto all of the team and especially to Eugene, he has been with us for many years now and is a valued member of the team. We hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.
Newcastle
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We have just returned from the Royal Hotel, the staff are all wonderful, can't do enough to make you comfortable. The room (we paid for a sea view) was a refurbished, and although the bathroom could have done with re-grouting everything else was fine. The passage ways were in need of a coat of paint although the carpets appeared newish.
The meals appeared smallish quantities but as there was 3 courses they were perfectly adequate (even for my husband). The location is great, wonderful views and the hop on hop off bus stops outside, which was great for tour of Whitby and going up and down to harbour £4 for 24 hrs. Beware of the parking if you are Self Drive as we were, we were told there was no need to book parking, there was, my husband had to park miles away on the 1st day as everywhere was full up. We did manage to pay for a bay at the hotel on the 2nd day, well worth the £5. As usual I can highly recommend Shearing Holidays for value and service. Entertainment very good. We had a leaflet in our room which said if you booked your next break with reception or within 7 days of return you would recieve a discount of 15% for self drive and 20% for coach holidays. I have booked 7 days in Torquay at the end of June and got £48 per person discount. I am looking forward to the next holiday. Thank You Shearings,

Room Tip: Sorry, no fitness centre or pool.Pay for sea view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank patsy22Newcastle
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am very lucky to have a great team here and I will be sure to pass your comments to all. We have a continual plan of refurbishment going on and I’m pleased you spotted some of the improvements. We hope you will choose to stay with us again in the not too distant future.