“Revisted ye old Beehive inne”

Ye Olde Beehive Inne
London, United Kingdom
“Revisted ye old Beehive inne”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

For my birthday this year my wife and I thought we would go back to the beehive inn again,as we had such a good time there last year. Well we was not disappointed at all, yet again Mandy and Keith, gave us such a warm welcome. With Rebecca their daughter serving us our evening meals, in the bar in front of a very warm and cosy coal fire, it was so pleasant. The evening meals and the breakfasts are all made with fresh local produce ,that they are all ways very tasty and the helpings are big.
Mandy and Keith are exceptional good hosts, Keith even found time too give me some guitar lessons, and with Mandys great sense of humour we had such a good laugh . The rooms was newly decorated which was very nicely done, the beds are so comfy you never want to get up . Please ignore any bad reviews, try it for yourself you will not be disappointed. Thank you again Mandy, keith and Rebecca, for making our weekend so lovely. We will be back again for sure.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Huddersfield
Reviewed 27 April 2014

we have just arrived home after a lovely weekend at the Bee hive ,Mandy and Keith once again made it extra special by being wonderful hosts, nothing is to much trouble for them.The food we had was first class as always ,Mandy is a excellent chief and produces some amazing food .All the rooms have been re vamped (not that they needed it )and are looking fresh and tasteful for the summer ahead.it was lovely seeing faces we recognized again at the inn like us they are returning customers ,once you have stayed with Keith and Mandy at the bee hive you are sure to return ,please ignore any bad reviews and see for yourself we love it !

Room Tip: all rooms the same ,excellent.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I made a last minute booking ( literally 2 hours before arriving) and when we arrived Keith immediately made us feel like we'd known him years!
Our room was lovely and immaculately clean and warm. The bar had a roaring fire and we chatted all night to the landlord who had lots of interesting knowledge about Whitby etc. Mandy his wife was very friendly too and after a good nights sleep in a comfy bed Mandy made us a wonderful full English breakfast which was very well presented - not a trace of grease. Keith was his usual friendly jovial self and they both gave us a warm friendly start to our visit to Whitby!
I cannot believe the earlier bad review - I think the customer and his wife must have been a pair of knobs for which nothing ever suits!! Ignore their review Keith and Mandy are lovely and we'd definitely stay there again xx

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Side
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I cannot believe this utterly horrible place has got so many excellent reviews.
I have never been so badly treated by a service provider in my whole life. I echo the experience of a few of the reviewers here. I fell for the olde worlde charm given by the website. The experience could not have contrasted more.
Actually, to be fair, the food was excellent. The pub was nice and cosy. However, the room was freezing and the bath was utterly pathetic. When you go away for a weekend and stay in a b and b I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a warm room, and the opportunity to have a good wash in hot water. To make any complaint to the landlord or landlady is very risky, and not for the faint hearted. If you dare leave the property earlier than originally planned, be prepared for a tirade of personal abuse, and to be manhandled off the property. I considered reporting the landlord to the police for assault, but just wanted to get out of the area as quickly as possible as my wife was very upset and utterly intimidated by the thoroughly objectionable owners.
A horrible experience, but the food was good

Room Tip: Do not choose any room with a bath, if you want to use it rather than just look at it
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Jabberjackson
loughborough
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We had a fantastic couple of days in the Beehive. Keith and Mandy couldn't have been more welcoming. We felt like we'd known them for ages straight away! There was a lovely log fire burning in the grate and we had a lovely chat whilst Keith and Mandy told us lots of local history and gave us some good ideas about where to go in Whitby later that day. Arriving back at the Beehive later on we had an interesting chat with some of the locals. The coziness of the bar and the atmosphere seemed to make it easier to get chatting with strangers straight away. The bedroom was fine - lots of tea and coffee and some lovely complimentary chocolate truffles were provided - just the job! The shower was a little difficult to operate but once we'd got the hang of it it was fine. I've seen reviews to say the bedrooms were cold but the central heating was on and there was an extra convection heater to top up if required so we weren't cold at all. As we were there for 2 nights we had the full English breakfast on the first morning which was fantastic - sausage, egg, bacon, tomato, mushroom, hash browns and black pudding! We were so full that we didn't need lunch although we did have to try fish and chips in Whitby much later on. The following morning we had Whitby kippers and scrambled egg which were delicious. All in all it was a fantastic weekend and will live long in the memory. Keith and Mandy were excellent hosts and we will definitely be back again. My only regret is not having an evening meal in the restaurant but we just didn't have room after having fish and chips earlier on . We shall just have to go back!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Donnoram
United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel at home straight away. As we had been stuck in traffic and arrived later than expected, Mandy offered to cook dinner for my little girl while we decided what to have. When our food arrived it was fantastic! So delicious, and hearty portions. We all ordered dessert, but our eyes were bigger than our bellies! The bar area is cosy, with a real fire and twinkling lights around it.

My daughter was thrilled to find a little gift on her pillow, and she was well catered for the whole time we were there. She even had Peppa Pig yogurts in the morning, which she thought was fantastic.

The room was beautifully decorated and the bed-linen was high quality. For once I didn't have to ask for extra pillows as they were just perfect. The room and en-suite were both spotlessly clean. The bathroom had both a shower and a roll-top bath.

The breakfast - what can I say apart from wow! There's so much choice and the portions will definitely keep you satisfied until lunch. I am a fussy eater, but they accommodated my requests and the sausage and bacon are very good quality.

Would I return? Definitely! My daughter keeps asking when we are going to go back, she felt so much at home here and Mandy and Keith are excellent hosts. Looking forward to our next trip there!

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank danilou21
east tilbury
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Having left booking for our break far too late ,we found that Whitby was full, but that made me start to look out of town. On phoning Ye Old Beehive I wasn't expecting to find any room but thought it worth a try, Keith answered the phone and with his ' nothing is too much of a problem' attitude said he was full , but how about this ......... he offered us a room not on suite but might help us out , we grabbed the chance but didn't expect much . I told the wife beggars can't be choosers and I think we are going to be staying in either a cupboard or stable!
On arrival we were greeted by Mandy , a very pleasant welcome , the room was lovely (we managed not to be knocked out by the beams !) The room was not as warm as our home but it was not cold and how people can think that such lovely old building should be as warm as a thermally insulated modern home is hard to understand ,and if you want warmth then a visit to the bar will sort you out , the fire roared and everyone in the bar were so friendly, and Keith was master of ceremonies. On our first night we went to an Indian restaurant in town and whilst we were there we checked out the Beehives scores on tripadvisor and of course just had to read the bad reviews , we were nearly crying with laughter and scared to go back !!! Neither me nor the wife wanted a finger wagging or to be told to 'man up' !!!
I try to always be honest and I think both Keith and Mandy are the same so for that I respected them they were great hosts great value great food and had a great location for Whitby town, definitely would recommend . Hope to stay again

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple