“B&B from hell - Rude and arrogant people.”

Ye Olde Beehive Inne
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“B&B from hell - Rude and arrogant people.”
Reviewed 13 August 2010

I would like to start by saying that my experience with Ye Olde Beehive Inn was like something out of a tv show. Unfortunately I’m thinking more Holidays from Hell/Ramseys Kitchen Nightmares than Wish You Were Here. One of the other reviews on here completely sums up our opinions of the landlord and lady. I’m sure you can find which one that is.

My wife and I turned up thought we had got lucky as the landlady said they had a double en suite room available as there had been a cancellation. After a long day driving around seeing the sights we were looking forward to a quick hot shower and then to go out in Whitby for dinner. The room looked nice when we initially saw it (I’m sure it’s the one described in the previous review) and although there was no shower we thought we could make do with the stand alone bath for one night. I went down to pay after a few minutes as the landlord had insisted on payment before we left for the evening.

The problems started when we tried to run hot water for a bath as the hot water tap was no better than a trickle and after 10 minutes the bath was only a couple of inches full and the tap had run cold. My wife popped downstairs to ask about this and whether there was any chance of another shower anywhere being free to which the owners immediately went on the defensive saying that all the other rooms were booked and how lucky we were to find a room near whitby as we hadn’t prebooked. Also that the village didn’t have mains gas and they only had an immersion heater. How this was our fault I don’t know. We had paid for bed and breakfast and assumed this would include use of hot water.

We were quite happy just to leave, get our money back and try our luck elsewhere. After initially agreeing to refund our money, it was retracted in the very next sentence, only offering to refund us half the money. I fail to see how having been in the building ½ hour at most, a couple of inches of luke warm water in a bath and only having barely sat on the end of the bed was worth the £35 that they wanted from us. These two had clearly upset my wife and their voices were raised (they were loud people anyway) so I went downstairs and took over the discussion. I consider myself an extremely calm and level headed person and think that you never get anywhere with people if you are rude to them. However after 5 minutes of me asking asking politely for our money back and how they thought that taking £35 from us was acceptable, they clearly weren’t budging. What a scam!

When the Landlord started getting verbally aggressive, stood up and started jabbing his finger in the direction of my wife…..while she was crying … it’s understandable that my wife lost her temper and told them they were awful people whilst using a swear word to make her point. Laughably the landlord then said he had a good mind to call the police in the face of such language. Considering his actions which caused this I would have thought it should have been the other way round. At this point I was glad I am such a calm person as i'm sure other people would not have been able to keep calm whilst witnessing this kind of behaviour towards a woman. After telling him that this was totally unacceptable behaviour and that no one should act like that towards a woman, somehow I managed to keep cool and usher my wife upstairs to get our things.

We were followed by the landlady who continued to make snide comments in our direction with the deliberate aim of trying to get a reaction from my wife. Even after I told the landlady to be quiet as she wasn’t helping the situation and just let us leave, she continued. My wife was in a bit of a state by this time so we quickly got our things and left.

Eventually we found a lovely B&B up the road in a pub in a nearby village …and yes…it had a shower with hot water. Fortunately for us this episode didn’t ruin our entire weekend (only that night) although we were both amazed to come across people like that who I thought only existed in cartoons or on tv.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
11 Thank winners1980

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Harrogate
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Happened on this delightful inn in a tiny village near Whitby by chance.
Very pretty outside
Dark beams in the bar, candles glowing in the fireplace, a warm welcome.
The food was excellent, served quickly and piping hot. I asked for vegetables on the side and got a steaming bowl of lots of fresh veg cooked perfectly.
Lots of fresh fish on the menu, spoilt for choice.
We looked into one of the bedrooms which was beautifully decorated and had an ensuite bathroom with standalone bath - wished we could have stayed over.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Casasastre
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2010

What a gem of a retaurant, tucked away in a small village near Whitby. It was recommended by our hotel owners, and they could not have recommended anywhere better for a wonderful meal.

The host is a bit of a character, full of chat and local knowledge. But the food is quite simply superb crab risotto, warm goats cheese salad, halibut with prawns, high quality beef etc. Everything brilliant quality and great value.

Speaking with guests who were also staying there, we will go back to stay one day. And certainly we will return to eat.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PaulausTirol
historygirl_10
Reviewed 10 April 2010

we visited the beehive whist staying in Newholm, we took our tenage daughters and our two young grandchildren there for a meal, we fount the place very welcoming and cosy. lordlady and landlady were very helpful and made you welcome meals were beautiful would go there again, ward family stafford

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank historygirl_10
York
Reviewed 7 December 2009

Thoroughly enjoyed our short stay at The Bee Hive Inn near Whitby. Keith and Mandy made us feel very welcome. The room was cosy, clean and comfortable. The food was cooked to perfection, there was a good selection and the portions were very generous.
A perfect relaxing weekend.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jorvik333
leeds
Reviewed 9 November 2009

i stayed here with my girlfriend at a last minute phone call and how lucky we are everything was perfect from the word go the owners helped us with anything and were always friendly and good people to know. the rooms are very tidy and excellently decorated the windows were single pain but its a grade 2 listed building so it should be as it is. Food cannot be beaten for price and qauntity its of a very high standard suprised it has no awards for example rossettes. overall a perfect 16th century inn !

• Liked — views and the food
  • Disliked — not open week nights but not the end of the world
  • Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank phil2314
romsey
Reviewed 28 September 2009

My husband and I have just celebrated our Silver Wedding at the Beehive Inn with friends and family. The food was first class as was the service. Nothing was too much trouble. Living 300 miles away, all arrangements were made over the phone. Mandy was great and really put my mind at ease that everything was going to be okay on the day.
Phil and Judith Giles