“we had a fantastic evening, just disappionted they were fully booked and couldnt stay!”

Ye Olde Beehive Inne
Reviewed 9 March 2011

After staying at the beehive a couple of years ago to celebrate our wedding anniversary we so wanted to stay there again but the particular weekend was fully booked but we were able to book a table on the saturday night and we were not disappionted it was just as we remembered the bars and restaurant were cosy with open log fires with lots of candles and great wine! nothing was too much trouble the food and service were fantastic as we remembered and made for a great dinning experiance,well a lovely night! hopefully next time we go to whitby there will be room at the inn!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jack006

Reviewed 6 March 2011

Great service, Keith and Mandy made us so welcome and couldn't do enough for us. Wonderful breakfast - as much as we wanted. Rooms very comfortable and very well decorated. We felt at home and all six of us would stay again. Keith sat with us on our return in the evening, playing gutiar and talking to us. Very hospitable. Only wish we'd eaten in the restaruant. Next time!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank SuzanneCountyDurham
Reviewed 4 March 2011

Visited the Beehive inne recently with my other half - cosy, clean and welcoming accomodation set in idylic location. Lovely walk to near by sandsend and whitby area. owners could not do enough for us even walked our dog that we take everywere with us and its such a struggle to find a place that accepts dogs too. Old fashioned free standing bath aswell which is a nice change from a shower as we come away to relax. we decided to dine in the restaurant aswell as we had read an atricle in a magazine about an author who had eaten there and described it has her perfect getaway and she wasn't wrong in anyway ! Had a massive bowl of mussels to start with and it was huge for a starter and my husband had braised bellypork with scallops and a chilly soy dressed salad all perfectly cooked. For my main i had localy caught cod and chips the portion made the towns takeaways look embarrasing and my husband had the duck which he thoroughly enjoyed. While we were dining we got talking to the game keeper that had shot and supplyed the restaurant which was very impressive and you will not find in many restaurants. In all the places we have stayed in whitby this exceeds them all will deffinately be back in summer and will be bringing friends !

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank phil2314
Reviewed 20 September 2010

If only we had read the reviews in their entirety!

However we had been taken in by the olde world image of their website, omitting to notice that there were no booking conditions listed anywhere - and this was for good reason, as we found to our utter dismay.

We had booked for a week's stay but unfortunately I came down with a rather bad virus several days before we were due to stay there. I duly phoned them - giving at least 48 hours notice - and was greeted on the telephone by the wife firstly telling me that she shouldn't have answered the telephone anyway as she was late getting down to the bar. Great customer service - not! I then proceeded to explain why we had to cancel. She proceeded to tell me that she would be deducting the cost of the entire 7 day's stay from our credit card!!

When I began to protest she became very rude but I wasn't going to give in to this ridiculous penalty. However in the end (worried what she would eventually do!) I had to agree to her debiting £200, yes, £200 from our credit card.

In retrospect they really have the punters where they want them as no confirmation was ever sent and we had just naively assumed all would be okay.

Please do not book here - they seem to be in the business of taking people for a ride.
We are so incensed by their actions we have reported them to the Trading Standards Office and the North Yorkshire Tourist Board!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
12  Thank travellight021
Reviewed 3 September 2010

Just returned from a relaxing 2 night break at the beehive inne, we were recommended this place by friends and we were not dissapointed, it was just as they said and more. On arrival we were met by the landlord who immediatley took our bags and offered a to make us a pot of tea, this is just what we needed after a long tiring drive in school holiday traffic jams. Our room was tastefully decorated & had a beautiful bath, which was a perfect way to unwind before going down to the restaurant. The food was out of this world, i had the sea bass, my husband had the steak it was all cooked to perfection only wish i had left enough room for a pudding, maybe on our next visit. To sum up had a lovely 2 days, great place, food and people. Thanks to all at the Beehive

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dav23sussex
Reviewed 15 August 2010

Having not booked a room in the area, I thought we had lucked out when we happened upon this quaint pub/ restuarant with an available room which was immaculately decorated. However shortly after arriving it all went wrong. The landlord insisted on payment up front (it should have rung alarm bells), then the hot water taps only trickled water which wasn't even hot. When I politely enquired if there was any other option I was told no and offered my money back. As soon as I accepted that offer they immediately revoked it and said they would only give us half back and then a litany of harsh words ensued where we were blamed for the lack of water pressure and gas mains in the village and basically anything else these people felt like venting at us. I would like to say I remained calm, unfortunately in the face of such unprovoked abuse (after a long and tiring day) I turned into a blubbering mess, somewhere between anger and confusion at the situation. The way it turned it I would NOT have stayed there if they had paid me and the £35 they kept from me was well worth it for not having to spend one more minute in the company of such hideously awful people. Stay in this B&B at your peril!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
13  Thank profplum5
Reviewed 14 August 2010

After searching for somewhere to stay in the Whitby area i came across this Inne, it has excellent reviews so i couldnt wait to book it for our wedding anniversary. When i rang i was told that they dont allow one night stays!!! this is due to the fact that the Inne only has three bedrooms.Cant understand why this is surely a booking for one night is better than having the room empty for two if no one else should book!!! we would have spent money on a meal plus drinks in the bar!!! im sure my husband would have sampled many a malt whiskey!!! I was gutted after all the glowing reports i had read i am now on the hunt again to track down an equal!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple