“Excellent quality and good value” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 213 Restaurants in Whitby
Price range: US$8 - US$27
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Cheap Eats, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: At Monks Haven Café you can sit, relax and watch the world pass by along historic Church Street through our bay windows while enjoying fine, freshly ground coffee or Yorkshire tea. We serve fresh Whitby crab sandwiches, fresh Whitby cod in a beer batter and a wide selection of desserts and treats from scones to lemon and ginger crunch. We are open 7 days a week and until late on Friday and Saturday evenings.
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Excellent quality and good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We had Monks Haven recommended to us in 2013 and found it to be excellent but I forgot to write a review. We visited Whitby for the gothic weekend in April and knew we would have lunch at Monks Haven and exactly what we would eat. For my money the steak pie is without doubt the best I've ever had and my partner who is a chef totally agrees with me. The steak is excellent quality and the pastry is melt in the mouth. You get extra gravy which is a treat on it's own.
I've not tried anything else on the menu because I love the steak pie. Monks Haven is a smashing little café and any visitor would not be disappointed. I recommend Monks Have totally

• Visited April 2014

“Very impressed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We were only looking for somewhere to have a drink and use the WC but on entering the Monks Haven Cafe we were instantly impressed with the quaint decor and nice looking food.
At £4.95 for a cooked breakfast and coffee the was too good to pass on. For its price the food was excellent and I would certainly visit here again.

2 Thank ebean1611
peterborough
“Best fish & chips of our stay & great cake.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

My husband & I ate here today & loved it. My husband ordered fish, chips & mushy peas & it was delicious, not greasy at all in fact it was nicer than the previous night where we had eaten at Trenchers fish & chip restaurant. I ordered a hot chocolate which was perfect in every way with a slice of freshly home made Victoria sandwich. The facilities were very clean & the staff were very polite & friendly. When my husband went to pay he thought he has been given the wrong bill as he found it extremely reasonable for the amount of food we had. We will be back again.

1 Thank carleymawhinney
Preston, United Kingdom
“Delightful, pleasant atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

This little café tucked into the old streets of Whitby has a really friendly atmosphere. We had a really nice meal here the other day. The staff were really friendly and attended to all our needs. The food and drink was really nice and served with a smile. All made you feel special, a place I will return to again

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gainsborough, United Kingdom
“First visit here was good, second was not so good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Our first visit here was on a cold Friday afternoon, when the cafe was not too busy the atmosphere was pleasant, the drinks were good and the dog friendly cafe made it even more interesting. Having our drinks upgraded to large for free was a bonus too.

However, on the Saturday when we visited again, it was busy, the tables were dirty and the staff were clearly not coping with the pressure of running a busy cafe, the food was okay, while it was fresh and good sized portions, it was nothing special and our drinks were nice. We had to wait ages for the tables to be cleared, and I asked for the bill to be brought to the table twice, before actually going to the till to pay (without a bill). THis was after two different staff members came to take our order.

My advice is avoid this cafe if it is busy as the customer service will be poor and you will wait ages for anything. If its quiet like the Friday afternoon, go in and get a drink, otherwise find somewhere else.

• Visited March 2014