“My dog was welcome!”

Ranked #12 of 213 Restaurants in Whitby
Price range: US$8 - US$27
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: At Monks Haven Café you can sit, relax and watch the world pass by along historic Church Street through our bay windows while enjoying fine, freshly ground coffee or Yorkshire tea. We serve fresh Whitby crab sandwiches, fresh Whitby cod in a beer batter and a wide selection of desserts and treats from scones to lemon and ginger crunch. We are open 7 days a week and until late on Friday and Saturday evenings.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“My dog was welcome!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

In a very 'dog unfriendly' town this was the only place we could find to eat in!
Fish and chips was great, no problem with the service, just be warned they don't take cards.

“Lack of manners will cost you many customers.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

As you'll see from other reviews it appears it depends who is working when you visit on the experience you'll receive.
The women who was on today looked bored/fed up and like she'd rather be anywhere else apart from at work. Basic manners non existent.
I opted for the carrot cake which tasted fabulous. Just a shame it had been fired out of a cannon from one of the ships in the harbour.
I would also recommend on days when said waitress is on, the shop closes earlier to allow her time to clean up, as at 16:00 having someone sweeping under your feet and then proceed to remove the sugar from your table while still drinking coffees does not give a great impression, please next time kindly ask me to leave and buy a coffee in one of the many other coffee shops within a stones throw. Thank you.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Not to our liking!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We visited this little café because it looked clean and inviting... the staff on day one were pleasant and efficient I think it was the owner and her husband, we couldn't really fault it but only had toast and a teacake with a very decent cup of coffee. We decided to go back on the Tuesday morning and have breakfast BUT we were confronted with a very bored and uninterested waitress who needs a lesson in customer service, she could hardly be bothered to take our order. The breakfast is cheap and includes a drink so not all bad but what we got was not as good as expected. There is egg, half tomato, mushrooms and small amount of beans which is good but it was a real shame about the bacon and sausage. The 2 slices of bacon were nice thick slices and lean but it wasn't cooked it looked pale and almost raw on the plate and the sausage if you can call it that was so small and shrivelled that it was inedible. Needless to say we wont be going back! Shame because the owners seem really nice people who are badly let down by their staff.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Ohdear_8
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Excellent quality and good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We had Monks Haven recommended to us in 2013 and found it to be excellent but I forgot to write a review. We visited Whitby for the gothic weekend in April and knew we would have lunch at Monks Haven and exactly what we would eat. For my money the steak pie is without doubt the best I've ever had and my partner who is a chef totally agrees with me. The steak is excellent quality and the pastry is melt in the mouth. You get extra gravy which is a treat on it's own.
I've not tried anything else on the menu because I love the steak pie. Monks Haven is a smashing little café and any visitor would not be disappointed. I recommend Monks Have totally

• Visited April 2014
“Very impressed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We were only looking for somewhere to have a drink and use the WC but on entering the Monks Haven Cafe we were instantly impressed with the quaint decor and nice looking food.
At £4.95 for a cooked breakfast and coffee the was too good to pass on. For its price the food was excellent and I would certainly visit here again.

2 Thank ebean1611