“Lovely place with very welcoming staff”

and 1 more site!
Sneaton Castle Centre
Ranked #86 of 154 Whitby B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as part of a big group in May 2013. The en suite room was large and had all mod cons. I was full board and all the meals were absolutely delicious. The staff were always warm, friendly and welcoming. Thinking of booking another trip soon.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank dollywashers
ljant, Manager at Sneaton Castle Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Thank you for your kind comments. Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2013

Beautiful location. Lovely grounds. Fantastic food and great staff.
HOWEVER, my room was absolutely tiny - the smallest room I've ever been given anywhere.
The worst thing was that the walls seemed to be just constructed of thin plasterboard. Every time someone went to the loo in the night, I could hear everything. The noise of people using the bathroom didn't settle down till after 1 on my corridor then at 5, someone went again and woke me and at 6.30 someone started running a bath and I was woken again. The second night was no better. I'm not normally a light sleeper and I'd taken antihistamines to try and help me sleep but to no avail.
I really feel that Sneaton needs to get an acoustic engineer in and sort out some kind of insulation for their walls.
I think there'd been glass at some point - windows along the top of the wall onto the corridor - in my room and this appeared to just have been replaced with painted hardboard which really isn't satisfactory.
I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jennifer P
ljant, Manager at Sneaton Castle Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff and food. This weekend was very busy with a conference which I hope you enjoyed. All rooms were booked out in the main house, which is four star hostel accommodation so you did possibly get the smallest room. The hostel accommodation used to be a girls boarding school so we do have quite a few small single bedrooms. Unfortunately, all our four star ensuite guest accommodation in St Francis House had been booked out by another group.

Reviewed 3 December 2012

We stayed this weekend for 2 nights as a group booking for our annual car club xmas party. We really enjoyed it and will book again for next year. We had all the rooms together in one seperate part to the main castle and the dinner at night was in the garden room. The food was excellent. We had a separate sitting room in the complex where the bedrooms were so we could all meet up for a drink. Bedrooms were very big, lovely bathroom. Plenty of car parking in either main car park or by the bedrooms. The staff were all very helpful and efficient. The entrance to the castle is amazing. A short drive into Whitby.

Room Tip: All rooms are together(12). Two family rooms are available. other rooms are available but without e...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Christine267
ljant, Manager at Sneaton Castle Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2012

We're pleased you had such a good time and look forward to seeing you again next year! Many thanks.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

I went with a friend for a 3 night break and had a lovely time.
I advise you to go half board as the food is fabulous, especially the evening meals, and served with a smile.
The grounds are beautiful for relaxing or walking and there are two donkeys!!
Our room was huge with amazing views, very clean and had everything we needed. One tiny minus point was the fixed shower which seemed to go in every direction except where I wanted it to!
Great base for exploring Whitby, a leisurely fifteen to twenty minute stroll into the centre of town.
I will definitely be returning for another stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Helen J

Glad you enjoyed your stay. Apologies about the shower - it's now been fixed! Look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

Night before attending a conference at Sneaton decided to stay b&b so I could explore Whitby. Booking was easy, everything ran like clockwork. Handy for Whitby without being so close there are traffic and parking problems. Able to walk down but there is a handy local bus too. Grounds are superb. Plenty of lounges with TVs if wanted. Also plenty of tourist literature around. Breakfast was excellent. Rate was very good. Although the standard accommodation is not en-suite there are plenty of shower rooms, toilets and bathrooms around - no queues! Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Do't be put off by lack of en-suite in standard accommodation - you will hardly notice.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Margaret B

Thank you for your feedback - very much appreciated.

Reviewed 16 September 2012

i always read reviews of locations before I book. Ans we booked two nights at S.C.C. And the drive in is stunning. The reception staff very very helpful. We stayed in one of the small bungalows behind the centre. The room was very clean and warm. We had a wet room ans shower, A bonus for me being over six foot and 19 stone. The grounds are immaculate, and large.
The garden room where breakfast is served is a newly built dining room in keeping with the castle theme. You help yourself to coffee, juice, cereal, yoghurt, toast, etc, Ant the waiting staff serve you a breakfast full of choice.
We were so impressed we will be going back to S.C.C. without fail.
The only problem is the walk back from Whitby, mostly uphill, but again there is buses or a taxi.

Room Tip: Ask for a en-suite, as not all rooms have a bathroom.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tony F
ljant, Manager at Sneaton Castle Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review. Yes, I'm afraid it is uphill on the way back from town but very peaceful when you get here! Look forward to seeing you again. Many thanks.

Reviewed 13 September 2012

We, a group of ten, stayed for a week in the standard accommodation. Very comfortable, large lounge with TV, hot drinks machine, arm chairs. Good food. Friendly and helpful staff. Large beautiful grounds with views of the surrounding hills and sea. No wonder people return and I expect we will.
Easy downhill walk or bus into Whitby Town Centre but steepish walk back; buses stop about 5.30pm.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank dorothyh580425

We enjoyed looking after you and hope you will return in the future.